Mid-Con President's Meeting

mickeyb

Full story is on the Mid-Con website ... Here are two of the highlights:

Expansion

The Presidents Council discussed conference expansion at length at the meeting. It was recommended that the conference proceed with site visits to three institutions - IPFW, North Dakota State and South Dakota State. The site visits will be scheduled over the summer. A full report from the site visit teams will be provided to the Presidents Council in a timely manner for review and action at a yet to be determined fall meeting.

Baseball Championship Location

2006-07 Mid-Con Championship Calendar

Sport - Date(s) (Site/Host)

Baseball - May 24-26, 2007 (Macomb, Ill./Western Illinois)

No big surprises with expansion.  IPFW, NDSU and SDSU were the three most likely candidates.  But how about the baseball championship being played somewhere other than Tulsa!  Something just doesn't seem right about that.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 89rabbit

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• FargoBison

I had heard (don't remember where) that the Mid-Con baseball tournament would likely be in Macomb next year.  It's only fair to move it around from time to time, but I'll miss having it in town.  This year's tournament was pure enjoyment to me. 

After all of his efforts, looks like 89rabbit may get what he was hoping for after all. 

not to sound like a jerk, but is the baseball championship going to even have anybody at it up there?  ORU had enough trouble filling it up, (not that we ever did) but just when i thought we could pack the stadium due to last season, its moved. It is fair though, but with the new players we'll pick up due to this season, it may not matter where we play, we'll see.

I had heard (don't remember where) that the Mid-Con baseball tournament would likely be in Macomb next year.  It's only fair to move it around from time to time, but I'll miss having it in town.  This year's tournament was pure enjoyment to me. 

After all of his efforts, looks like 89rabbit may get what he was hoping for after all. 

I didn't do anything except post about one of my favorite subject with great fans from other schools.  I will tell you that I and the rest of the Jackrabbit Nation are very excited about today's news!  :-D

I saw the Jack Rabbits' budget combined for all sports.  How much of that is spent on football?  Are the other sports fully funded?

South Dakota State University

Expenses

Men's Teams    Womrn's Teams          Total

Basketball                              $471,263          $455,398                  $926,661 

Football                                $1,369,501                                      $1,369,501 

Total Expenses of all Sports,

except football and basketball,

combined                              $658,264          $961,188                  $1,619,452 

Total Expenses                      $2,499,028        $1,416,586                $3,915,614 

Not allocated by gender                                                                $2,631,767 

Grand Total Expenses                                                                    $6,547,381 

Re: SDSU's budget, the Rabbits are in the process of ramping up scholarships--currently offering 116 scholarships in all sports last year, with a plan to increase to 196 in all sports by 2010-11.  Scholarships are currently about 17% of the athletic department's expenditures as of last year.

This Annual Report document (pdf) will answer a lot of questions about SDSU.

I'm looking forward to coming down to Tulsa to watch my Rabbits play at ORU, if we pass the site visit test and get an invite into the Mid-Con.  (I'm in metro Kansas City).

I'm sure that 89rabbit has already invited you over to our discussion board to look around--I'm the admin of the SDSUFans.com site:

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Not that the Mid-Con has any better expansions choices than NDSU, SDSU, and IPFW; but these other budgets aren't close to what the other Mid-Con schools are, let alone ORU's.

Take the men's basketball expenses for instance (from tmh's link):

Valparaiso $1,317,170

UMKC      $1,061,939

ORU           $982,274

Western      $776,710

Centenary    $758,951

Oakland      $749,730

IUPUI          $714,723

NDSU          $604,837

IPFW          $572,321

SUU            $498,918

SDSU          $471,263

How can the conference get excited about that?  It's not exactly showing a huge commitment to the league's #1 sport.  I know they all say they're going to increase scholarships and improve facilities, but hasn't the Mid-Con heard the same song before?  And the way I understand it, Centenary and IUPUI aren't even close to fulfilling some of the promises they made during the courting process.

And all the talk of SDSU's budget being similair to ORU's is killing me. They have two more men's sports (including football!) and three more women's sports than we do. Not exact;y something I'd be bragging about. 

Bottom line: We need to dominate Mid-Con competition like never before and hope to benefit from the next major college realignment.  Because unless we can convince the Sun Belt otherwise, we won't be changing conference anytime soon.

Those are numbers from '04-'05 (our first in D-I).  In '05-'06 we added $1.28 million to our athletic budget (although I don't have detailed information, so I can't tell you how much was added specifically to Men's Basketball).  The projection for '06-'07 is that SDSU will add another Million + to the budget.  We should be at or above $10 million by '10 if my math is correct. We will be competitive.

Mickeyb, you have seen prictures of Frost Arena right?  :wink::-D:-o

7168.jpg

Frost Arena (Cap. 8,500)

10071.jpg

Newer Photo (taken on Feb. 18 from our Men's win over NDSU) showing off our new $3 million dollar scoreboards and other upgrades (new floor design, new scorer's tabel, etc.).

10086.jpg

Women's game (Feb. 4th) and different angle

ph_426.jpg

Close up of the scoreboard.

Not that the Mid-Con has any better expansions choices than NDSU, SDSU, and IPFW; but these other budgets aren't close to what the other Mid-Con schools are, let alone ORU's.

Take the men's basketball expenses for instance (from tmh's link):

Valparaiso $1,317,170

UMKC       $1,061,939

ORU            $982,274

Western      $776,710

Centenary    $758,951

Oakland       $749,730

IUPUI          $714,723

NDSU          $604,837

IPFW           $572,321

SUU            $498,918

SDSU          $471,263

How can the conference get excited about that?  It's not exactly showing a huge commitment to the league's #1 sport.  I know they all say they're going to increase scholarships and improve facilities, but hasn't the Mid-Con heard the same song before?  And the way I understand it, Centenary and IUPUI aren't even close to fulfilling some of the promises they made during the courting process.

And all the talk of SDSU's budget being similair to ORU's is killing me. They have two more men's sports (including football!) and three more women's sports than we do. Not exact;y something I'd be bragging about. 

Bottom line: We need to dominate Mid-Con competition like never before and hope to benefit from the next major college realignment.  Because unless we can convince the Sun Belt otherwise, we won't be changing conference anytime soon.

NDSU's athletic budget was 9 million last year and will cap out at 10.7 million in 2008 when the team is done with transition. NDSU is very committed to basketball and just gave the coach and his assistants a raise this past season and the school will also do a 16 million dollar renovation of the basketball arena over the next few years. Last season NDSU had the youngest team in DI and went 16-12, the team has a very bright future. NDSU is very committed to having success in every sport, the school has always been proud of having a strong athletic program.

I'm sure that 89rabbit has already invited you over to our discussion board to look around--I'm the admin of the SDSUFans.com site:

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

We probably were given your board's address before, but I had either forgotten or lost track of it.  It looks like a real nice board, and you've got a couple of great moderators  :-).  Quite a bit of activity given the fact that it's the middle of the summer and not a  whole lot going on.  I'm sure that as the Mid-Con membership process continues on, I'll be spending a bunch of time over there. 

Good luck to you in your quest to join the Mid-Con.  At this point I think your school will be a great conference-mate.  There is no question in my mind that you have programs that will fit in well and compete in the Mid-Con.  Assuming you get in, I look forward to the friendly rivalry that is bound to develop with you guys!

Guest EagleBackr

...I've said it before and I'll say it again - I want both of the Dakota schools in the Mid-Con.  I don't care about the travel difficulties.  Name me a Mid-Con school that's an easy trip (actually, there are three - UMKC, IUPUI and Oakland.  The rest all involve flying and/or busing combos).  I just like the idea of having a couple of football-playing state schools with loyal fan followings in the Mid-Con.  I think they will bring a different level of respectability to the league.  As for IPFW, I still think they are just too podunk.  I mean, what are they - the 12th or 15th largest school in Indiana?  They are the antithesis of the two Dakota schools - for example, has a single IPFW fan ever posted on this message board?  I wish we would go ahead and pursue Oklahoma City University for membership ASAP instead...

I agree with EB.... IPFW is a joke and will be an RPI drag on the conference. But, they constitute a school that will help the conference in the short-term and thus will get an invitation.

The two Dakota state schools will be difficult to get to (especially in the winter) but they will bring a completely different fan base to the Mid-Con.... these schools are large (relatively) public schools that will have enthusiastic fans eager for success in D-1. Think about it.... they represent the only D-1 action in their respective states and will have tremendous regional backing - especially if they are a bit successful. And what else is there to do up there in the winter but watch basketball? In fact, we may regret the day we invited them in and created a monster. I just would hate to be on the bus when it is 40 degrees below zero and it skids into a ditch.....

Terry,

It is North and South Dakota, not the North and South Poles. :wink:  It will be no worse then the winter trips to Oakland.  Detroit sits at 42 degrees North Lat. and Sioux Falls sits 43 degrees North Lat.  Heck they even avg. 3 more inch. of snow a year then we do.  :-D

As one who has driven from Oklahoma all the way to Winnipeg via 29 during the winter let me just say that the conditions may be a tad worse than Oakland.

As one who has driven from Oklahoma all the way to Winnipeg via 29 during the winter let me just say that the conditions may be a tad worse than Oakland.

Well I can't vouch for North Dakota.  :wink::lol:

I would just like to say that I am excited that NDSU may very well be going to the Mid-Con with SDSU and for the most part so are the rest of the Bison Faithful. As I said earlier NDSU is proud of having strong athletic program, NDSU had won 20 national titles while in D2 and the school is very much committed to keeping that success going in DI. Here are some pictures of NDSU facilities and some links...

FargoDome-seats 19,000 for football and 12,000 for basketball

LYBGOESFAWWUOBN.20050304211311.gif

Bison Sports Arena-seats 6500 but the arena is set to undergo a major renovation

SQBVTETBNBMGOJC.20050303190338.gif

Newman Outdoor Field-seats 4500 and is a great place to watch a ballgame

GPJJQGNMQJFUAYI.20050303200018.gif

Some links

NDSU athletics-http://www.gobison.com

NDSU message board-http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl