New Mike Carter Athletic Center

ORUTerry

Thought we could post updates here on the construction progress on the new athletic facility. I took a tour of it a few weeks ago and it looks nice. Have to think it will give us a recruiting edge. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm a huge fan of the new Mike Carter Athletic Center and think it will be a great benefit to our teams and recruiting and will be a fantastic new facility in so many ways.

But I'm not a huge fan of the location, I understand they wanted it near the Mabee and near the player/coach's entrance, but it just seems like an add on and takes away from the Mabee's visual aesthetic and parking, particularly from 81st. 

The beautifully renovated Mabee looks amazing... just wish they would have let her continue to shine on her own!!!

• Like 1

I’m thinking once the project is finished, it’ll be much more cohesive with the Mabee Center look. The atrium is starting to take shape now and I bet will be a real head-turner when driving on 81st. It looks like they’re going to have a big feature glass wall. 

14 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I'm a huge fan of the new Mike Carter Athletic Center and think it will be a great benefit to our teams and recruiting and will be a fantastic new facility in so many ways.

But I'm not a huge fan of the location, I understand they wanted it near the Mabee and near the player/coach's entrance, but it just seems like an add on and takes away from the Mabee's visual aesthetic and parking, particularly from 81st. 

The beautifully renovated Mabee looks amazing... just wish they would have let her continue to shine on her own!!!

Completely agree. Should have used Baby Mabee as this center and moved the Global thing to another place on campus.

• Like 1

LOL - a friend of mine (who apparently drives past the construction site frequently) has been texting me 2-3 times a month since the beams started going up, lamenting the architecture and the fact that it blocks the view of the Mabee Center from 81st Street.

His last missive just this morning was borderline apoplectic:  "THEY COULD HAVE NAMED IT "THE RAQUEL WELCH CENTER" AND IT WOULD STILL LOOK LIKE ****!!"  🤣

Honestly, I really don't care; I'm much more interested on what's inside, and what HAPPENS inside.

But, I guess I can see where some folks might be upset after hoping for a little more aesthetic symmetry...

• Haha 1

Funny stuff....TheEagleman used to have a large poster  of his favorite at the time Raquel Welch  on  the dorm wall 5th floor yellow Men's Dorm back in the day..... needless to say that was not popular with Asst Director Bill Techanchuck who often threatened TheEagleman with expulsion.....he was all bark and no bite.....now Jack Wallace was another matter....but he never approached me about it.......maybe he liked Raquel in her yellow string bikini......😎

7 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman used to have a large poster  of his favorite at the time Raquel Welch  on the wall of the dorm wall 5th floor yellow Men's Dorm back in the day..... 😎

let me guess.....there was a tunnel behind it....

What say there fuzzy britches?

• Haha 1

HAHAHA!!!....TheEagleman was no Andy Dufresne in Shawshank....was not looking to escape the Mens Dorm but i did have to take that poster down during Sunday afternoon open houses so as not to offend the ladies.....I always tried to be the gentleman.....😎

47 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

let me guess.....there was a tunnel behind it....

What say there fuzzy britches?

"That's all it takes really, pressure and time.....that and a big (expletive deleted) poster".

morgan freeman cinema GIF

• Haha 2

Bill Tehanchuk was actually a pretty good guy.  He was not at ORU while I was there however as he had already moved on to other things.  Apparently he knew better than to mess with the Eagleman.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/5/2022 at 12:58 PM, theeagleman5 said:

HAHAHA!!!....TheEagleman was no Andy Dufresne in Shawshank....was not looking to escape the Mens Dorm but i did have to take that poster down during Sunday afternoon open houses so as not to offend the ladies.....I always tried to be the gentleman.....😎

@theeagleman5 your style and swagger on these posts is savage. You give the Honor Code a great run for its money…😂

You must have Northeast blood and not afraid of anything.

i get a kick out of your response and laugh.

• Haha 1

Image   What an incredible looking building!!....God is good!!  :shield-logo:

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Image   What an incredible looking building!!....God is good!!  :shield-logo:

It should change the trajectory of the student-athlete experience for years to come.

• Upvote 1

Oh.....and TheEagleman never had a problem with the ORU Honor Code....I was compliant at least 95% of the time.....Image result for Animal House   

• Like 1