ORU Bracketology and rankings for 2023

eagle88

Hard to pick against SDSU but they will miss Scheierman and Wilson

• Upvote 1

Yeah, he picked Zeke Mayo from SDSU to battle Max for player of the year candidate.  He was a good freshman last year but Mayo's no Mid Court Max, but he might be in a couple of years.  St. Thomas will be better.  They mostly played with D3 guys last year but now have some talented freshman and D1 transfers.

Basically, here is my take on the Summit League and it's three tiers:

Top Level, which any team could win the league:

ORU, South Dakota, and SDSU (but Eagles win)

Middle Level, which could be really tough by February or March:

Denver, NDSU, and St. Thomas (each has some good pieces but will need everything to really come together as the season continues)

Bottom Level, which has a lot of question marks:

Western Illinois, KC, Omaha, and North Dakota (lost a lot last year and are mainly relying on juco's and freshman)

One thing that seems to run through most of the league is that many teams gained big guys 6'10 to 7'5, not just ORU

Our last regular season conference title was 10+ years ago. 

I mean, I get it that we want respect. But, how about we take it as opposed to whining about not getting it. 

• Upvote 2

Sean Paul is definitely a friend of the program. He has given us more ink that any national writer I can remember.

2 hours ago, dbl78 said:

Is Sean Paul any relation to the Paul family that was associated with ORU for such a long time?  (Dr. Harold Paul / George Paul)

I don't think so; pretty sure he's from way up north.

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman once had Dr. Harold Paul for Humanities Class at 7:50am.....brutal.....loved Dr. Paul but that was always tough especially on a Monday morning.....😬......hard to believe that it was 50 years ago last week that TheEagleman arrived for his freshman year at 7777 So. Lewis....so much has transpired since August 1972 but I consider myself to have had a blessed life....God has been very good to TheEagleman thru marriage...divorce.... remarriage....kids....grandkids....jobs gained and jobs lost....The Lord has orchestrated every plus and every minus and taught me much in those hard times and struggles.....turned 68 yesterday and hoping God can still use me down here for a few years but I am ready to go any time he is ready to call me home.....I know you guys think that TheEagleman is a goof a lot of the time but i am thankful for all of you and the joy and fun that you bring to my life...ORU has been a big part of it....and not just sports....i have learned much from my time in Tulsa and still have some friendships from those days....grown a ton spiritually and have to cringe at some of the shananigans we pulled in the 70s....lots of wonderful memories and four of the best years of my life....I tell that to my 20 year old grandson who is now a Junior at the U of Colorado in Boulder....HS and college should be the best times....because once you are done then life really starts......just a few nuggets of wisdom from a really old Titan.....God Bless you all....👍

Great sentiment @theeagleman5!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Wow - hyperbole much?

I HATE high expectations; so very hard to live up to!

So, here's some good ol' pragmatism/pessimism, as only I can bring it.

To clarify:  this roster is loaded on OFFENSE.

But unless they learn to play defense, the only thing "legendary" about this season may be the level of disappointment.

Sure hope I'm wrong!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

TheEagleman was unaware that Anthony Roberts had been raised from the grave for ORU this season....can't wait for November....😮:circle-logoi:😉

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman was unaware that Anthony Roberts had been raised from the grave for ORU this season....can't wait for November....😮:circle-logoi:😉

Inappropriately accurate... 😬

Sorry no offense meant to Tony and his family.....Anthony Roberts the best ORU player of all time, a really nice guy and TheEaglemans' personal favorite.....RIP Woosie!! 👍

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Wow - hyperbole much?

I HATE high expectations; so very hard to live up to!

So, here's some good ol' pragmatism/pessimism, as only I can bring it.

To clarify:  this roster is loaded on OFFENSE.

But unless they learn to play defense, the only thing "legendary" about this season may be the level of disappointment.

Sure hope I'm wrong!!

Couldn't agree more OT, I would add that we not only need to learn to play D we need to add the most ingredient of a good defensive team, desire. We have to want to be a good defensive TEAM. Good defense teams play tough man to man D; and equally as important, good sound team defense. An example would be the scheme is for the wing to force the offense with the ball to the baseline, which is common- keep the ball out of the lane, so the big can close off the drive, but then the weak side help defender has to come over and deny the pass into the post to replace the big that stopped the drive, and the guard has to drop to replace the weak side defender in the lane who went over to replace the big. Any of these players don't do their job (help the helper) and they get an open shot, or the weak side offense rebound for an easy put back or a new possession. One guy doesn't do his job and team D breaks down we saw that much too often last year.

One other area that I think will be huge factor in whether we are successful this year is our rotation. Coach obviously went out in the off season with the objective of getting bigger, and more athletic. He added good size and athleticism, now we need to utilize it! Playing small ball with 3 guards again will lead to the same disappointing result as last season. We are bigger, stronger and more athletic with a much deeper bench so let's take advantage of it. We need to add other options to just shooting 3's, with the athletes we have we can get up and down the floor more, attack the rim off the dribble, post up the mismatches our size will create.

Talent gives us options and hopefully we take full advantage of it!!    

• Upvote 3