ORU Bracketology and rankings for 2023

eagle88

Wonder if we would be matched up against St. Mary's after playing them early on. I'd probably prefer any of the others.

Word....

Tommies ranked over UofM Gophers only outshined by ORU over two Big XII schools and the marginally D-1 school at 11th & Harvard.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Too bad OU and OSU wouldn't play us this year....TheEagleman thinks we could beat both especially at Mabee Center....🤩

1 minute ago, theeagleman5 said:

Too bad OU and OSU wouldn't play us this year....TheEagleman thinks we could beat both especially at Mabee Center....🤩

We could; but not by how we've played of late. And the Sooners took the #6 Longhorns to overtime yesterday - with a chance to win/tie with the last shot.

1 minute ago, Old Titan said:

ORU cracks the Top 25 in this very respectable poll for ALL Division-1 schools (!)

Pittsburgh Sports talk Radio mentioned the poll this morning and ORU on it. They were surprised.

The announcers put down the poll because they think Pitt should be on it.

I wanted to call-in but they never gave the audience a chance to talk about the poll. 

This year the ACC isn't as good as it usually has been.

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

ORU cracks the Top 25 in this very respectable poll for ALL Division-1 schools (!)

Let's pause and enjoy this moment ... 🙂 

• Like 1

NEW AP Poll: Released February 20

Others receiving votes:

North Carolina State 54, Pittsburgh 34, Maryland 14, Oral Roberts 14, Kentucky 12, Boise State 12, Arkansas 6, Florida Atlantic 6, Charleston 4, Missouri 3, Duke 3, Illinois 2, Kent State 2, Nevada 1, Oklahoma State 1

Just now, ORUalum said:
NEW AP Poll: Released February 20

Others receiving votes:

North Carolina State 54, Pittsburgh 34, Maryland 14, Oral Roberts 14, Kentucky 12, Boise State 12, Arkansas 6, Florida Atlantic 6, Charleston 4, Missouri 3, Duke 3, Illinois 2, Kent State 2, Nevada 1, Oklahoma State 1

Moment over? :-0 

ORU tied for 28th-most votes in the AP Poll, above the likes of ("Others Receiving Votes") Kentucky, Duke, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, etc. (!!). 

And also consider that perennial-powers such as North Carolina, Louisville, Michigan State, Villanova and Oklahoma aren't even receiving any votes...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Moment over? :-0 

I mean, if getting more AP top 25 votes than we have in the last 20+ years ruins the moment for you... 

I for one am perfectly happy with the continued recognition by the AP poll, while not prematurely giving us too much to celebrate too early! As an ORU fan, I'm feeling pretty good these days 😎💪🏼

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, SonofaLegend said:

I mean, if getting more AP top 25 votes than we have in the last 20+ years ruins the moment for you... 

I for one am perfectly happy with the continued recognition by the AP poll, while not prematurely giving us too much to celebrate too early! As an ORU fan, I'm feeling pretty good these days 😎💪🏼

Not at all. 🙂 I just meant we were 25 in one poll, and then suddenly, the post about not being top 25 in the AP. What matters is that people see us and appreciate what we have accomplished--and we're in the same conversation with the teams that always seem to be in the news. This is such an exciting time!!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If ORU wins out and is 30-4 after the tournament then they should finish in the Top 25.  Not going to be easy but if the Eagles keep winning then the rankings will take care of themselves.

How AP voters ranked ORU on their 2/20 ballot (14 votes on 9 ballots)

• David Cloninger, The State (Columbia, SC) - 23rd (3 votes)
  • Kelly Hines, Tulsa World - 25th (1 vote)
  • Chad Leistkow, Des Moines (IA) Register - 25th (1 vote)
  • Mia O'Brien, First Coast News (Jacksonville, FL) - 25th (1 vote)
  • Dave Preston, WTOP Radio (Washington, DC) - 25th (1 vote)
  • Justin Jackson, Morgantown (WV) Dominion Post - 24th (2 votes)
  • Rick Bozich, WDRB-TV (Louisville, KY) - 23rd (3 votes)
  • Sam Cannon, All Bruins (Los Angeles, CA) - 25th (1 vote)
  • Zach Klein, WSB (Atlanta, GA) - 25th (1 vote)

Notes of interest:  

1. ORU returns to the ballot of Dave Preston at WTOP Radio after a one-week hiatus.
  2. Kelly Hines of the Tulsa World still has ORU at No. 25, and is still omitting OSU (lol).
  3. No regionalism at all in ORU votes; majority are from outside the Summit League footprint
  4. Along those lines, a little puzzling (and disappointing) that Marcus Fuller, who covers St. Thomas and the Summit League for the St. Paul Pioneer Press, is not yet voting for ORU.

• Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Let's pause and enjoy this moment ... 🙂 

Seriously. What a magical season. 

• Like 3

ORU picks up 6 votes in the Coaches Poll, to rank 32nd.

As many of you know, the Coaches Poll is generally considered to be a bit sketch, with some coaches assigning the weekly voting duties to media relation directors, student managers, or their 13-year-old daughters.

Example:  how is Big 12 cellar-dwelling Texas Tech garnering more votes than conference upper-tier Oklahoma State?? #smh

TheEagleman agrees with Keenan above...if ORU wins out with 5 victories to finish 30-4 then you will probably see ORU in the Top 25 AP poll and as high as possibly a 10-11 seed in the Tournament....one loss and we won't have a shot at any poll....not without any Quad 1 wins.....it will be interesting to see how we play this week vs. USD and SDSU in preparation for the Summit League Tournament.......:circle-logoi: