ORU Bracketology and rankings for 2023

eagle88

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

What the heck is up with Coach Mills and all the media appearances this week?

Makes one wonder if someone isn't trying to raise their Q Score...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Russ is the best!!  We got to know him a bit while he was at ORU.  I've enjoyed watching his career.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, OKC Eagle said:

Could be interview prep. Could be tournament seed lobbying. 

Could be a savvy agent... 😬

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

That means we are one step away from a #11 play-in game in Dayton.  I don't see the play-in game being a good thing for us (IMHO).

Again, it is possible to be a No. 11 and not play in Dayton - most years, there are SIX No. 11's; four of them comprise the "Last Four In" at-large teams playing in Dayton, the other two simply play against No. 6's in the traditional first round.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

It’s my understanding that auto-bids will not be play-in games. 
(But I haven’t taken the time to research that)

Agreed.  AQ’s can only play in the 16 seed play-ins.  The other play-ins are for the final four at large bids. 

Big game for Liberty and by extension ORU's NET ranking tonight

Liberty (21-6, 12-2) and Kennesaw State (20-7, 12-2) meet in a game that will most likely determine the winner of the ASUN regular season championship. This is their only meeting of the year, and is taking place on Kennesaw State’s home floor, where they are a perfect 12-0 this season.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the heads up....TheEagleman will be following that Liberty game tonight.....I happened to watch the 2nd half of the 2OT classic the other night between Creighton and Providence...these are two teams that could be 5 or 6 seeds next month and possible ORU opponents.....a really great match up that was played at a high level....would be interesting to see how ORU would compete vs. teams like that.......maybe on a neutral court we could win.....:tb-white:

I kind of feel like ORU has a 'soft ceiling' of a 12-seed. Low major conference with no Q1 victories and there are a lot of really good mid majors this year, plus add in the committee's usual preference for letting in as many power conference teams as possible.

Using the OVC as an example, Murray State was a 12-seed in 2018 and 2019, and this was with future 2nd overall draft pick Ja Morant. Of course, Murray State was a 7-seed last year as a member of the MVC.

Plus higher than a 12 likely means a 2nd round matchup with one of the top 3 seeds in the region, barring any upsets.

9 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Thanks for the heads up....TheEagleman will be following that Liberty game tonight.....I happened to watch the 2nd half of the 2OT classic the other night between Creighton and Providence...these are two teams that could be 5 or 6 seeds next month and possible ORU opponents.....a really great match up that was played at a high level....would be interesting to see how ORU would compete vs. teams like that.......maybe on a neutral court we could win.....:tb-white:

Liberty "flames" out and loses to Kennesaw St 88-81

Of the 11 teams ranked 22-32 in the AP poll, 6 of them lost this week (#22 TCU, #23 NC State, #25 Florida Atlantic, #26 Missouri, #28 Illinois, #31 Oklahoma St).

And a couple others, #29 Pitt and #30 Nevada have tough road games this weekend (also, TCU and OSU play each other).

Any chance ORU gets enough votes to break the top 25?

• Like 1