Review of past season

Keenan Henderson

Now that we have had a few weeks to digest the last season, what are your thoughts? Good, bad, and ugly.

Here is a good one: ORU averaged 83.3 points per game (4th best) and Max finished 5th in the nation in scoring. 

I watched the highlights of the ORU-TU game the other day, and was stunned at how much healthier Max looked in that game than he did by the end of the season. He was so beat up by March, it affected his confidence (and his shot).  Wondering what a healthy Max might have meant to the bottom line.

That, and any semblance of defense down the stretch.  In their final five losses, ORU gave up an AVERAGE of 91.4 points. The fact that a huge percentage of those points were 2-pointers in the paint makes the number even more staggering. 

Max’s struggles down the stretch, and ORU’s utter lack of interior defense, are the two factors that make this season a disappointment for me. Could/should have been better!

OT this was the play in the TU game that Max's Dad said he got a bone contusion. Like you said the rest of the season he played injured. What a warrior!

16483099591049073121058994183540.jpg

Thought Max was playing at a high level until the WIU game in early February. Then he started to wear a wrap on his hand and of course his shooting dropped after that. 

Three home games stood out this season: overtime loss's to both OSU and SDSU plus the last second loss to NDSU. ORU may not win all of those but at least one of two. Then they would have at least had a signature win this past season.

Later in the season, you could tell by the way he walked around the court that he was battling something.  If I was his dad, I wouldn't encourage him to return to my beloved Golden Eagles unless there was some assurances he was going to have some significant inside help. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ORUJason said:

I am glad you are not Max’s dad. 😁

Me too! 🤣😂

22 hours ago, eagle88 said:

OT this was the play in the TU game that Max's Dad said he got a bone contusion. Like you said the rest of the season he played injured. What a warrior!

16483099591049073121058994183540.jpg

I remember when it happened - blatant trip by defender who was beaten on the play. AND THERE WAS NO CALL.  #smh

• Upvote 2

And the TU beat writer publishing a story the next that all but said, "TU got hosed by the refs." 

• Haha 1

That Tulsa game was the best win of the season. Max was on fire with 38 points and it was the Eagles first win in the series in way too long.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lufile just posted some video of him shooting FTs in the practice gym alone before a practice on his Instagram.  I tried to attach the video in this post but the video was too big, so here’s the text on the screen (he made 3-5 in the video, so it was a higher % than his 44% from last year!).

”Struggled from the line this year.  Was below 50%.  No one to blame but myself.  Won’t ever happen again.  Next [year’s] goal is to be at least 65%-70% from the line.”  

It’s good to hear Lufile can recognize and work on his weak spots.  Hopefully we’ll see some other weak spots being ironed out this off season!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORob2 said:

Lufile just posted some video of him shooting FTs in the practice gym alone before a practice on his Instagram.  I tried to attach the video in this post but the video was too big, so here’s the text on the screen (he made 3-5 in the video, so it was a higher % than his 44% from last year!).

”Struggled from the line this year.  Was below 50%.  No one to blame but myself.  Won’t ever happen again.  Next [year’s] goal is to be at least 65%-70% from the line.”  

It’s good to hear Lufile can recognize and work on his weak spots.  Hopefully we’ll see some other weak spots being ironed out this off season!

Hey, man - who cares about the free throws; hopefully that means "He's BACK, baby!" 🤩

college basketball hype GIF by ESPN

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Peace to you on this Easter Sunday. God bless everyone on the ORU Sports Forum!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

HE IS RISEN!!!!.....🙏

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

HE IS RISEN!!!!.....🙏

HE IS RISEN INDEED! 

• Like 1

Amen and we who are His have the blessed hope of getting our resurrected body one day! The older I get the more I look forward to this promise!!

• Like 1

TheEagleman is ready to go at any time.........and the less defense that ORU plays....the more I want to leave this earth......:circle-logoi::hc_mills:image 4 of Wild Bobby Jesus: Ill Be Back Inspirational/Christian Men Graphic Tee, Safety Green, XX-Large

• Haha 1