ORU Bracketology and rankings for 2023

eagle88

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Might add Grant McCasland at North Texas to that "possible friend of the program" list - he coached at Baylor with Paul Mills.

My money is on either Randy Bennett at Saint Mary's or Rob Jeter at Western Illinois.

I'd really like to get a home and home scheduled with that possible friend. UNT is currently #49 in the NET rankings.

Another suspect that I missed, who might appreciate ORU's season - actual old friend Greg Kampe.

The more I consider this unusually-articulated metric, the more it impresses me.

I mean, look at the company you're keeping!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ORUTex said:

It appears that every time you close your browser and go back to the site, you can vote again. Just sayin'

And on a completely unrelated note, Kelly Hines now has the highest rated bracket. I'm working just as hard for the other 3.

Highest Rated Ballots

kelly-hines.jpgKelly Hines (15)Tulsa World (Tulsa, OK)
bruce-pascoe.jpgBruce Pascoe (14)Arizona Daily Star (Tucson, AZ)
justin-jackson.jpgJustin Jackson (11)Morgantown Dominion Post (Morgantown, WV)

Lowest Rated Ballots

brian-holland.jpgBrian Holland (-13)WVLA-TV/WGMB-TV (Baton Rouge, LA)
seth-davis.jpgSeth Davis (-11)CBS-Sports Illustrated (New York City, NY)
dave-borges.jpgDave Borges (-10)New Haven Register (New Haven, CT)

Most Extreme Ballots

dylan-sinn.jpgDylan SinnThe Journal Gazette (Fort Wayne, IN)
brian-holland.jpgBrian HollandWVLA-TV/WGMB-TV (Baton Rouge, LA)
david-jones.jpgDavid JonesPenn Live (Dowington, PA)

Least Extreme Ballots

john-werner.jpgJohn WernerWaco Tribune-Herald (Waco, TX)
jay-tust.jpgJay TustKTVB (Boise, ID)
cl-brown.jpgC.L. BrownRaleigh News & Observer 

11 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Doug Gottlieb is the Baker Mayfield of sports talk:  he means well, but his reach often exceeds his grasp:

What a turnaround.  A few weeks ago he was amazed to learn we have the highest NET ranking in Oklahoma.  He really is a Skip Bayless starter kit who is reaching with extreme opinions trying to get attention.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ORUTex said:

And on a completely unrelated note, Kelly Hines now has the highest rated bracket. I'm working just as hard for the other 3.

Highest Rated Ballots

kelly-hines.jpgKelly Hines (15)Tulsa World (Tulsa, OK)
bruce-pascoe.jpgBruce Pascoe (14)Arizona Daily Star (Tucson, AZ)
justin-jackson.jpgJustin Jackson (11)Morgantown Dominion Post (Morgantown, WV)

Lowest Rated Ballots

brian-holland.jpgBrian Holland (-13)WVLA-TV/WGMB-TV (Baton Rouge, LA)
seth-davis.jpgSeth Davis (-11)CBS-Sports Illustrated (New York City, NY)
dave-borges.jpgDave Borges (-10)New Haven Register (New Haven, CT)

Most Extreme Ballots

dylan-sinn.jpgDylan SinnThe Journal Gazette (Fort Wayne, IN)
brian-holland.jpgBrian HollandWVLA-TV/WGMB-TV (Baton Rouge, LA)
david-jones.jpgDavid JonesPenn Live (Dowington, PA)

Least Extreme Ballots

john-werner.jpgJohn WernerWaco Tribune-Herald (Waco, TX)
jay-tust.jpgJay TustKTVB (Boise, ID)
cl-brown.jpgC.L. BrownRaleigh News & Observer 

1.  Who among us could see a day when Kelly Hines would receive so much support on this board?

2.  Any theories on why Mia O'Brien is getting skewered for her ballot?  I got her moved up to a minus 39.

Doug Gottlieb has always been an ORU supporter....at least he has since the DoMo days....TheEagleman likes him.....but yeah...Skip Bayless is a complete tool.....talk about a guy who is stealing $$$.....I wish i could get that gig.....Image result for Skip Bayless

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Doug Gottlieb has always been an ORU supporter....at least he has since the DoMo days....TheEagleman likes him.....but yeah...Skip Bayless is a complete tool.....talk about a guy who is stealing $$$.....I wish i could get that gig.....Image result for Skip Bayless

Doug Gottlieb has been a Sutton family friend. He was an ORU supporter when Scott was coaching and fell off the wagon when he was let go.  Seems that he may have found his way back home this season. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Doug Gottlieb has been a Sutton family friend. He was an ORU supporter when Scott was coaching and fell off the wagon when he was let go.  Seems that he may have found his way back home this season. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, a lot of folks who have been hyper-critical of the ORU program in past years are clamboring back onto the band wagon these days.

(Personally guilty as charged, but in marketing parlance I am claiming Early Adaptor status as opposed to being a Laggard).

Expression Reaction GIF by Steve Harvey TV

I thought it would be interesting to revisit what some posters predicted back in October in Expectations for upcoming season:

ORUalum: conference championship and return trip to the dance

TheEagleman will be disappointed if ORU doesn't win 25 and take the Summit League title in Sioux Falls.... end of story....

eagle88: I am in the camp that believes ORU will win their Conference and make some noise in the Big Dance.

Mr_TwoFive: Gotta win all home games. Sweep the ones you’re supposed to sweep. Split the Dakotas. It’s hard to win @ Frost. Can’t afford a bad loss. 

ORUFan2009: I'm all for looking at things from an impartial perspective but 3rd in conference play? Really? That kind of prediction says we're closer to winning a bid to the CBI than NCAA.  

Anything less than 15-3 would be disappointing. However, this squad could very well run the table in conference play. My prediction is 16-2

Old Titan: Since rejoining the Summit League for the 2014-15 season, here is ORU's W-L record against perennial "top half" dwellers SDSU, NDSU, and USD:

• SDSU:  3-15 (0-7 away, 2-7 home, 1-1 neutral)
  • NDSU:  6-15 (1-8 away, 4-3 home, 1-4 neutral)
  • USD:  6-9 (3-5 away, 3-4 home, 0-0 neutral)

All three of those teams are predicted to finish in the top four of the league again this year.

You're saying ORU will have only two losses for the entire regular season, including 6 home-and-away games vs. that trio? Sorry, not seeing it:  I think ORU will lose all the road games vs. those three, and probably one of the return games in Tulsa. That's four losses right there, plus in my mind two more road losses:  Denver, and either Western or UMKC. That spells 12-6, and a third place finish again. But, as always, I would be thrilled to be proven wrong!

TrueBlue82: For post-season, ORU wins two to reach the tournament title game, but falls in the championship game against one of the Dakota schools with a huge "neutral court" advantage.  By virtue of winning the regular season, ORU advances to the NIT with a 23-10 record.

ORob2: ESPN just released their preseason “Matchup Predictor” for the upcoming season’s games.  They currently are only predicting 6(!) ORU losses this season: Saint Mary’s, Houston, Utah State, Tulsa, @SDSU, and @SD, ending the season 24-6!

Look at where we are now!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

TheEagleman knows that Old Titan and True Blue are not idiots...but they sure sound like ones in the pre-season comments above...LOL.....and weren't they together as ORU Stat guys back in the 80s?....geez....what a combo........was able to search the archives and came up with this old photo of our two board heroes......Image result for Dumb and Dumber

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman knows that Old Titan and True Blue are not idiots...but they sure sound like ones in the pre-season comments above...LOL.....and weren't they together as ORU Stat guys back in the 80s?....geez....what a combo........was able to search the archives and came up with this old photo of our two board heroes......Image result for Dumb and Dumber

Seriously??? This photo is one of our best!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

ROCK STARS!!!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, titansforever said:

I thought it would be interesting to revisit what some posters predicted back in October in Expectations for upcoming season:

TrueBlue82: For post-season, ORU wins two to reach the tournament title game, but falls in the championship game against one of the Dakota schools with a huge "neutral court" advantage.  By virtue of winning the regular season, ORU advances to the NIT with a 23-10 record.

This is a great recap of pre-season expectations, titansforever...  There's no doubt that this team has totally exceeded everyone's expectations (except maybe the team members themselves).

To add context to my preseason post above, I also found my post from November 23, right after the Utah State loss, when the team was 3-3 and the message board was in meltdown mode (seriously, it's a pretty interesting read): 

I originally (pre-season) predicted a 21-9 regular season and a loss in the conference tourney title game.  Now, after six games, I will take the OVER on 21 wins, and will also predict ORU to WIN the tourney in Sioux Falls, after two impressive performances (albeit losses) on the road against top 50 teams.  We will see...

It just took me a few weeks to warm up to this team's potential! 🤩

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1