Transfers

Keenan Henderson

I think it's a pretty good sign that, at least so far, we have no one in the portal.  We're ten days removed from the end of the season and names are pouring into the portal from our conference rivals.  With the exception of Max, wouldn't most, if not all the guys on our roster that intended to transfer, benefit from getting their names out there early rather than later?  Remember, before KO bolted, Mills insisted that ORU was not typically a place that student athletes transferred from.  In fact, didn't he say he's had ZERO transfers (within D1) since being at ORU?  I may be wrong.  One more question, would a graduated ORU player with eligibility (like Obanor) have had to continue to live in the dorms, keep the honor code, and maintain all the same rules as a player still taking classes?

Rob

Ted Owens( 92 years old) told a cool story at the recent Bracketology Breakfast.  Year's ago he had a freshman who was Mr Basketball in Indiana.  The kid could shoot lights out but couldn't play defense.  The player didn't play much his freshman year and asked Coach Owens to transfer. Coach Owens told him I'm not going to allow you to transfer and run from your problems. The kid stayed and  learned how to play defense and became a starter at KU. I know times are different today but what a life lesson. Most of the players in the transfer portal will come to learn Ted Owens has wisdom and is right!

• Like 3

Graduate students do not have to live on campus but are expected to follow the honor code.

Wow....it was tough enough living ON Campus.....See the source image

13 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Not a complete shocker but Noah Friedel has entered the portal for SDSU.

Friedel has always been very talented but the Covid season and other issues really threw his game off. Good enough to be an all conference player if he can handle the mental side of basketball 

11 hours ago, ORob1 said:

I think it's a pretty good sign that, at least so far, we have no one in the portal.  We're ten days removed from the end of the season and names are pouring into the portal from our conference rivals.  With the exception of Max, wouldn't most, if not all the guys on our roster that intended to transfer, benefit from getting their names out there early rather than later?  Remember, before KO bolted, Mills insisted that ORU was not typically a place that student athletes transferred from.  In fact, didn't he say he's had ZERO transfers (within D1) since being at ORU?  I may be wrong.  One more question, would a graduated ORU player with eligibility (like Obanor) have had to continue to live in the dorms, keep the honor code, and maintain all the same rules as a player still taking classes?

Rob

So by my count, Mills has had 11 or 12 players transfer out of the program in 5 years. 7 of them ( Chris Miller, spencer Sutton, Javan white, Kellen manek, Kennedy Milton, papi Conley and emir Ahmedic) in the first year or two. The only ones that went d-1 in the portal were Obanor to Texas tech, Javan white to Clemson, rj Glasper to incarnate word, and technically I think Kennedy Milton eventually ended up on South Alabama’s roster but ended up going Juco first. Every transfer since then, with the exception of Obanor, were non-impact players. That’s actually exceptional!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

So by my count, Mills has had 11 or 12 players transfer out of the program in 5 years. 7 of them ( Chris Miller, spencer Sutton, Javan white, Kellen manek, Kennedy Milton, papi Conley and emir Ahmedic) in the first year or two. The only ones that went d-1 in the portal were Obanor to Texas tech, Javan white to Clemson, rj Glasper to incarnate word, and technically I think Kennedy Milton eventually ended up on South Alabama’s roster but ended up going Juco first. Every transfer since then, with the exception of Obanor, were non-impact players. That’s actually exceptional!

On the Flip side Mills has also had pretty good success on getting D-1 transfers to come in and play an important role. Austin Ruder from Missouri state(hit that amazing game winner against one of the Dakota schools) brought a lot of shooting. Kaelon Malone in year 2 from Wichita state and Kerwin Smith from Grand Canyon. Year 3 - Deondre Burns from Little Rock and Ty Lazenby from Oklahoma. Ty was a flop for the most part. Year 4- technically no one but RJ Glasper started his career at Arkansas. Year 5 - McBride and Phipps. Honestly, a pretty good haul.

• Upvote 2

Typically when looking at a coach's transfer rate, you look at players they recruited who transfered out. Quite a few of those players (Javan, Spencer, Chris) were Sutton recruits.

• Upvote 1

You can question Mills' X's and O's, and after this season I think that's a reasonable critique, but he has done very, very well in keeping talent out of the transfer portal and that's the key to building a program. Not being able to keep talent and having to restock every season is what ends up ending a lot of coaches careers (Frank Haith for example). 

Completely SHOCKED that there are still no ORU players in the portal. I am sure at least 1 or 2 are yet coming, but it is very encouraging that none of our significant pieces have opted out yet. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Sam Griesel to Nebraska. 

That’s mildly surprising; a lot of Bison faithful thought he was bound for Creighton

Could someone please post a link to the transfer portal website(s)?

Hunter Goodrick from USD entered the transfer portal

David Wingettt from SDSU entered the transfer portal

Keylan Boone from Oklahoma State entered the transfer portal

Updated (3/21) conference transfers:

Denver:  3  (Gatlin, Green, Moore)

North Dakota: 4  (Bruns, Howard, Igbanugo, McGrath)

NDSU:  6  (Cook, Haman, Harden-Hayes, Eady, Griesel, Guy)

South Dakota:  6  (Chisom, Fuller, Koster, Anderson, Goodrick, Perrott-Hunt)

South Dakota State:  2  (Friedel, Wingett)

Western Illinois:   4  (Anhold, Burrell, Flores, Sandage)

St. Thomas:   2  (Nelson, Omersa)

Kansas City:  1   (Boser)

Omaha:  1  (Lemetti)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

TheEagleman may enter the transfer portal to a better team.....🍺😎😉

• Haha 1