Joe Dial "Stepping Down" at Season End

Old Titan

In its statement, ORU said:

“The ORU Athletic Department sincerely appreciates Coach Joe Dial’s many years of service and dedication and never had the intention, in any way, of moving on to a new head coach. Coach Dial’s resignation came as a complete surprise. The goal and highest value of the Athletic Department has always been to serve and support our student-athletes and coaches in every sport, including track and field, with honor and integrity, including the building of a new on-campus multi-million dollar track and field facility. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic imposed budgetary constraints that resulted in the implementation of difficult decisions by collegiate athletic programs throughout the country, including within the ORU Athletic Department across multiple sports. A fellow conference member dissolved their track and field program entirely. We have and continue to progress and work toward returning to our pre-pandemic level of support and scholarships, in the interim, we have operated within our available resources while continuing to give our student-athletes an outstanding collegiate athletic experience. The Athletic Department does not agree with narratives or assertions that are inconsistent with these statements. We are saddened by Mr. Dial’s consistent misunderstandings and his unmerited statements and claims.”

TW - Full Article

I have no personal knowledge of this situation but I have been involved with ORU my entire life.  I find Joe Dial's account completely believable based on that history.  The lengthening list of "disgruntled" former ORU employees gets longer all the time. 

ORU's statement was clearly written by a lawyer (I should know) and is predictably non-responsive.  Just when I was starting to get back into donor-mode, they have to remind me to be careful with my treasure.

Why are Christian organizations in general, and ORU in particular, so terrible at separating from employment relationships?

• Upvote 1

"We are saddened by Mr. Dial's misunderstandings and his unmerited statements and claims".

It would have been better just to say "no comment". 

What a bunch of hucksters.

27 minutes ago, OKC Eagle said:

Why are Christian organizations in general, and ORU in particular, so terrible at separating from employment relationships?

That's a great question.

This situation (and others) in the past, are so avoidable. If you want to replace someone, simply call them into your office, look them in the eye, and tell them you are going another direction. It's really not complicated. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OKC Eagle said:

Just when I was starting to get back into donor-mode, they have to remind me to be careful with my treasure.

This^^^^

Except of course, personally, the treasure part. 🤑

I'm not sure why anyone believes Joe Dial's story.  He is a hurt former employee who is now trying to hurt others.  I think there are probably bits of his story that are true, but overall it is a one-sided rant.  I also thought the response from ORU was fine.

The good at ORU FAR outweighs the bad.  Lives are being changed. Remember that Satan is always working to cause chaos and disorder.

Don't believe everything you hear!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

I'm not sure why anyone believes Joe Dial's story. 

Because his story rings true for a lot of people that have had similar dealings with the individuals in question. And, because Joe Dial is widely known to be an honorable man. 

• Like 1

Fortunately Tulsa World influence and readership aren’t  what they used to be.