Connor Vanover

ORUTerry

I would like to see Lufile play down low on offense with Vanover on the perimeter or flashing to the paint. They could play high/low. Both could play near the basket on defense.

Remember that Lufile was not cleared to practice until October(?) last year and had been essentially inactive for a year or so. This year he will be in playing shape and hopefully has the rust shaken off. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/13/2022 at 2:03 PM, TrueBlue82 said:

From watching some of Connor's game tape, I think this is an accurate description of his preferred style of play.  However, in our offensive game plan, it just might work... if he can MAKE the threes. 

I remember (sheepishly) that I was very critical of KO after he went 1-for-6 from three in our 2020-21 season opener at Missouri, thinking that he wasn't helping the team or playing to his strengths. As we all now know, his three-point shot-making was a key element in ORU's success throughout the remainder of the season and the magical NCAA tourney run.  In fact, after his 1-6 start, KO made 47.8% of his three point attempts.  If Connor can do that, I say "Jack 'em up, son!"

Sorry, but a 7 footer needs to be in the paint, BLOCKING SHOTS,  REBOUNDING and DUNKING the basketball emphatically!  We have plenty of outside threats.  Connor should bring another dimension to the floor…

Rob

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ORob1 said:

Sorry, but a 7 footer needs to be in the paint, BLOCKING SHOTS,  REBOUNDING and DUNKING the basketball emphatically!  We have plenty of outside threats.  Connor should bring another dimension to the floor…

I think he will spend a MAJORITY of the time in the paint, especially on defense - and will play a significant role in blocking shots, rebounding, and defending the rim.  But on offense, I believe he will move back and forth between the paint and the three point arc - and that his FAVORITE shot will be far outside the range of most 7 footers.  And, if I were him, I wouldn't have chosen ORU as my transfer landing point unless I knew that the coaching staff was in support of me playing that preferred inside-outside role.  I agree with you, it is a unique playing style for a 7 footer, and it will only be successful if he MAKES the threes. 

• Upvote 1

Connor is 50 pounds underweight, so how can we expect him to be a traditional center?  Yes, he has the height of a center but the body of a guard or maybe small forward.  Somewhat similar to DJ, in that Weaver is long and tall but has a skinny frame and just does not have the strength to pound inside.  Imagine if you combined Lufile and Connor, then ORU would have Shaq in the post!

Just now, ORob2 said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdzUokvAWBQ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Lots of video on Instagram multiple times a week coming from Vanover and McBride, but I thought I’d share this.  The two of them (with one more?) Taking some Abmas-distance threes!

That’s great!  The only thing better would be a video of Connor eating multiple burgers, fries and milk shakes!  Let’s get some weight on that big ol’ frame!

Rob

On 5/20/2022 at 8:28 PM, ORob1 said:

That’s great!  The only thing better would be a video of Connor eating multiple burgers, fries and milk shakes!  Let’s get some weight on that big ol’ frame!

Rob

That is the one thing that is concerning about Connor: he spent one year at Cal and three at Arkansas and never put on any weight.  Pretty sure those Power 5 schools put Plastic Man on the best programs for gaining weight and yet he is still 7'3 and 225 pounds.  He must have a high metabolism rate!

John Holliden, from Evansville, IN,  was the tallest player to ever come to ORU. From 7'4" in high school he grew an inch at ORU, eventually reaching 7' 6".  Unfortunately his playing weight was 215 lbs. He told me that he had worked in an ice-cream shop one summer, but didn't gain weight. John had a high metabolism-perhaps as a means of coping with his height. He was so friendly to those around him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone who thinks that:

1.  Vanover won't start, and
  2.  He needs to post up on the block,

...hasn't paid much attention to:

1.  This staff's phiosophy on playing time, and
  2.  This staff's philosphy on playing offense.

I could count the number of entry passes into the post last season on both hands...and maybe a couple of toes.

Finger GIF by funk

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some stats on Connor: he has never had a double double (points and rebounds) in 72 career games.  He came close agaisnt UCA with 9 points and 10 rebounds.  His record for blocks is six agaisnt Standford and North Texas.  His overall best performance with Arkansas was versus Mississippi Valley State.  In that game Plastic man had 23 points and 8 rebounds.  Hoping he breaks those numbers this year at ORU!

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Here are some stats on Connor: he has never had a double double (points and rebounds) in 72 career games.  He came close agaisnt UCA with 9 points and 10 rebounds.  His record for blocks is six agaisnt Standford and North Texas.  His overall best performance with Arkansas was versus Mississippi Valley State.  In that game Plastic man had 23 points and 8 rebounds.  Hoping he breaks those numbers this year at ORU!

Here’s what I want from Connor per game if he starts:

• 24 minutes
  • 8 points 
  • 8 rebounds
  • 3 blocks
  • 3 deflections
  • 35% from behind the arc
  • 65% in the paint
  • 75% from the line
  • No foul trouble
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for posting OT!  As a kid, Joe Kleine was my hero.  Use to send him letters and he would write back (remember this was the 80's, different world).  Met him once at a Arkansas practice when I was nine and still have the picture in a frame!  Also talked to his dad on the phone once, nice family.

Joe Kleine is 6'11 and even he looks small next to Connor!  Plastic Man almost hit his head on the top of the door, had to duck down a little just to get out of the store!

Keenan:

Any idea where the "Plastic Man" nickname came from?  🤔🙂

Rob

Just made it up since Connor looks very stretchable like Plastic Man. Be free to come up with other nicknames for him.

• Haha 2