Is Max the GOAT???

TrueBlue82

7 hours ago, dave said:

It will be extremely interesting to see how Max plays this season without the nagging injury he seemed to endure all of last season.

This^^^^

Max is the only first team all summit league guy returning next year, so not sure who would even be in the running with him for preseason Summit League Player of the Year.  Maybe AJ Piltzeski from South Dakota but he is coming off an inury and missed the entire 21-22 season. 

I would agree with you OT in that Max seems to have fallen off of most people's radar (outside of the forum) and will probaly not be on any 1st-3rd All American teams.  With all this talent that ORU has, Max will most likely not lead the nation in scoring this year.  He might even drop a little to say 20 points a game, instead of the 23-24 he averaged the last two seasons.

I don't know if it was just me but in those Pacers workout videos Max looked bigger and was elevating higher (almost like how McBride does with his jumper).

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I don't know if it was just me but in those Pacers workout videos Max looked bigger and was elevating higher (almost like how McBride does with his jumper).

Agreed!  His vertical has increased, and he’s always been a sneaky-quick leaper on long rebounds. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2022 at 11:05 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

Last year, Max was a hot topic with the preseason publishers.  Many had him as a first or second team all american.  Will we see that again this year or does he fall back into just being a good player? Is the hype gone?

Max has already been mentioned on at least two early lists of Top 25 returning players, coming in at #22 by Andy Katz and #8 by The Field of 68, so I wouldn’t say that the hype is gone.  There’s no doubt that a season without KO and some nagging injuries have reduced his overall standing in the media’s eye, but he’s still very much on their radar screen.  If he returns to 20-21 form early in the season, they will quickly jump on the Max bandwagon. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I talked with Max’s Dad recently and he confirmed Max played through painful injuries all season long. Troy is a strong man and obviously has raised a tough kid. He admitted that Max was tougher than him from how he played through his injuries! He said Max is a lot healthier and that no doubt will be a big factor in his success this coming season! Max’s game is built on quickness and agility so what he accomplished last year with painful injuries is nothing short of a miracle!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

It is very impressive that Max was a Top 5 scorer nationally while playing through an injury for at least 2/3 of the season.

• Upvote 2

Here is a text from Max’s Dad. “Max is headed back tomorrow…..time to meet the new team members and form the bond. If everyone comes to play this year we have a great chance to do great things”. If any of you haven’t met Troy and Erika Abmas yet I hope you will meet them this year and it will become  clear why Max is such a special young man!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

TheEagleman loves Max.....but as of today....the Mt. Rushmore of ORU Men's Basketball is still....Roberts.....Fuqua....Acres and Green......this will be open to review again after the 2022-23 season but for now.....case closed.....:circle-logoi:

2 hours ago, eagle88 said:

Here is a text from Max’s Dad. “Max is headed back tomorrow…..time to meet the new team members and form the bond. If everyone comes to play this year we have a great chance to do great things”. If any of you haven’t met Troy and Erika Abmas yet I hope you will meet them this year and it will become  clear why Max is such a special young man!

Totally agree.  I couldn’t believe how much time he spent speaking to @ORob2and me after a game last season. I simply wanted to say, “hello” and tell him how much I appreciated Max and his loyalty to ORU. Troy introduced himself (and his wife), and actually took the conversation over for 20 minutes or so.  I almost felt bad but he was driving most of the dialogue with great insight about ORU basketball.  Then, just as we were breaking things off, Mrs. Abmas said, “Hey would y’all like to meet Max?  Here he comes…”. So we got a few pics and Max signed an old #3 jersey-thank you, Josh Atkinson! 😉 😎

Rob

0908075D-7D21-44B3-BFED-2E880BD65358.jpeg

3E5A9D9E-61C5-432B-8626-FBA68FF51803.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I’d say I’m about 6’-3” but continue to measure just under 5’-11”… 😁

Just asking because you were standing pretty close to Max. Wonder what his true height is. 

1 hour ago, ORob1 said:

I’d say I’m about 6’-3” but continue to measure just under 5’-11”… 😁

Hey, how about that - just like Max! 😉

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ttowncount said:

Questions:

What year would this have been?

Who is #14?

Who is #30?

Thanks. 

479377DF-5C0F-4A22-94A6-128DD861F16F.jpeg

88319FA5-75D4-4B52-9D2A-BF7995988345.jpeg

110E34F5-2E79-4593-B8FA-46C6945DDE80.jpeg

C7761E58-4F99-4EC4-9BA3-F681D1BE7302.jpeg

This is the 2006-07 team.  #14 is Jonathan Bluitt; #30 will be in the rafters some day - Caleb Green.