The Mabee Center Nets

Old Titan

Hey, I've been meaning to ask this question for the past several games, but I keep forgetting till now:  what's the deal with the saggy old nets on both ends of the Mabee Center floor, always getting hung up in the rim following a swished 3-pointer?

It happens a couple of times each game, even more some times, and it's REALLY annoying to the referees who have to stop the game to have someone fix the net before the ball is inbounded.  I saw one ref look at the other when it happened for the third time a couple of weeks ago, with an incredulous "Really??" and a roll of the eyes.  Doubtful that's something they typically have to deal with in other D1 arenas.

Is this all by design?  Is this a little gamesmanship on ORU's part, to slow down the opponent's offense after ORU hits a three?  But, doesn't it work both ways, particularly when someone like WIU the other night hits 15 threes?

Wondering if an opposing coach can request that the old, droopy nets be changed out, either before or during the game?

Not sure about the Mabee Center nets but TheEagleman has also been sagging the last few years....😯

I too have noticed the nets always getting hung up.  I first noticed them during the past few warmups, and obviously they have become a problem during the games as well.  The nets definitely should be replaced. Kind of surprised they were not changed out during the whole Mabee renovations.

It is obvious from the torrent of responses to this hard-hitting topic that everyone is just as obsessed with this issue as I am... 🙄

But, know this:  when it happens Saturday night (and it will, if those nets aren't changed out), just give me a glance over in 104; I'll be doing one of these:

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

Or, you can just keep eating your popcorn - either is fine... 😎