Transfers

Keenan Henderson

4 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Nate Clover has just entered the transfer portal.  Another big who did not get much playing time.  So, the Eagles are now down to Lufile and Herron, as far as post defenders.

I just can't help but think Nate was encouraged to move along...

I wish him well.

Rob

2 hours ago, ORob1 said:

I just can't help but think Nate was encouraged to move along...

I wish him well.

Rob

If that were to be the case, doesn’t that reflect badly on ORU’s recruiting? I get that they all can’t be hits. Bergens and Clover I would consider busts.

1 hour ago, ORUIllini said:

If that were to be the case, doesn’t that reflect badly on ORU’s recruiting? I get that they all can’t be hits. Bergens and Clover I would consider busts.

Both recruited before the Sweet Sixteen run, I would bet the coaching staff believes they can recruit over them?

12 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Both recruited before the Sweet Sixteen run, I would bet the coaching staff believes they can recruit over them?

Then what are they waiting for?  Roster has effectively lost all of its frontline depth with Plet, Clover and the euro entering the portal. 

Going with the 10-guard roster, it appears - who guards Elijah in practice?

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Then what are they waiting for?  Roster has effectively lost all of its frontline depth with Plet, Clover and the euro entering the portal. 

No one moves players on without having someone waiting to replace them. The transfer portal isn’t THAT new 😂

1 hour ago, ORUIllini said:

I wouldn't consider Clover a bust. I don't think any of the bigs have shown major skill development. That's either because the system ORU runs requires them to basically be a stretch 4 (a major jump from high school where they were almost certainly playing back to the basket) OR there is just an overall deficit in big man development.

Hopefully the two remaining scholarships will be used to find additional post players! Preferably a shot blocker!

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Right now there aren't enough post players to simulate other Summit teams in practice. Even if Luka never saw the floor he was over 6'8" and could alter shots in lane (something Max, McBride, and other guards need to practice against).

• Upvote 1

I would be willing to wager there is someone in the pipeline as we speak.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dave said:

I would be willing to wager there is someone in the pipeline as we speak.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

That’s what I meant when I said, I’ll bet he was encouraged to move along…

Are we sure there are two scholarships left? I thought Elijah Lawrence was on scholarship? 

58 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Are we sure there are two scholarships left? I thought Elijah Lawrence was on scholarship? 

Should be two left. Lacis, clover, bergens, Plet and Luka are out. Incoming-Amboree, Mwamba, and Williams.

25 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Should be two left. Lacis, clover, bergens, Plet and Luka are out. Incoming-Amboree, Mwamba, and Williams.

But didn't we have 14 on scholarship last year due to COVID rules? And now we're back down to 13?

16 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

But didn't we have 14 on scholarship last year due to COVID rules? And now we're back down to 13?

Hmmm… I forgot about that. You may be right. I think Lawrence is on scholarship so there may be just one left. 

According to Verbal Commits these are the transfers over 6'10" that are immediately eligible.

Name Height Previous School

Baylor Younker

6'10" Bellarmine

Michael Wang

6'10" Penn

DeShawn Thomas

6'10" Coastal Carolina

Nate Springs

6'10" Kennesaw State

Philip Pepple, Jr.

6'10" Idaho

Tamell Pearson

6'10" Western Illinois

Osun Osunniyi

6'10" St. Bonaventure

John Ojiako

6'10" VA Tech

Isaih Moore

6'10" Southern Miss

Angus McWilliam

6'10" UC Riverside

Sebastian Guitian

6'10" South Carolina St.

Elochukwu Eze

6'10" SIUE

Tanner Christensen

6'10" Dixie St.

Victor Baffuto

6'10" Mercer

Riley Abercrombie

6'10" Rice

Manny Bates

6-11

NC State

Theo Akwuba

6-11 Louisiana

Yarden Willis

7' Binghamton

Keenan Fitzmorris

7' Stanford

David Appelgren

7'1" Wofford

• Upvote 1

I don’t remember scholarships being increased to 14. The NCAA did add one additional year of eligibility for players on scholarship in 2020-21. 

Today is the last day to transfer (May 1st).  If a player transfers after today, then they have to sit out a year or apply for a waiver from the NCAA.  Would expect some last-minute moves in the portal, might be interesting.

A year ago, ORU offered a scholarship to Henry Cowles, a 6'10" HS junior at the time. He should have graduated this spring. Verbal Commits shows that he has offers from TU, NM State, and Loyola Chicago. 

On 4/30/2022 at 12:37 PM, Dr. Cornelius said:

I wouldn't consider Clover a bust. I don't think any of the bigs have shown major skill development. That's either because the system ORU runs requires them to basically be a stretch 4 (a major jump from high school where they were almost certainly playing back to the basket) OR there is just an overall deficit in big man development.

Hopefully the two remaining scholarships will be used to find additional post players! Preferably a shot blocker!

I agree, except I don't think the problem with our bigs is A or B, it's A AND B!

Looking back at last season it's hard to recall us posting up a big on the block and making an entry pass for a post move to the basket. We shot a lot of 3's, sometimes drove to the basket, we backed our defender down occasionally and we hit Eli on the pick and dive a few times then stopped running it. The only actual post ups I can recall were early in the year going down to DJ where he shot a couple turn around jumpers. 

Since our system does not use bigs in the post in our offense, not a lot of development potential so I don't see us getting a lot of true big guys wanting to come play for us. It seems to me that the only size we will get moving forward are going to be the bigs that want be small forwards or stretch 4's and play out on the perimeter and shoot 3's. Unfortunately, the problem with that is those guys usually aren't great rebounders or post defenders. 

• Upvote 3