Schedule 22-23

Keenan Henderson

No one really knows how long it will take to divide up the schools into different tournaments.  My own guess is that at first there will be some resistance but over time the powers that be and money will change people's minds.  Say 5-10 years at the most.

Why does it need to change at all from the current situation?  The Power 5 teams get the vast majority of tourney spots right now as it is and the vast majority of the time they win as well.  If you change the divisions then non conference wins against mid majors wouldn’t hold as much value.  The system as it is right now is better and still strongly tilted in their favor.

9 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Why does it need to change at all from the current situation?  The Power 5 teams get the vast majority of tourney spots right now as it is and the vast majority of the time they win as well.  If you change the divisions then non conference wins against mid majors wouldn’t hold as much value.  The system as it is right now is better and still strongly tilted in their favor.

I agree with you Jason in that it should not change.  However, if you look at last year's NCAA tournament field of 68, 33 of those teams would probably be considered mid major.  So, they got a big chunk of the money for the 2022 tournament that in the future could go strictly to the Power 5 schools.  In other words, they could double their money.

Greg Sanky, the SEC big guy, is leading the push for it in football and eventually basketball.  You think he wants to see his beloved Kentucky Wildcats lose again to some unknown mid major in the tournament?  Not a chance.

Ideally, it doesn’t need to change and IMO shouldn’t change. But the formation of “super-conferences” among the big boys will more than likely lead to a playoff system that only recognizes the Goliaths and excludes the David’s. We all know first hand that David’s can slay giants but if the giants aren’t willing to fight us, there won’t be much we can do, I’m afraid. Hope it doesn’t come to that. 

Greed is a powerful thing. It can make you do things that are against your long term interest. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave said:

Ideally, it doesn’t need to change and IMO shouldn’t change. But the formation of “super-conferences” among the big boys will more than likely lead to a playoff system that only recognizes the Goliaths and excludes the David’s. We all know first hand that David’s can slay giants but if the giants aren’t willing to fight us, there won’t be much we can do, I’m afraid. Hope it doesn’t come to that. 

One of the things that makes March Madness magical is to see an overmatched team rise up to the occasion and go head-to-head with an overconfident team to beat them because of their arrogance. If the Emperor doesn't like to be told he is wearing no clothes, he should dress every time he goes out instead of getting rid of the messenger.

• Like 2

I bought a 2023 calendar and I'm ready to enter the dates for the men's and women's home games. All I need are the schedules. 😃 Come on, coaches! Let's get 'er done! We need our basketball!!

(Someone must have heard me...sort of. Just got the text saying that season ticket order forms go out next week! Come on, schedule!)

Edited by titansforever
Add an update

Bison visiting Fayetteville but the Hogs just won't play ORU......now that's pathetic.....🤢

ORU did just play the Hogs twice in the 20-21 season.  As an Arkansas fan, ORU would rather play say OSU or OU this year.  The Hogs have a ton of talent and size this year and most likely will be a top ten team.  Not saying we should run from them but their are other schools in the area that the Eagles have a better chance of upsetting this season.  Hoping ORU can defeat the Cowboys in Stillwater in 2022.  Have been so close the last few years.  Trey had an open look last year in the Mabee Center to knock off OSU in overtime.

OK Keenan....I accept your answer....but seems to me that ORU and Arkansas should be playing almost every season and we don't....and if they whip up on NDSU in November....well, I can live with that......👍

It is now 100 days until the official college basketball season begins.  I was looking at NDSU's website and their non-conference schedule and they announced that the Summit League will post the new conference schedule on August 3rd.  So, we should know next week what the Eagles conference schedule looks like.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

GREAT scheduling by Mills and staff!!!!!!

2 games in the Houston market.

guessing they will get a return game from TSU next season since the game looks to be at TSU instead of on Houston's campus???  

• Like 3

Houston is a top 10 team and has a great backcourt.  Will be interesting to see Max and McBride tangle with the Cougars! Plus Texas Southern was an NCAA tournament team last year.  Great job Coach

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Now that is a very nice scheduling coup....tough playing back to back nights on the road but so be it.....TheEagleman is looking forward to the release of the entire 22-23 schedule....:shield-logo:

This is great geographically, but it's going to take supreme effort to avoid two double-digit losses.

Most fans/recruits/etc. don't realize that TSU was 19-13 with a win at Florida last year.  They've won back-to-back SWAC tournaments AND their NCAA No. 16 Seed play-in games (over Mount St. Mary's in 2021 before losing to No. 1 Seed Michigan, and Texas A&M Corpus Christi in 2022 before falling to eventual national champion Kansas).

They are coached by Johnny Jones, formally of LSU and North Texas, and they are totally legit.

TOUGH 24-hour turnaround!

I agree OT. The bright spot is we have the horses in the stall to get the job done! Hopefully we are focused and are ready to play some good ball. This could make a big statement for our program!

• Upvote 1