Summit All-League Honors

TrueBlue82

If there was any question that ORU had the talent to win the tourney this weekend, the all-league honors should dispel any such thoughts.  On the first team, ORU ran away with SEVEN of the 14 selections, while tournament foes NDSU, SDSU and Omaha earned TWO each, and Northern Colorado captured the final spot. 

ORU first-team honorees:

Ledgend Smith, SP (also pitcher of the year)

Isaac Coffey, SP

Jake McMurray, 1B

Jackson Loftin, SS

Caleb Denny, OF

Joshua Cox, OF

AJ Archambo, UT

On the second team, NDSU led with 6, SDSU 3, Omaha and ORU with 2, and one for Western Illinois. 

ORU second-team honorees:

Holden Breeze, 3B

Cade Denton, RP

The most grievous tragedy of these selections IMHO is how Cade Denton was not named first-team relief pitcher, and should have received strong consideration for pitcher of the year.  While Ryan Bourassa had a very nice season for SDSU, Cade’s stats were OFF THE CHARTS CRAZY GOOD.  I would ask anyone (seriously) to compare their stats, and explain how Bourassa could possibly be selected over Denton, except for a “we already have too many ORU players on the team” or “we need to have more players with Dakota on their jersey” bias.  I guess Cade will get the chance to show the voters how wrong they were this weekend!

Cade Denton got hosed....plain and simple...now ORU needs to go out and kick some butt this week in the Tournament...time to show the Summit League that the Golden Eagles are Top Dog...if we lose then we are just dogs...:shield-logo:

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 11:22 AM, TrueBlue82 said:

The most grievous tragedy of these selections IMHO is how Cade Denton was not named first-team relief pitcher, and should have received strong consideration for pitcher of the year.  While Ryan Bourassa had a very nice season for SDSU, Cade’s stats were OFF THE CHARTS CRAZY GOOD.  I would ask anyone (seriously) to compare their stats, and explain how Bourassa could possibly be selected over Denton, except for a “we already have too many ORU players on the team” or “we need to have more players with Dakota on their jersey” bias.  I guess Cade will get the chance to show the voters how wrong they were this weekend!

You were exactly right and he did exactly that!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I talked to Cade at one of the Summit League tournament games.  He is a very nice young man.  I asked what his major is and he said he was mechanical engineering, but was changing to Business Admin because all of the labs would cause him to miss too much practice.  That is sad that it can't be worked out.

On 5/24/2022 at 11:22 AM, TrueBlue82 said:

During the Summit League Tournament, we had scouts from the Rangers and Royals in our box.  They were there to see two players in the ORU-SDSU game: Jackson Lofton and Ryan Bourassa.  JLo didn't disappoint that night, but Bourassa didn't get into that game (he did get into the elimination game the next day and the Royals scout was there to see him - which was unimpressive). 

As the game went on, I told them that they needed to see Cade pitch.  Neither of them had heard about him because he was a sophomore and not draft-eligible yet, but Cade entered the game in the late innings and did a great job.  He will be on the radar screen for next year, I would think.

• Like 1