ORU History

Keenan Henderson

As we enter the seven month offseason for basketball wanted to talk some about ORU’s history.

Few thoughts: Noticed that Greg Sutton scored over 3,000 points in three seasons but never hear anyone mention him on the sports forum. What kind of player was he and why was he forgotten? Sounds like an all time great. Who are some other greats that get left behind?

What about ORU’ s history of winning? Everyone talks about the 70s but what else stands out? Yes 04-08 was good with Green and Tutt but how about say the 80s and 90s? 

Sutton was a prolific scorer but did most of it while ORU was playing in the NAIA….

Would Sutton be an all time great? Because he scored big numbers against lesser competition then Greg is not really in the league of Fuqua or the other greats from the 70s?

It brings another thought: how did ORU go from D1 to NAIA and back to D1 in just a few years?

Having watched Sutton  play a lot back in the day he may have been a prolific scorer in D1 as he went on to be successful in the NBA for a  few years.  He played a lot like Max and Trickey gave him the green light at all times. He shot beyond where Max shoots for the most part. Max is probably a better driver. Sutton was the 49th pick in the 2nd round for the San Antonio Spurs in 1991. He played 3 years for the Philadelphia 76’s and Charlotte Hornets as a point guard averaging 4.5 points per game and playing in 168 games.

• Like 1

Sutton played 1 year of D-1 and 2 years of NAIA (I believe) as ORU was only in the NAIA for 2 years (90-91 and 91-92) if my memory serves me correctly.

Sutton was a great player at both levels.  He could stop and pop, he could elevate, and he was quick.  Even if we had stayed D-1 those 2 years, Sutton would have averaged almost as many points per game as long as Trickey was the head coach due to his run and gun style.  

I think we might have played fewer games on average per season though in the NCAA vs. in the NAIA, so he would have probably scored 100-200 fewer points per season for those 2 years.

Sutton absolutely is one of the all time ORU greats in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info on Sutton it helps some of us newer guys. He is also listed as 4th all time in career assists at 490. So it looks like he was much more than just a scorer.

ORU went to the NIT with Cat Johnson,Mark and Jeff Acres in 81 and to the NCAA tourney with the Acres bros Sam Potter and Charles Dorsey in 84

• Like 1

It looks like ORU went to the NAIA for financial reasons: to cut back on salaries. They were 65-12 in basketball during those two seasons. Anyone know why they jumped back so soon to D1 after two years in the NAIA? Just wanted to learn some history about the program.

There may have been more to the story why ORU went down to NAIA. In the spring of 1988 I was a senior and the baseball team was loaded and had a good shot at  going far. Towards the end of the season ORU announced they were dropping down to NAIA and the baseball team didn't get to play post season. Living in the Athletic dorm my roommate was on the baseball team and needless to say the team was not happy. I heard back then we were going to be investigated(not sure what for) and going to NAIA got us out of hot water. 

23 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

There may have been more to the story why ORU went down to NAIA. In the spring of 1988 I was a senior and the baseball team was loaded and had a good shot at  going far. Towards the end of the season ORU announced they were dropping down to NAIA and the baseball team didn't get to play post season. Living in the Athletic dorm my roommate was on the baseball team and needless to say the team was not happy. I heard back then we were going to be investigated(not sure what for) and going to NAIA got us out of hot water. 

Kind of what I heard also. the NCAA was in town. It was in the Dallas newspaper. I remem how upset that good baseball team was to have there season cut short

2 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Seriously. I have no idea what they are talking about. Tell us more. 

Something about plane rides for recruits on private jets and other financial incentives being doled out. Not sure though. 

Yep, I think so. Other that were around at the time might have more insight.

Thanks everyone for the posts.  For some of us who are newer to the forum, all this jumping from NAIA and back to D1 in such a short time, now makes sense.  Also it is intersting to see how the school's all time leading scorer, Greg Sutton, helped the Eagles to be a power team in the NAIA.   So from reading these articles did ORU lose in the championship game of the NAIA tournament to OKC or was that just a regional tournament game?