Who Will Return Next Year?

eagle88

Now the speculation begins. If I am correct everyone except Francis could return. Here is how I see it: Max will leave to play his senior year at a bigger school. Plet, Bergens, Clover, Luca Tekavcic will transfer. This will open up spots from the transfer portal or for incoming freshman. I am 50-50 on whether Eli stays.

Just for the record I have no inside information. This is just a guess.  The transfer portal could be a game changer as we could land some really good players that could contribute right away.

Weaver might want to transfer to a school where he can play on the wing as a small forward. Then he could shoot threes/ mid range jumpers and guard guys his own size.  He has been at ORU for four years including the injury season of 19-20.

Eaglefan 21 covered the subject very well. Should be an interesting off season!

4 hours ago, eagle88 said:

Now the speculation begins. If I am correct everyone except Francis could return. Here is how I see it: Max will leave to play his senior year at a bigger school. Plet, Bergens, Clover, Luca Tekavcic will transfer. This will open up spots from the transfer portal or for incoming freshman. I am 50-50 on whether Eli stays.

Lacis just played his fourth season, with last season not technically counting towards eligibility. So my understanding is that he COULD return if he chose to, though I doubt he does. The only other player from our core rotation that I see leaving is Max. He may stay, but I think he is more likely than not to leave, unfortunately. Admittedly, it's probably in his best interest. It'll be a devastating loss for us - he has carried us in so many ways and covered over so many deficiencies our team has.

As for the reserves, who knows. They may all leave for all we know. 

I'm sure like many of you  on the message board we are all trying to get over our depression from last night. If this is any consolation it appears the ORU baseball team is really good and could have a special season. They are 9-2 and play Wichita State this afternoon. It is so difficult to see what happened last season and have a big core of the team returning only to end the season like we did last night. Better days ahead my friends!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If the reserves (Bergens, Clover, and Plet) left then they would probably have to transfer down to D2 or D3, just like Stevens and Jones did last year. When you sit on the bench for two years then D1 schools probably do not want you on scholarship.

4 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

It's crazy that Plet,Clover, and Bergans have been in the program two years and from a fan's perspective, I still have no idea what their capabilities are.

The frustrating thing is that a developed big would open up so much for guys like Abmas and McBride. ORU doesn't have a forward who you can throw the ball to in the post and get a bucket. Teams figured that out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

The frustrating thing is that a developed big would open up so much for guys like Abmas and McBride. ORU doesn't have a forward who you can throw the ball to in the post and get a bucket. Teams figured that out.

Get Kyan Brown back down here on staff.  I hate seeing him on the NDSU bench. I have great admiration for him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

If the reserves (Bergens, Clover, and Plet) left then they would probably have to transfer down to D2 or D3, just like Stevens and Jones did last year. When you sit on the bench for two years then D1 schools probably do not want you on scholarship.

I agree with this. I actually think most guys will stay. Max, McBride, Jurgens, Thompson, Weaver, and Lufile should all stay. Phipps will stay, and Herron should have an opportunity to replace Lacis. There might will be some guys who didn’t play much transfer out, which could give us an opportunity to bolster our depth some more on the perimeter. 

• Upvote 1

Watching SDSU and NSSU tonight reminds me of how we played last year in the Conference tournament.  Both schools play really good team ball and have good chemistry.  I really think that is something we were missing this year. Our chemistry is good but not what it was last year. Hopefully we get it figured out next year and get back to the Big Dance.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

Watching SDSU and NSSU tonight reminds me of how we played last year in the Conference tournament.  Both schools play really good team ball and have good chemistry.  I really think that is something we were missing this year. Our chemistry is good but not what it was last year. Hopefully we get it figured out next year and get back to the Big Dance.

Truth! My thoughts exactly

BOLD PREDICTION:  If SDSU wins a game or two in the tourney, their coach Henderson will be a hot commidity, and could even land at 11th & Harvard as Frank Haith's replacement.

Also would't be surprised to hear Kyan Brown and/or Sean Sutton mentioned for Omaha.

I do not think Sean Sutton will ever be a head coach again.  He inherited a strong OSU program and ran it into the ground. Then he went to ORU as the lead assistant and ORU became progressively worse each year due to an obvious lack of recruiting.

Surely he is one contributor to Texas Tech’s success, but I think there are many better candidates than him.  I could definitely be proven wrong.

However, Kyan Brown would probably deserve an interview at Omaha.  I think he might become a head coach in the Summit League sometime over the next several years.

9 hours ago, Old Titan said:

BOLD PREDICTION:  If SDSU wins a game or two in the tourney, their coach Henderson will be a hot commidity, and could even land at 11th & Harvard as Frank Haith's replacement.

Agreed - no chance Henderson is back next year, unfortunately. However, interest in him is already well beyond TU's class of potential hires, let alone if he wins a game in the tourney.

TU is not the job it was just a few years ago. They don't have any money, the athletic department as a whole is floundering, and the AAC is set to take a significant step back with most of their best programs leaving. They'll get a good assistant ready to give head coaching a try or a solid D2 head coach ready to make the jump (i.e. Mizzou).

Probably going to need to start a new topic for this but some dominoes are already falling. Ethan Igbanugo and Paul Bruns are entering the transfer portal. That's a huge blow to a north dakota team that was struggling this year.  Bruns was a nice player.      https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/paul-bruns

• Upvote 1