Mid-Con President's Meeting

mickeyb

Ah, look an answer in print.  ORUTerry is a powerful man, he asks a question and paper's print stories to answer it!  :wink:  :-D

Believe me, ORUTerry speaks and things happen, 89rabbit!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 89rabbit

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• Quark

bilde?Site=G3&Date=20060709&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=607090320&Ref=AR&Profile=1006&MaxW=290

yet another article about mid-con expansion and the possibility of SUU leaving the conference...it's a pretty long so i'll just post a link...but the best line in the article has to be:

So what does the collective group of NDSU, SDSU and IPFW bring to the Mid-Con other than even more confusing/slightly amusing acronyms?

http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060709/SPORTS/607090320/1006

• 1 month later...

Here is a link to an Argus Leader story about the site visits:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 002/SPORTS

SDSU ready for its Mid-Con visit

Chris Solari

csolari@argusleader.com

August 9, 2006

There might be a few new marquees around Brookings welcoming the Mid-Continent Conference.

But with league leaders in town to study South Dakota State for possible inclusion in the Division I conference, the plan of school officials is to maintain the status quo.

"Everyone is pretty optimistic - people are happy they're coming for a site visit," said Fred Oien, SDSU's athletic director. "We're going to be South Dakota State University. We're not going to be someone we're not."

The Mid-Con's seven-person group will begin trickling into Brookings today. Commissioner Tom Douple and his two assistant commissioners have been in Fargo visiting North Dakota State since Monday and won't arrive in Brookings until late tonight, with meetings scheduled to begin Thursday and finish Saturday morning.

League officials also toured Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne last week.

The Mid-Con site visit team includes Commissioner Tom Douple, his two assistant commissioners and four others from various league members: a president, an athletic director, a senior women's administrator and a faculty athletic representative.

The visitors will hold about 70 meetings with 100-or-so members of the various portions of the SDSU community - from academic faculty to athletic department employees to student-athletes and game and arena management staff. The meetings will last for about 13 hours each day.

"It's very much a business visit," said Douple, who added that the league expects to make an expansion decision some time next month.  .  .  . (read more)

Looks like the Mid-Con visit went great at NDSU, looking like NDSU has a great chance at getting into the conference. Here the article from the Fargo Forum....

NDSU impresses visitors

By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum

Published Thursday, August 10, 2006

It took Oral Roberts University President Richard Roberts about 1 hour, 50 minutes to fly from Tulsa, Okla., to Fargo on Wednesday morning. His glowing, 1-minute assessment of North Dakota State left school administrators flying high.

Roberts was part of the Mid-Continent Conference site visit team, which concluded its three-day tour of the campus and community. So when Roberts, who along with five other presidents have the final vote on conference expansion, called NDSU ?one of the best-kept secrets in this part of the country,? the vibe among NDSU officials was optimistic.

?If I may say, it?s been one of the most delightful days of my life,? Roberts said. ?To see what we have seen on this campus. It was amazing what we heard. I?ve done some studying on North Dakota State, but seeing is believing.?

NDSU will now have to wait until a September Mid-Con Presidents Council meeting to see if it will be accepted. The league is also considering Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne and South Dakota State. Commissioner Thomas Douple said the league could take one, two or all three.

If it?s up to Roberts, NDSU would appear to be a lock. A school needs five votes from the seven league members eligible to vote. The eighth conference member, Valparaiso University (Ind.), which is leaving the conference after next season, does not get a vote.

?I only have one of (seven) votes,? Roberts said. ?My responsibility is to speak to the other university presidents. I will tell them what I?m telling you. This is a remarkable institution. I felt at home here. I?m not too sure how easy it will be to come up here and win but it will be a joy to come and compete here.?....

Link to the rest of the artcle at Bisonzone.com

In addition to RR's glowing report, in the picture accompanying the article Douple and Grom appear to be enjoying themselves.  Looks like NDSU is a lock.

Good luck to SDSU on their Mid-Con visit.

From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 1003/rss03

Mid-Con site visit a hit

Conference members 'pleased' with SDSU's facilities, academics

Chris Solari

csolari@argusleader.com

August 12, 2006

BROOKINGS -- Peggy Miller and Fred Oien could barely contain their smiles.

One by one, the seven Mid-Continent Conference leaders took their turn gushing about South Dakota State on Friday evening. They said they were moved by the passion of the community and campus for Jackrabbit athletics, and admitted being "jealous" of the school's funding model and overall academic make-up.

Most of all, they couldn't seem to mention enough about "how pleased" they were with the visit.  .  .  .  (read more)

Congrats on what appears to have been a very positive visit from the Mid-Con, 89rabbit.  I'd say that things are looking good for both SDSU and NDSU as far as gaining membership in the league.

From President Roberts' comments regarding NDSU as well as the other Mid-Con representatives - and the comments of the SDSU review team - it appears that both Dakota schools will be invited into the league. My guess is that if one is invited, both of them will be - for travel purposes. I have also heard that the northern schools are insistent on asking IPFW into the league because of their close proximity to those schools. IPFW also helps the league maintain its eligibility as it will come into the league immediately - not on a provisional basis.

IPFW also helps the league maintain its eligibility as it will come into the league immediately - not on a provisional basis.

I was thinking about the eligibility question at the time of my last post.  If all three of these teams, SDSU, NDSU, and IPFW, are accepted into the league, where does that leave us overall regarding league eligibility for the automatic bid to the NCAA basketball tournament? 

I know we've discussed this before, but I don't remember where we will stand with that, and I thought someone a little more familiar with the rules might be able to tell me.

Another story this time from the Brookings Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/main.p ... 51&page=25

Mid-Con officials give thumbs up

BY JOSH LINEHAN

One by one, members of the Mid-Continent Conference's site visit delegation took the stage at the Performing Arts Center on campus Friday and extolled the virtues of SDSU.

After visiting Fargo, N.D., and NDSU earlier in the week, the delegation met with more than 100 people and toured the campus and athletic facilities in both Sioux Falls and Brookings.

"We're leaving here with a very favorable impression of the campus and the athletic department," Mid-Con Commissioner Tom Douple said.

On stage with Fred Oien, SDSU athletic director, and Peggy Gordon Miller, SDSU president, the seven visitors all had mostly positive reviews following their tours.

Douple twice took the opportunity to laud Miller and Oien for moving the university to the Division I level, saying, "It was a bold move, but through your vision and courage, it has become a reality, and you are to be commended."  .  .  .  (read more)

I was thinking about the eligibility question at the time of my last post.  If all three of these teams, SDSU, NDSU, and IPFW, are accepted into the league, where does that leave us overall regarding league eligibility for the automatic bid to the NCAA basketball tournament? 

I know we've discussed this before, but I don't remember where we will stand with that, and I thought someone a little more familiar with the rules might be able to tell me.

31.3.4.3 Additional Requirements, Men?s Basketball. The member conference must include seven

core institutions. For the purposes of this legislation, core refers to an institution that has been an

active member of Division I the eight preceding years. Further, the continuity-of-membership

requirement shall be met only if a minimum of six core institutions have conducted conference

competition together in Division I the preceding five years in men?s basketball. There shall be no

exception to the five-year waiting period. Any new member added to a member conference that

satisfies these requirements shall be immediately eligible to represent the conference as the auto-

matic qualifier. (Revised: 8/14/90, 12/3/90, 4/27/00, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04)

Thanks 89rabbit.  I'm glad to have the specific reference - now I'll just need to figure out how we stack up. 

From what I can gather, the league is headed towards inviting all three schools. IPFW because they have to and the two Dakota schools because they want to. Not sure if anything can stop this from occuring.

A couple of years back, while in Oregon for Christmas, I went and saw IPFW play at Oregon State.  At the time NOBODY was interested in adding IPFW to the Mid-Con (although IPFW was wanting in).  Now they're nearly a shoe-in.

Funny how the passage of time changes things.

Just more schools to fed into the jaws of ORU's well oiled athletics juggernaut.

More news from South Dakota:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 002/SPORTS

Mid-Con decision nears

SDSU should know by October

Chris Solari

csolari@argusleader.com

August 25, 2006

Students are returning to campus in Brookings this weekend, but South Dakota State leaders are anxiously awaiting the results of their big summer test.

It's simple: The Mid-Continent Conference came and examined SDSU for possible membership. A grade of pass or fail - or in this case, in or out - is expected before October.

Mid-Con Commissioner Tom Douple said the three site teams that made visits to SDSU, North Dakota State and Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne all have submitted their reports to him this week. The league's office in Chicago is compiling the individuals' reports into a single overview of each school.

Douple, who visited all three schools that are being examined for expansion, said he is in the process of arranging the seven league presidents for a conference call that will take place within the next three weeks. He plans to pass along the reports on each of the three schools by next week.

"Sooner would be better," he said.  .  .  .  (read more)