CBI or CIT???

ORUIllini

With every announcement posted of a team choosing to extend its season with a little postseason play, I am more and more flummoxed by ORU’s absence. 

Coach Mills took the mic on Senior Night and boldly announced to the the crowd, “Now it’s March, and ORU wins in March.

But how can you win in March if you don’t play in March??

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If the decision was made by the players to not play,  it just makes me think more that maybe there is some dissension amongst the players…

I get there’s a financial aspect, but come on, really, after the Sweet 16 run, I’m sure there’s a little extra money around for one more home game.

An opportunity to win some more games sure seems like a no brainer. Now, this just makes the last week or so of the season even more crappy and for me generates a lot of questions going into the off season.

Bring on the transfer portal.

Could the fact that students are out for Spring Break this week be a factor?

I think the writing is on the wall. Half of the team will likely be new players next year.  Like ORUIllini said bring on the transfer portal!

Do you think Max wants to go in play in the CIT against say Sam Houston State or Arkansas State? Not too exciting after beating Florida and Ohio State.

In the future ORU will have other chances to go to the CIT but right now after last year, it just does not seem like a good fit.

If it was a year ago or two years then they would have gone because the Eagles were rebounding from some tough years.

I think back to 2009, when Dominique Morrison was the star of "The Magnificent Seven" - the only available players on the roster following a rash of injuries, who went from one unlikely victory to another. 

THAT team's mantra was "ANYONE; ANYWHERE; ANY TIME!".  They would NOT have voted against playing in the post-season (if that's in fact what happened this year).

Feels like a long time ago, doesn't it?

image.png.c280528637fe0fa20102cb58c58d9079.png

Why wouldn’t Max want the opportunity to put up 30+ on Sam Houston and another 30+ on Arkansas State?

His NBA stock is way lower than this time last year, so the more opportunities the better I would think for him.

If one Sweet 16 run has elevated the ORU program to the status of choosing to snub the CIT or CBI, than I guess as a fan I should be proud?

To answer the Max question I can tell you with great confidence that Max was one of the players that wanted to play in the post season tournament.  Unfortunately he was in the minority. 

16 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

To answer the Max question I can tell you with great confidence that Max was one of the players that wanted to play in the post season tournament.  Unfortunately he was in the minority. 

Oh my! Then maybe there are disgruntled players that just wanted to be done and start working on their exit plan….aka transfer portal.

Really unfortunate end to this season.

Perhaps not just some disgruntled players but some players that will be leaving because of disgruntled coaches.

I would think all the guards voted to continue playing. We know they would get plenty of playing time. 😛

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

Perhaps not just some disgruntled players but some players that will be leaving because of disgruntled coaches.

Eesh….it may be worse than I thought!

1 hour ago, ORUIllini said:

Really unfortunate end to this season.

This is embarrassing, who's running our program? Is coach Mills just a bystander? They had a vote...are you kidding me!!!

That meeting should have gone something like coach saying-"guys we didn't finish like we wanted, but fortunately we got an invitation to play in a post season tournament; not the tourney we wanted, but it will allow us to keep playing and we will gladly be accepting the invitation and we are going to that tournament to win it! , any of you that don't want to play with your team there's the door don't let it hit you on the way out"!!! 

It is beyond me that coach would allow his team to basically quit. This is pathetic! Have some pride Eagles!!! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, eagle88 said:

Wow, wow, wow...bombshell stuff.

You gotta think, if this is true (and I trust Eagle88's source), that if Max wasn't leaving before, I would bet the farm he is NOW, after this debacle.

UNLESS...he's been assured by the coaches that those who didn't want to play are out the door (if they weren't already), and next year's team will feature transfers (juco, portal, or otherwise) who want to:

1. Play defense all year long,
  2. Particularly in MARCH, for crying out loud.
  • Like 1

Good analysis OT! I really believe Coach Mills has the mentality to get ORU to the next level which is great. He is still learning and has room to grow but I love the fact that he has a really high standard of excellence!

Man the end of this season is turning me into a Negative Nelly.

I view this as a failure of leadership on so many levels.  First of all I agree with ORU40 100% on how that meeting should have gone.  So the leader of the team, Max, wants to play and there's a vote?  Give me a break.  Is Mills too busy banging on his high chair because he doesn't like the way the season ended?  Too worried about who got fired to lead the team? 

This is pure speculation but I'd guess the guys that voted against playing are the guys who never get to play, many of whom should be playing.  With their talents squandered by baffling three and four guard lineups they have simply soured and want to call it quits.  To quote a famous member of the Delta house...It ain't over until we say its over.  That should be the consensus in that locker room.

25 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Man the end of this season is turning me into a Negative Nelly.

I view this as a failure of leadership on so many levels.  First of all I agree with ORU40 a 100% on how that meeting should have gone.  So the leader of the team, Max, wants to play and there's a vote?  Give me a break.  Is Mills too busy banging on his high chair because he doesn't like the way the season ended?  Too worried about who got fired to lead team? 

This is pure speculation but I'd guess the guys that voted against playing are the guys who never get to play, many of whom should be playing.  With their talents squandered by baffling three and four guard lineups they have simply soured and want to call it quits.  To quote a famous member of the Delta house...It ain't over until we say its over.  That should be the consensus in that locker room.

Yeah, if I was a sub on that bench, or a starter who missed long stretches of time some game, I might have been puzzled/frustrated/furious to see who was getting minutes instead.

Just sayin’…

Taking a vote is a joke...coach and captain decide....good riddance to the jokers who decided to pack it in. 🤮