ORU at Omaha

ORUTerry

I think the good guys had a wake up call the last 2 games and will come out swinging. ORU 85- Mavs 70.

I don't know that lumping the NDSU game in with the UND game as "woeful" is fair. NDSU's season was on the line and they played like it. I felt our defense was solid for the most part and our offense was too, though we couldn't actually get anything through the hole. Max played a good game, just couldn't get anything in the hole. Sometimes you just have those nights. We had a really poor shooting night that we most likely won't replicate for the rest of the season, and yet were still in the lead with 7 seconds left (let's forget about what happened after that).  I wouldn't classify that as a poor performance. 

Good guys by 20+ tonight. I'll say ORU 87, Omaha 65

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Unless you go to the free throw line 25 to 30 times, which hasn't happened yet this season vs. D1 opponents (22 FTA , thrice), and is almost inconceivable on the road with ORU's offensive approach of late.

With our style of play we wont get anywhere near 25 FT's in a game. When your scoring is guard dominate and your entire offense is geared to shooting 3's you're just not going to get to the line with any frequency and our stats bear that out.

We have played 20 games this year and our starting front court have shot 31 combined total FT's:

Weaver: 13, Kareem:11 and Lacis: 7, in 20 games our starting front court has shot 31 free throws!!! That's attempts not makes, and it works out to 1.55 free throw attempts from your starting front court per game!!!  Just for comparison, Lufile and Herron in far less minutes played have attempted 23 & 22 FT's respectively. Our top scorer, Max shoots 4 a game.  I'd love to see us diversify our offense a little more; some post ups and drives to the basket to draw some more fouls and get to the line more often; but it not, lets hope the 3's are dropping!

Go Eagles!!  

Believe that Omaha remembers the 45 point thrashing they took at the Mabee Center just a few weeks ago and will come out playing tough.  The Mavs only lost to NDSU by four at home and SDSU by nine at home.  Then they lose by 30 or more on the road most nights.  They will give the Eagles a tough fight tonight but ORU will find a way to get back in the winner's column.  

46 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

With our style of play we wont get anywhere near 25 FT's in a game. When your scoring is guard dominate and your entire offense is geared to shooting 3's you're just not going to get to the line with any frequency and our stats bear that out.

We have played 20 games this year and our starting front court have shot 31 combined total FT's:

Weaver: 13, Kareem:11 and Lacis: 7, in 20 games our starting front court has shot 31 free throws!!! That's attempts not makes, and it works out to 1.55 free throw attempts from your starting front court per game!!!  Just for comparison, Lufile and Herron in far less minutes played have attempted 23 & 22 FT's respectively. Our top scorer, Max shoots 4 a game.  I'd love to see us diversify our offense a little more; some post ups and drives to the basket to draw some more fouls and get to the line more often; but it not, lets hope the 3's are dropping!

Go Eagles!!  

Francis Lacis is a particular case in point: 

• In his last five games, he's scored a total of 16 points. 
  • He's taken 18 shots in that span, 16 of which were threes (making only four of them)
  • He made both of his 2-point shots (pretty sure they were both dunks vs. UND)
  • He has not shot a single free throw in that time

That means one of ORU's starting frontcourt players has not even ATTEMPTED a lay-up, a turnaround shot off a post move, a nice pull-up on the baseline or off the glass, or a free throw, in five straight games.

That's crazy, isn't it?

He needs to take a page from his old teammate Kevin Obanor this past month:  pull up your big boy pants, get off the freaking 3-point line, get under the basket, and go to work!

work perfect loops GIF

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

He needs to take a page from his old teammate Kevin Obanor this past month:  pull up your big boy pants, got off the freaking 3-point line, get under the basket, and go to work!

I agree regarding Lacis, but I would change the He at the start of that sentence to WE. As a team we need to get off the 3 point line as much as we are, get in the paint and get to work! I think without KO this year we are too much of a finesse team; almost soft, as we play small often with 5 guys just floating around behind the 3 point line. We need to get much more physical offensively and defensively!

Let's start seeing more minutes for Lufile and Herron and maybe less for Phipps and the 3 gaurd line up, and start going to the rack!!  Posting up, running that pick and dive getting Lufile and Herron attacking the rim when their defender has to help on Max or McBride. We are a good 3 point shooting team, but instead of hoping we shoot well from 3, lets add some inside play and more free throws and win weather shoot 3's well or not!!

Go Eagles!!

7 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I agree regarding Lacis, but I would change the He at the start of that sentence to WE. As a team we need to get off the 3 point line as much as we are, get in the paint and get to work! I think without KO this year we are too much of a finesse team; almost soft, as we play small often with 5 guys just floating around behind the 3 point line. We need to get much more physical offensively and defensively!

Let's start seeing more minutes for Lufile and Herron and maybe less for Phipps and the 3 gaurd line up, and start going to the rack!!  Posting up, running that pick and dive getting Lufile and Herron attacking the rim when their defender has to help on Max or McBride. We are a good 3 point shooting team, but instead of hoping we shoot well from 3, lets add some inside play and more free throws and win weather shoot 3's well or not!!

Go Eagles!!

I think the guards are doing what's asked of them in drving to the hole and trying to draw contact, thus getting to the line.  But the refs see that over and over again, and are not going to give them the bail-out call every time they go to the well, so to speak.  Phipps has been the biggest offender in that regard, buit seems to be figuring out that he can't just go flying in there hoping for a whistle; he needs to make a ligitimate move, which he's started doing.

What I've been crying for is posting-up the guards on occasion, since the're being defended one-on-one and the big men are out on the perimeter a lot of the time with DJ and Francis. 

Problem is, the opposing guards in the Summit (particulary in the Dakotas) are typically pretty big and strong, so the best bet is still probably trying to out-quick them off the drive, but would it be terrible to post McBride maybe a time or two a half?  Dude's got great moves on the block, and MAYBE IT WILL RESULT IN A FOUL AND @#$%&# FREE THROWS!!

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I think the guards are doing what's asked of them in drving to the hole and trying to draw contact, thus getting to the line.  But the refs see that over and over again, and are not going to give them the bail-out call every time they go to the well, so to speak.  Phipps has been the biggest offender in that regard, buit seems to be figuring out that he can't just go flying in there hoping for a whistle; he needs to make a ligitimate move, which he's started doing.

What I've been crying for is posting-up the guards on occasion, since the're being defended one-on-one and the big men are out on the perimeter a lot of the time with DJ and Francis. 

Problem is, the opposing guards in the Summit (particulary in the Dakotas) are typically pretty big and strong, so the best bet is still probably trying to out-quick them off the drive, but would it be terrible to post McBride maybe a time or two a half?  Dude's got great moves on the block, and MAYBE IT WILL RESULT IN A FOUL AND @#$%&# FREE THROWS!!

We'll just have to agree to disagree, IMHO if we are going to stay with our current primality 3 guard, 3 point shot offense we wont make it past the conference semi's. I agree that McBride is good in the lane, he and Max are our best off the dribble options along with Kareem. But, if we want to go farther we have to be bigger and more physical. It will help us on offense, but it will also make us better defensively in the lane and improve our rebounding!  

We're in a close game at the half to a 3-17 Summit league team! Let's build on our strengths and improve where we can!

Go Eagles!!

• Upvote 1

Eli is the best dunker we have had in a while. He is exciting to watch. Trying to think of the last guy to dunk so consistently and with such force. Kevin Ford?

Blowout time....Good Guys finally woke up.....Time to rest Max for Saturday afternoon...👍

Geez....how about a little defense???😬

8 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Blowout time....Good Guys finally woke up.....Time to rest Max for Saturday afternoon...👍

Not so fast. Benchwarmers doing their best to make Eagleman thankful he didn't bet on this one. 

Putting 4 guys on the floor who are ice cold with 6 minutes left is not a recipe for success. 

That was a like an old shootout game from the 90s: UNLV and Arkansas style!  ORU puts up 100 again on Omaha and 58 in the second half.  Exciting to watch! Even Carlos was hitting some threes.  It was a good mixture of the outside and inside game.

3 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Not so fast. Benchwarmers doing their best to make Eagleman thankful he didn't bet on this one. 

I wouldn't say the bench played that poorly, Lufile was fantastic, McBride played really well. But, for some reason coach allows Phipps to come down on 3 possessions and go turnover on a horrible pass to Lufile that wasn't there, next possession he misses a 3 on no passes, then shoots an airball. Who else does coach allow  to do that??? he pulls guys that helped him make the sweet 16 for much, much less!!!

We saw a glimpse of what our rotation should look like, with our starters and McBride, Lufile and Herron off the bench!!! 

Go Eagles!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I wouldn't say the bench played that poorly, Lufile was fantastic, McBride played really well.

Was referring to the few minutes when Sir Isaac, Clover, Bergens were on the floor and the starters were presumably done for the night. Those guys allowed about a 10 point run and coach had to sub back in the starters. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

But, for some reason coach allows Phipps to come down on 3 possessions and go turnover on a horrible pass to Lufile that wasn't there, next possession he misses a 3 on no passes, then shoots an airball. Who else does coach allow  to do that??? he pulls guys that helped him make the sweet 16 for much, much less!!

🤦‍♂️ 

Weaver had his first double/double of his career: 13 and 10 rebounds.  Not bad for a small forward.  Lufile took over in the second half and ORU finally posted up him.  McBride had his six straight double figure scoring output.  It may not be pretty, but I will take the Eagles in a track meet game any night.