Schedule 22-23

Keenan Henderson

22 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Just looking ahead but the first two road games against Omaha and Denver are very winnable.   So ORU could easily start league play 6-1 or 7-0.  

Mark my words:  Denver on the road will not be "very winnable" for ANY team in the conference this year.

They are my dark horse pick to earn a first-round bye in Sioux Falls.

4 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Mark my words:  Denver on the road will not be "very winnable" for ANY team in the conference this year.

They are my dark horse pick to earn a first-round bye in Sioux Falls.

ORU has had trouble at Denver even when they haven't been as talented.

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

With the conference slate being announced today, here's the tentative non-conference schedule as of now:

• Nov. 7 (Mon) -- at St. Mary's
  • Nov. 14 (Mon) -- at Houston
  • Nov. 15 (Tue) -- at Texas Southern
  • Dec. 3 (Sat) -- at Tulsa
  • Dec. 10 (Sat) -- CENTRAL ARKANSAS
  • Dec. 16 (Fri) -- MISSOURI STATE
  • TBD -- at Oklahoma State
  • TBD -- at Texas-Arlington

I'm guessing 2-3 more dates will be filled by non-D1 home games, particularly around Thanksgiving.

Geez, the ladies have to open at SDSU and USD, both NCAA qualifiers.

Talk about your baptism under fire for Coach Musick... 🔥🙏🏼

That first game at home with SDSU will be interesting.  The Jackrabbits have won 5 straight regular season championships and went 21-0 in overall Summit League play last year.  They return 6 out of the 8 guys who saw action in their NCAA tourament game agaisnt Providence.  Would be a big win to begin conference play!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, KH......we still have 4 1/2 months until that game and several other big ones prior to that including St. Mary's, Houston, TU and OSU......let's see how the OOC schedule shakes out....... 😎..:circle-logoi:

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I'm guessing 2-3 more dates will be filled by non-D1 home games, particularly around Thanksgiving.

And I would expect one of the non-D1 games to be scheduled on November 11/12, when Homecoming 2022 is scheduled on campus.  It seems to me that the University usually misses out on an excellent opportunity to schedule a quality home game for Homecoming weekend.   A more attractive quality opponent would bring additional Alums back to Tulsa for the weekend and would provide Athletics with a larger, boisterous crowd for a more significant home court advantage.  Seems like a win-win to me, but hasn’t happened (to my remembrance) since HC was moved from February to November.  

This is what happens when all the bigwigs are NOT ORU Alums.... totally clueless....🙄

Hard to schedule a quality opponent at home unless we are willing to pay. Asking them to play during homecoming… near to impossible. 

The reality is that scheduling home games for a team like ORU is really difficult. The landscape has changed over the last couple of years. Especially since we have a decent squad with an all American on the roster. Getting  good games on the road is tough - especially if we want to get paid. I suspect several of our road games are straight up - no payment. That is a huge hit to our athletic budget. 

• Like 1

I do NOT like homecoming in November.  Who wants to make a long trip less than 2 weeks before thanksgiving?

I haven't seen the crowds like we used to have.  I'd love someone to share the numbers with me (although as we all know, numbers can be made to show whatever you want to show).  We didn't even have a 40 year reunion. sad!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, MrsSmith said:

I do NOT like homecoming in November.  Who wants to make a long trip less than 2 weeks before thanksgiving?

I haven't seen the crowds like we used to have.  I'd love someone to share the numbers with me (although as we all know, numbers can be made to show whatever you want to show).  We didn't even have a 40 year reunion. sad!

One of the driving factors for the Alumni Association to move homecoming to November was inclement weather in February for back-to-back years that crippled alumni attendance for the weekend. 

I personally surmise that having a full house for the President’s Banquet is the number one priority “up on the hill”.  I don’t think they could care less about who’s playing in the Mabee Center that night, or if there’s even a game held at all.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MrsSmith said:

......(although as we all know, numbers can be made to show whatever you want to show).

I have taught her well through the years.  🤣

• Like 2

Quite a start to the season...that 11-day stretch at home in the middle of December is particularly tasty; start praying now for good weather!

NOVEMBER

Nov 7 (Mon) -- at St. Mary's

NOV 11 or NOV 12 (FRI or SAT) -- TBD (Homecoming)

Nov 14 (Mon) -- at Houston

Nov 15 (Tue) -- at Texas Southern

DECEMBER

Dec 3 (Sat) -- at Tulsa

DEC 10 (SAT) -- CENTRAL ARKANSAS

DEC 16 (FRI) -- MISSOURI STATE

DEC 19 (MON) -- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

DEC 21 (WED) -- SOUTH DAKOTA

TBD -- @ Oklahoma State, @ Texas-Arlington

• Upvote 1

I went looking for any commentary on the Houston MTE and I found this Houston fan on Reddit that seems to be giving our guys some respect!  (See the comment at the bottom!)

image.png

• Like 2

Kelvin Sampson discussing how hard scheduling was this year; no mention of ORU in this video

• Upvote 1

Everything Coach Sampson said is what I heard we dealt with. Great job to Coach Mills and staff on scheduling some great non conference games!

• Like 1

Interesting that he’s talking about St. Mary’s - which is another school we are playing.