Upcoming tournament

Keenan Henderson

Just wanted to remind everyone that we can watch the games (quarterfinals and semifinals) on ESPN plus.  You can sign up for a month at $5.99 and then cancel it when the month is over. 

Few questions as the tournament looms: anyone going to the Summit League tournament?  What are some upsets that we may see in the first round?  How can ORU's defense flip the switch again in March?  Did ORU peak too early in the season or can they hit the reset button in March? 

Just conversation  starters and feel free to add any topics as we think about the upcoming tournament.

ORU is done......time to put us out of our misery......See the source image

I hope you are wrong Eagleman but we better get it together Pronto! We need to dig deep like last year!!

This is what ORU has been building for all season.  Coach Mills said something along the lines that yes the season did not end well but we can turn things around in South Dakota (paraphasing, those at Saturday night's game may remember exactly what he said when he was given the mic).  The Eagles still have good talent and experience.  Just need to start winning close games.  

As we know, anything can happen in elimination tournaments like these.  It's a new season that is exciting: March Madness!  Here is my upset special for Saturday night: Denver over NDSU.  The Pioneers are young but have been improving all year.  They have gone from 1 to 7 league wins in one year.  Denver has nothing to lose and I am picking the Colorado team (backing the local team) in an upset 71-70.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if Herron, Plett and Clover can play good enough defense, but if they can, I would suggest that they combine them as a force to defend the big guys that have been killing us on the inside lately. They can play very close and not worry about fouling because you have fifteen fouls between them to give. Lufile can defend a lesser scorer and still be available for rebounding. It means less time for Weaver, but he is not doing much right now, anyway. He can spell Lufile when he needs a rest. Lacis, Thompson, Jurgens, McBride and Phipps share the minutes for the other three spots since Max never comes out of the game. Let those three big guys throw some weight around and make the area around the basket a little more uncomfortable. Lufile does a good job in the paint, but I don't think he can play tough enough on defense because he would get in early foul trouble. I don't know if it would work, but it seems that the better teams have discovered that we are incredibly weak on defense in the paint.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

This is what ORU has been building for all season.  Coach Mills said something along the lines that yes the season did not end well but we can turn things around in South Dakota (paraphasing, those at Saturday night's game may remember exactly what he said when he was given the mic).  The Eagles still have good talent and experience.  Just need to start winning close games.  

As we know, anything can happen in elimination tournaments like these.  It's a new season that is exciting: March Madness!  Here is my upset special for Saturday night: Denver over NDSU.  The Pioneers are young but have been improving all year.  They have gone from 1 to 7 league wins in one year.  Denver has nothing to lose and I am picking the Colorado team (backing the local team) in an upset 71-70.

I'm thinking and hoping that too🏀

3 hours ago, dave said:

I don't know if Herron, Plett and Clover can play good enough defense, but if they can, I would suggest that they combine them as a force to defend the big guys that have been killing us on the inside lately. They can play very close and not worry about fouling because you have fifteen fouls between them to give. Lufile can defend a lesser scorer and still be available for rebounding. It means less time for Weaver, but he is not doing much right now, anyway. He can spell Lufile when he needs a rest. Lacis, Thompson, Jurgens, McBride and Phipps share the minutes for the other three spots since Max never comes out of the game. Let those three big guys throw some weight around and make the area around the basket a little more uncomfortable. Lufile does a good job in the paint, but I don't think he can play tough enough on defense because he would get in early foul trouble. I don't know if it would work, but it seems that the better teams have discovered that we are incredibly weak on defense in the paint.  

I like herron the best good impact in 2 min last game

• Upvote 1

Herron brings good energy when he comes into the game.  He is perfect for running the full court press with his long arms and athletic ablitites.  He does need to put on some muscle (15 pounds in the offseason), so he is able to defend the post better.  SLIM has a bright future with ORU and if Lacis graduates then he will probaly get some or most of his minutes next year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

TheEagleman feels almost as bad as Steve Buscemi in Fargo.......Image result for steve buscemi fargo photos

LOL! Let's hope that after we win the conference tournament we have a big time tailgate party like we did last year in Indy! That will lighten our load!

• Upvote 1

This year the tournament is back in Denny Sanford arena, which holds about 12,000.  Hoping some of the fan base shows up for ORU's games and maybe some of the students will make the trip.  Is anyone going to the tournament?

Highest seed in the Summit League tournament for the Eagles since 2015.

Of course a big snowstorm coming Saturday up here in Dakotas.....so we will see about attendance but WITH BWWS closed now 3 blocks away, I cannot attend cuz of that. 😞

If someone from the Dakota's says it's a big snow storm, it must be huge.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

How about any of the ESPN channels?

As Keenan Henderson said in the first post in this thread, ESPN+ is carrying the quarter and semifinal games. 

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

678744541_Untitled3.thumb.jpeg.47a7100310ebd581ed0a4a724a1a8d4d.jpeg

Reading. It’s FUNdamental!