Round 1: WIU

Keenan Henderson

ORU begins their title defense with a quaterfinal game tomorrow night with WIU.  The Leathernecks have a big size advantage at almost every position, which has given ORU trouble in their first two games.  The Eagles will need to speed the game up and use their quickness to cause turnovers on defense.  Otherwise that size advantage will continue to give ORU trouble in the half court game.  Think ORU finds a way to win 85-81.

ORU is a surprising -6 and the O/U is 163.5......TheEagleman still going over tape but loving some WIU at that number......:wiu:

There is usually an upset or two in the first round of the Summit Tournament.....the Saturday night games both went to the favorites so it's up to USD and WIU on Sunday to continue the tradition.....I think both the 4-5 and 3-6 games are going to be close....very close...in fact UMKC and USD are EVEN per Vegas.....ORU a surprising 6 point favorite which means they haven't been playing close attention to how we've played over the past month......now don't get me wrong...TheEagleman thinks that ORU can win this game....not gonna be easy but I think the Good Guys are the better team.....since winning in Tulsa last month, the Leathernecks are only 2-5 and the wins are against UND and Omaha both lousy teams.....not sure what has happened to our defense.....it's been missing in action most of the season.....TheEagleman is hoping that Coach Mills has been working on that in practice and also hoping that Max has been healing from whatever has been bothering him off and on since December......I think Max is going to get his on Sunday night....30 or more.....there will be lots of scoring and let's pray that ORU does just a little more than WIU.....we can't afford to fall behind by 20+ like we did in the last meeting.....this should be back and forth and I expect it goes over....maybe way over and this will be down to the final minute.....ORU advances but not without making us all sweat .................................. ORU 92  WIU 88......and bring on the Bison.....  :wiu::shield-logo:

Good point Eagleman, WIU is struggling too. They have not looked like a 7-11 team in conference play against ORU.  Even with Big Maple  starting , the Leathernecks have about 13 inch overall size advantage in starting lineups.  Which makes it very hard to score around the basket.  So if ORU is not hitting threes then they are in for a long night.  Hoping Coach Mills can figure out how to matchup with WIU and of course NDSU causes the same problem.

True Confessions:  it's gonna be "Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner", either way this game turns out.  The lumber has been layed/laid/lain!!

Leathernecks, "STRAIGHT UP!"  #TrustTheProcess

Betting Stop Motion GIF by Adult Swim

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

There is usually an upset or two in the first round of the Summit Tournament.....the Saturday night games both went to the favorites so it's up to USD and WIU on Sunday to continue the tradition.....I think both the 4-5 and 3-6 games are going to be close....very close...in fact UMKC and USD are EVEN per Vegas.....ORU a surprising 6 point favorite which means they haven't been playing close attention to how we've played over the past month......now don't get me wrong...TheEagleman thinks that ORU can win this game....not gonna be easy but I think the Good Guys are the better team.....since winning in Tulsa last month, the Leathernecks are only 2-5 and the wins are against UND and Omaha both lousy teams.....not sure what has happened to our defense.....it's been missing in action most of the season.....TheEagleman is hoping that Coach Mills has been working on that in practice and also hoping that Max has been healing from whatever has been bothering him off and on since December......I think Max is going to get his on Sunday night....30 or more.....there will be lots of scoring and let's pray that ORU does just a little more than WIU.....we can't afford to fall behind by 20+ like we did in the last meeting.....this should be back and forth and I expect it goes over....maybe way over and this will be down to the final minute.....ORU advances but not without making us all sweat .................................. ORU 92  WIU 88......and bring on the Bison.....  :wiu::shield-logo:

They've had D? 😄😄😄

Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but do we know Lufile's status for this game?

He left the USD loss with 5 minutes to go and the game hanging in the balance, never to return.  What appeared at first to be leg cramps might actually have been a calf strain, which can be a tricky ailment to deal with a week later for someone who uses their explosiveness so effectively.

Here's hoping he (and Max, of course) are both at 100% tonight, and for the remaining two games (see what I did there?  lol).

• Like 3

Mills said in a Tulsa World tourney preview that Max is 100%. Didn't say anything about Lufile which could be a bad sign. 

So I'm here with hot takes, but first I think EagleMan and OT are smart to bet that line in favor of Western Illinois, and on that note I hate that we matched up with them first round, because I was hoping to be able to cheer for these guys. They have a few players that are fun to watch and play with heart, seem to be coached well, and run a game plan well. 

My hot takes would be 

1.) We will see a team/game we haven't seen before.

2.) We win by 20+.

3.) Mills is just suuuuper chill and cool in the post game interview. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Do these guys really not know how to pronounce Max's last name?

Defense improved in the first and the Eagles have doubled the post, which we have not seen much this year. Big Maple taking over on the offensive rebounds. Solid first half and the good guys lead by 12!

I agree with Coach Mill’s. Darrin Hansen was a great coach and a mentor to a lot of young men. He will be missed in this league. 

Very solid defense from ORU in the first 20 minutes.  Good shot selection and for the most part not trying to force shots. 

Lufile is a force.  14 points and 9 rebounds in the first half in about 16 minutes of play.  Too bad he picked up his 2nd foul right before halftime.

The referees are calling a good game.  Letting them play but calling only legitimate fouls.

Not just relying on the 3 point shot, but instead working to get better shots and drives to the basket.

Keep it up!  

I know the game has evolved, and coaches like Mills rely on the metrics that make them fall in love with the 3's. But it sure is nice to see us pounding it inside to a big that is dominating!!!   

Go Eagles!!!

• Upvote 1

Nice win. Made our free throws (13/14). The big guy played big.