Connor Vanover

ORUTerry

My summer checklist for Conner:

1. get some weight back on(defend summit bigs), 2. get that 3 ball % back to high 30s% (great pick and pop opportunities with max), 3. work on his entry post passing (for regular back door cuts to max and Lufile- on the double screen for max) 

recipe for getting back to late March tourney and us watching the games on the big screen in the comfortable new Mabee

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Ting said:

1. get some weight back on(defend summit bigs), 2. get that 3 ball % back to high 30s% (great pick and pop opportunities with max), 3. work on his entry post passing (for regular back door cuts to max and Lufile- on the double screen for max) 

recipe for getting back to late March tourney and us watching the games on the big screen in the comfortable new Mabee

Agree 100%

On 5/4/2022 at 3:07 PM, Old Titan said:

The bottom guy on a 1-3-1 must defend from corner-to-corner, with speed and control.

And Mills has already shown he loves Herron out top on the ball in full-court prssure situations.

Consider this:  Williams underneath in the 1-3-1, Vanover in the middle, and Herron out top.  Whoever else on the wings. 

NO ONE in the Summit League is driving down the lane on that line-up.

Is it freakin' basketball season yet?!  I can't wait...

7 hours ago, Ting said:

#3.  Work on a little skyhook, (ala Kareem Abdul Jabbar)  How you gonna stop Max, McBride Lufile AND a Vanover skyhook? 🤑

...and good defense, play good defense...

Rob

• Like 1

Great article about Vanover.  Thanks OT for sharing. 👍🏻

Not often that you see the phrases 7’3” and forward on the same graphic.  🤣

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Not often that you see the phrases 7’3” and forward on the same graphic.  🤣

I noticed that as well. Absolutely NOBODY wants to be a center in today's game. If a 7'3" guy isn't a center then WHO is?

Here’s hoping “7-foot forward” isn’t just the current terminology for “tall guy who should be mixing it up in the paint but would rather stand outside and jack threes”.

Shooting Shoot Your Shot GIF

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Here’s hoping “7-foot forward” isn’t just the current terminology for “tall guy who should be mixing it up in the paint but would rather stand outside and jack threes”.

From watching some of Connor's game tape, I think this is an accurate description of his preferred style of play.  However, in our offensive game plan, it just might work... if he can MAKE the threes. 

I remember (sheepishly) that I was very critical of KO after he went 1-for-6 from three in our 2020-21 season opener at Missouri, thinking that he wasn't helping the team or playing to his strengths. As we all now know, his three-point shot-making was a key element in ORU's success throughout the remainder of the season and the magical NCAA tourney run.  In fact, after his 1-6 start, KO made 47.8% of his three point attempts.  If Connor can do that, I say "Jack 'em up, son!"

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

He kinda has a resemblance to Dirk Nowitzki. We can only hope.

At the end of the day, Connor is basically a backup to Lufile.  He will probably play about 10-15 minutes per game and give the Eagles say: 6 points, 3 rebounds and one block shot every night.  He is 7'3 and 225 pounds, so definitely not a banger inside.  If he gets a mismatch (6'4 guard on him), then Connor will post up inside.  Otherwise, he will shoot the three (32 percent) and clean up a few misses on the offensive boards.  That is his game in a nutshell.

ORU will still need Big Maple to be healthy and perform like he did at the end of last year.  So, in other words be a double double guy night in and night out.

I like Connor and think he will help the team next year, but he is not the complete answer to ORU's problems in the paint.  Hopefully Herron can also put on some weight in the offseason and help on the inside next year.  It will take a team effort: Lufile, Herron, and Connor to solve the Eagle's inside game woes.

• Upvote 1

S....T....I....F....F.....🙄

22 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Shooting Shoot Your Shot GIF

Horrible form!!!

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

At the end of the day, Connor is basically a backup to Lufile.  He will probably play about 10-15 minutes per game and give the Eagles say: 6 points, 3 rebounds and one block shot every night.  He is 7'3 and 225 pounds, so definitely not a banger inside.  If he gets a mismatch (6'4 guard on him), then Connor will post up inside.  Otherwise, he will shoot the three (32 percent) and clean up a few misses on the offensive boards.  That is his game in a nutshell.

ORU will still need Big Maple to be healthy and perform like he did at the end of last year.  So, in other words be a double double guy night in and night out.

I like Connor and think he will help the team next year, but he is not the complete answer to ORU's problems in the paint.  Hopefully Herron can also put on some weight in the offseason and help on the inside next year.  It will take a team effort: Lufile, Herron, and Connor to solve the Eagle's inside game woes.

I think your expectations for Vanover seem about right for the non conference schedule as he acclimates to Coach Mills and his system.  However, I expect him to play a bigger role as we transition to the conference schedule.  I see him playing 20-25 minutes a game and averaging 10 points, 8 boards and a couple blocks a game.  If he can shoot 35% from 3 point range, he will earn that playing time.

It would be interesting to see Connor vs Lufile in a Blue/Gold game or for those of you who are in Tulsa, at a practice game.  Talk about night and day, strength vs length, etc.  Would be a sight to see!

How about a nickname for Connor: plastic man, stretchable, etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It would be interesting to see Connor vs Lufile in a Blue/Gold game or for those of you who are in Tulsa, at a practice game.  Talk about night and day, strength vs length, etc.  Would be a sight to see!

How about a nickname for Connor: plastic man, stretchable, etc.

Big Maple would bend plastic man all over the place

• Haha 1