ORU vs. NDSU Semi Final

theeagleman5

I was wrong, NDSU beat ORU three times with no problem. Congratulations to the Bison they are just the better team this year. 

Not sure what the Eagles could have done on defense: Bison hit threes against the zone and dominated the paint against the man to man. It was just their night from beginning to end.

Keep the zone with Lufile and Weaver/Lacis down low.  Make them earn it rather than making it easy.  An absolutely terribly coached game.  It is like Mills did not even consider defense with the lineups he put out there in the 2nd half.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Keep the zone with Lufile and Weaver/Lacis down low.  Make them earn it rather than making it easy.  An absolutely terribly coached game.  It is like Mills did not even consider defense with the lineups he put out there in the 2nd half.  

Agree ORUJason. I think we neutralized Lufile. His strength is offensive rebounding. He was going against 4 Bison all night because we had 4 guys on the perimeter jacking threes and he was left alone on the interior to do the work. That’s just one example. 

I agree that Mills sucked tonight. He was out coached and out classed. Unbelievable that he put Phipps out there as long as he did. The 5 players who finished the last 2 minutes of the game were better than most of the ORU players in the previous 38 minutes.

Pathetic performance....not much else TheEagleman can say except congrats to NDSU....beating us 3 times in under 60 days is impressive....🍺

The question every season is can ORU beat NDSU or SDSU? They were 0-5 this year but 13-2 against the rest of the league. It is a question that every Summit League team must answer because besides last year, the Bison and Jackrabbits have dominated the league for 10 years.

Not getting the second seed and having to play three games in a row really hurt the Eagles. ORU looked flat/tired but NDSU came out flying and looking fresh.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I was wrong, NDSU beat ORU three times with no problem. Congratulations to the Bison they are just the better team this year. 

Not sure what the Eagles could have done on defense: Bison hit threes against the zone and dominated the paint against the man to man. It was just their night from beginning to end.

I think the better expression would be: “It’s hard to beat a team you’ve already lost to twice.” There’s usually a reason they won the first two. 

6 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

I think the better expression would be: “It’s hard to beat a team you’ve already lost to twice.” There’s usually a reason they won the first two. 

Good point Tex. NDSU lead by 19 points with 10 minutes in the first half. The game felt like it was over as soon as it begin. Just do not see the Eagles winning if they played the Bison three more times!

As someone else stated, we were out coached and out classed.  I may say more later and congrats to NDSU, but neither NDSU or SDSU are Power 5 blue chip programs.  As the saying goes, what we have here is a serious misuse of resources.  Finally, as for a CBI/CIT invite, right now I would say pass.  If it is an NIT bid, take it but that is not going to happen.

Mills will take any invitation we receive so he can keep rolling that 4 guard line up out onto the court. What’s the definition of insanity?

2 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Mills will take any invitation we receive so he can keep rolling that 4 guard line up out onto the court. What’s the definition of insanity?

Otis my man, so right! this seasons coaching philosophy and insistence on using that 3 small guard line up is the definition of insanity. When you look at our season, we did not adjust and we did not improve, we lost our opener by 29 and we lost last night by 20 and we did not beat a good team this year!!  Even the handful of games where we expanded our offense and used Lufile, we always went right back to the 3 small guard- lets just fire up 3's crap. We all saw what worked this year, but unfortunately we saw what didn't work so much more, OT has talked about it for weeks- we have to double in the post and help on defense, but we never did, game after game just dominated inside!!! 

After watching this entire season, and I have been critical of the 3 small line up, rotation/minutes and one dimensional offense all year, I believe our system doesn't work and will not be successful moving forward.  Our 1 good year- the sweet 16 season, was due to the personnel in the system. That team caught fire at the right time because of KO in the system doing all the little things we saw that didn't get done without him. I'm not going to list them all, but could we have used a little post D and toughness this year??? and Max must wake up at night in a sweat wishing KO was setting that high pick and getting the looks he got last year because it was KO up there setting it. 

You have to adjust to the talent you have; we didn't, we just kept trying to force players into a system that didn't fit our rosters skill set!!! Hopefully, we can keep some of our best talent out of the portal! We have to do a better job of in- game and long term adjustments. Small ball with no D is not a recipe for future success!!

I'm really hope we get an honest, realistic review of this season and clear vision of what we plan to change that will put us in a position to be successful moving forward from coach!! Go Eagles!!!   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Otis my man, so right! this seasons coaching philosophy and insistence on using that 3 small guard line up is the definition of insanity. When you look at our season, we did not adjust and we did not improve, we lost our opener by 29 and we lost last night by 20 and we did not beat a good team this year!!  Even the handful of games where we expanded our offense and used Lufile, we always went right back to the 3 small guard- lets just fire up 3's crap. We all saw what worked this year, but unfortunately we saw what didn't work so much more, OT has talked about it for weeks- we have to double in the post and help on defense, but we never did, game after game just dominated inside!!! 

After watching this entire season, and I have been critical of the 3 small line up, rotation/minutes and one dimensional offense all year, I believe our system doesn't work and will not be successful moving forward.  Our 1 good year- the sweet 16 season, was due to the personnel in the system. That team caught fire at the right time because of KO in the system doing all the little things we saw that didn't get done without him. I'm not going to list them all, but could we have used a little post D and toughness this year??? and Max must wake up at night in a sweat wishing KO was setting that high pick and getting the looks he got last year because it was KO up there setting it. 

You have to adjust to the talent you have; we didn't, we just kept trying to force players into a system that didn't fit our rosters skill set!!! Hopefully, we can keep some of our best talent out of the portal! We have to do a better job of in- game and long term adjustments. Small ball with no D is not a recipe for future success!!

I'm really hope we get an honest, realistic review of this season and clear vision of what we plan to change that will put us in a position to be successful moving forward from coach!! Go Eagles!!!   

And here's a ? for you ORU40. Will we lose players to transfer portal due to frustration

4 minutes ago, jmg1984 said:

And here's a ? for you ORU40. Will we lose players to transfer portal due to frustration

Unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me at all! If you were a big, would you want to play in this current system? I'm worried about the transfer portal and the effect on recruiting.

• Like 1

A thorough embarrassment. Feeling pretty depressed this morning. Obviously, NDSU is still lightyears ahead of our program and where we want to be and maybe some of us thought we were. Grant Nelson is going to be something really special for them if they're able to keep him around. It'll be interesting to see what that team looks like next year. 

My thoughts: 

1) Our guys just looked gas from the start. Just didn't have the juice that their guys did.

2) Surprising/disappointing offensive strategy which resulted in a lot of really tough, contested looks close to the rim. Nearly all possessions were 5 guys standing on the perimeter with one man attacking the basket until he got stopped, and then he passes out to a guy who hasn't moved for 10 seconds and lets him have a crack at driving to the bucket. I think a lot of this standing around and lack of intentional, purposeful, make-the-defense-adjust, off-ball movement was probably due to my first point.

3) Defense was abysmal. Poor team defense, poor on-ball defense. 25% point 1), 75% same stuff we've seen all season. 

4) What happened to our three point shooting? Last year's 3-point shooting was a strength that spread defenses thin. This year, team's slowly started to pack the lane more and more over the course of the season and last night, there was AT LEAST 3 bodies in the lane at all times. We never managed to shoot them out of that. We just kept attacking the lane and attempting to take on 3 guys at the rim. 

5) Max has to fight for every inch, all night long. He fought hard. Thankful he's a Golden Eagle. Was that his last game with an ORU on his chest?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jmg1984 said:

Today's Tulsa world article says it all!

Agreed. It was a great read and summarized the struggles of the season well. Does anybody have the ability to post it here? 

8 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me at all! If you were a big, would you want to play in this current system? I'm worried about the transfer portal and the effect on recruiting.

That's my fear as well. Clover, Plet, and Herron are all on the bench but never utilized.

Either development or the preference to play undersized guards (or BOTH) is a problem. The top teams in the Summit all have true skilled centers over 6'8" (some are true 7 footers)... playing four guards and an undersized 5 gets us the result we saw last night.

• Upvote 1

Couldn't agree more ORU 40. For some reason I couldn't connect to ESPN+ last night so I listened to the game and watched the box score. It became obvious when I saw that the 2 shortest guys Max and McBride had the vast majority of the points we were in for a long night. How in the world does Eli play only 17 minutes and score 0 points. This one stat tells you everything you need to know! It's one thing getting beat when you employed a good strategy but just get outplayed. Our strategy was flawed thus we will never know what the outcome could have been with a better game plan!