Impending weather in Tulsa

vcboy2000

Will Western make it down through the snow and ice storm on Wednesday in time to play Thursday evening?

Will the game still be well attended? 

We shall see.

Would wager that WIU makes the trip today rather than deal with the potential hazards and delays of traveling Wednesday. 

48 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

Will the game still be well attended? 

We shall see.

This is a real bummer. Spending advertising dollars for free tix to this game hoping to get a really nice turnout for an important league game. And then here comes Mother Nature to ruin it. Even I'm questioning whether I'll be able to make it in my little civic - I'm sure the number of "casual fans" that are just there for the free ticket will be close to 0. 

Should be lots of "snowed in" students at the game, right?.....it's only a few hundred yards to walk from the dorms......:shield-logo:  VS. :wiu:

34 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Should be lots of "snowed in" students at the game, right?.....it's only a few hundred yards to walk from the dorms......:shield-logo:  VS. :wiu:

Maybe your memory is getting bad, eagleman.  It's a pretty good hike in the wintertime from the Mabee Center to "Towers" after the game, literally uphill all the way into a north wind, on a night where they're predicting sub-ZERO wind chills:

872134164_Screenshot2022-02-01102842.jpg.ede62e2a289a9c9b36cd0be76b986a91.jpg

I have nothing but admiration for ANY students who make that trek Thursday night when they could simply stream the game live in their dorm room via the ORU Sports Network.

(That being said, I will be there in person, because the refs can hear me better in an empty arena.  If any students need a ride to and from the dorms before and after, just let me know!)

37 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

literally uphill all the way into a north wind, on a night where they're predicting sub-ZERO wind chills:

A typical May evening in the Dakotas 😉

• Haha 2

Oh yeah....TheEagleman remembers that walk from the Men's Dorm and Twin Towers in winter all too well....it's 10 minutes tops.....and yes, it can be EXTREMELY COLD with that biting Oklahoma wind/snow....but come on, Students!....suck it up and support your Golden Eagles!!!...TheEagleman NEVER missed a game while on campus......:tb-white:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Oh yeah....TheEagleman remembers that walk from the Men's Dorm and Twin Towers in winter all too well....it's 10 minutes tops.....and yes, it can be EXTREMELY COLD with that biting Oklahoma wind/snow....but come on, Students!....suck it up and support your Golden Eagles!!!...TheEagleman NEVER missed a game while on campus......:tb-white:

splat rugrats GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

A typical May evening in the Dakotas 😉

I think they call it “baseball weather” up in the Dakotas. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah...i understand it was almost 50 years ago....but 500 yards is still 500 yards......This Generation is truly SOFT.....🥺

For those no doubt anticipating each salvo of this "old-men-on-the-lawn" exchange, or who have simply fallen

asleep already, I present this little cartographic nugget from your glory days on campus:

576078325_Screenshot2022-02-01150811.jpg.17d84235143367e48dbb8fe49f40c295.jpg

2070 feet from the Mabee Center North Lobby to "the Towers", as the crow/eagle flies over Fred Creek, the Prayer Gardens, etc.

Which translates to just under 700 yards, or 4/10's of a mile, a 10-to-15-minute walk as most of you no doubt remember.

...and the longest 15 minutes of your life if it's 10 degrees with snow blowing in your face!  😬🤣

OK....I give up....it's just too much to ask a young 18-20 year old to walk just under 700 yards in a little bit of cold weather to watch our ORU Golden Eagles do battle with the WIU Leathernecks in a VERY important Summit League contest.....of course, kids could always carpool from the dorm parking lot and drive the 700 yards to the Mabee Center ....but then again....gas is almost $4 a gallon and young kids don't always have that kind of money......so enjoy the game on your I-Phone.....😜

7 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

OK....I give up....it's just too much to ask a young 18-20 year old to walk just under 700 yards in a little bit of cold weather to watch our ORU Golden Eagles do battle with the WIU Leathernecks in a VERY important Summit League contest.....of course, kids could always carpool from the dorm parking lot and drive the 700 yards to the Mabee Center ....but then again....gas is almost $4 a gallon and young kids don't always have that kind of money......so enjoy the game on your I-Phone.....😜

I think there will be enough of a student turnout to make you proud...ish.

Comedy Central Lol GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

For those no doubt anticipating each salvo of this "old-men-on-the-lawn" exchange, or who have simply fallen

asleep already, I present this little cartographic nugget from your glory days on campus:

576078325_Screenshot2022-02-01150811.jpg.17d84235143367e48dbb8fe49f40c295.jpg

2070 feet from the Mabee Center North Lobby to "the Towers", as the crow/eagle flies over Fred Creek, the Prayer Gardens, etc.

Which translates to just under 700 yards, or 4/10's of a mile, a 10-to-15-minute walk as most of you no doubt remember.

...and the longest 15 minutes of your life if it's 10 degrees with snow blowing in your face!  😬🤣

I did a more precise measurement following the sidewalk path on google maps. It came in at a half a mile. If the Eagleman can do a half a mile up hill walking into a south Tulsa winter wind in 10 minutes he’s clearly earning more aerobics points these days than I am. 😛

That makes TheEagleman feel a lot better....we can always count on the Blue Crew....hope you guys don't get too much snow....what are there? 3 plows and 2 salt trucks in Tulsa? GO BLUE!!!  🍺

12 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

That makes TheEagleman feel a lot better....we can always count on the Blue Crew....hope you guys don't get too much snow....what are there? 3 plows and 2 salt trucks in Tulsa? GO BLUE!!!  🍺

"The city has more than 60 spreader trucks and plows with 210 employees treating the main roads and bridges, then switching over to residential areas."

The above is according to a News On 6 article I just read. Even still we won't have clear roads to get people to the game tomorrow. 🤣

We just got 5-6 inches of snow in Colorado, so it is probaly headed Tulsa's way.

Here's a shot of downtown Tulsa Wednesday night.  Pretty sure that's TheEagleman getting an early start on his walk to the Mabee Center for tonight's game.

image.png.3bd2bcf79c2ea7f81cec0a80ac981f52.png

• Haha 1