Coach Mills' Comments About Omaha & Derrin Hansen

ORob1

I didn't agree with the coaching strategy for most of this season but Mills has already brought ORU the most success in recent memory (arguably EVER). Going to the Sweet 16 as a low major is big accomplishment. Expectations are high but they have to be tempered with some realism.

Losing a major contributor like Obanor ended up being a bigger problem than most of us anticipated. Did losing coach Bozeman to UAPB hurt team chemistry as well? We don't really know. 🤷‍♂️

Personally, I like Coach Mills and the program is in a MUCH better place since he arrived.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I didn't agree with the coaching strategy for most of this season but Mills has already brought ORU the most success in recent memory (arguably EVER). Going to the Sweet 16 as a low major is big accomplishment. Expectations are high but they have to be tempered with some realism.

Losing a major contributor like Obanor ended up being a bigger problem than most of us anticipated. Did losing coach Bozeman to UAPB hurt team chemistry as well? We don't really know. 🤷‍♂️

Personally, I like Coach Mills and the program is in a MUCH better place since he arrived.

I completely agree with this. People expecting a Sweet Sixteen every year (or even a top finish in this conference) need to relax. Progress is rarely, if ever, linear. There are always ups and downs. Last year was an incredible peak and expectations were really high this year. We didn’t perform to expectations, and had a disappointing year. However, even in the bad year, we still finished top 3 in the conference. If Top 3 in the conference is our floor as a team, we’re doing pretty good. Next year we should be able to win the conference and try for another run in the tournament. I think Coach Mills is a fantastic coach that represents the university well. He makes plenty of mistakes, no doubt, but I still can’t think of a better person to be head basketball coach at ORU. 

• Upvote 1

As I think has been mentioned in an earlier post, this thread has become somewhat disjointed.  What began as a question and subsequent conversation re: Coach Mills recent behavior has fractured into an indictment, and subsequent defense, of his ability as a coach.

All these elements are worthy of debate; personally I can live with the results on the floor, though I find the style of play maddening, and I think this roster was capable of more with a different tactical approach.

But, my disappointment with everything mentioned beyond the X's and O's is far more bothersome than the particular wins and losses of a given season, and frankly that;s always been my beef with Coach Mills:  I simply don't think he appreciates and/or respects the full scope of his responsibilities as head basketball coach at ORU. 

He sometimes hits the ball out of the ballpark, particularly when it comes to professing his faith, but there sure are a lot of strikeouts amongst all the at-bats...

31 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

Maybe this is why at the heart of our faith in Jesus Christ we are constantly reminded that only He is perfect and incapable of sin. As I grow in my faith I am less apt to criticize others because I often see my own shortcomings and frailty. I heard it said once that we judge others by their actions and ourselves by our intentions. Let's be careful to admonish each other to good works but be  slow to criticize. Clearly Coach Mills confesses Jesus Christ and like all of us is on his journey to perfection. Let's pray for God's grace and blessings on him and his family. 

No one is questioning coach Mills as a person or his faith. Any criticism is not personal, its related to his performance of his duties as our head basketball coach! 

This is a basketball fan board, we praise the coach and the programs success and we criticize and analyze when we feel the coach or team isn't performing up to its capabilities. Coach Mills chose this profession and he knows full well what comes with it, good and bad!! Like it or not coaches are judged by wins and losses.

We all want good things for coach and our program, it's not personal but criticism comes with it!! Go Eagles!!!  

• Upvote 3

I think most of the posts have been reflective and constructive - as well as sometimes critical. No problem with that.  Some (not yours ORU40) have gotten a bit personal and close to violating the rules of the board. I would remind everyone not to name call or make things personal. We all love ORU basketball and want the program to succeed. You can be sure the coaches and players do too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

No one is questioning coach Mills as a person or his faith. Any criticism is not personal, its related to his performance of his duties as our head basketball coach! 

This is a basketball fan board, we praise the coach and the programs success and we criticize and analyze when we feel the coach or team isn't performing up to its capabilities. Coach Mills chose this profession and he knows full well what comes with it, good and bad!! Like it or not coaches are judged by wins and losses.

We all want good things for coach and our program, it's not personal but criticism comes with it!! Go Eagles!!!  

Exactly. 

He's paid a lot of money; not just to win games, but to be an ambassador for the school.  It's part of the drill.

And, as anyone who knows me can tell you, NO ONE gets more criticism from my direction than ME!  🤣

• Like 2

After watching NDSU lose to SDSU on Tuesday evening....TheEagleman can understand why Coach may have wanted to punch somebody out in Bison Gold....they are an irritating bunch.....Paul Mills has had a tough 2022 after a wonderful 2021....so will we give the poor guy some time to work things out.....he's a good man who needs a little polishing around the edges....don't we all?.....:hc_mills:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

After watching NDSU lose to SDSU on Tuesday evening....TheEagleman can understand why Coach may have wanted to punch somebody out in Bison Gold....they are an irritating bunch.....Paul Mills has had a tough 2022 after a wonderful 2021....so will we give the poor guy some time to work things out.....he's a good man who needs a little polishing around the edges....don't we all?.....:hc_mills:

That's for sure. 

You need to get off the sauce and quit the gambling. SINNER! 🤣

• Haha 1

Sorry....TheEagleman learned it all from Dr. Morgan......not Captain Morgan.....See the source image

• Haha 1