ORU at UMKC

ORUTerry

Very enjoyable game in KC, and a physical,  intense battle.   ORU is tough, and was really hot with their 3’s.  The Roos missed several shots at the bucket that could have made the game closer, but ORU deserved this win.   It was just a fun game to watch.  Good luck to ORU the rest of the year.  Hoping KC can compete well in the tournament!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

UMKC and ORU have always had some tough battles thru the years....TheEagleman is glad to see the Kangaroos back in the Summit League....who can forget the night they beat us at Mabee Center a few years back and the star player from UMKC who lit us up for about 40 that night stomped on our Logo.....so tonight is a little payback......GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

• Like 1

I remember their big guy down low we used to call Cheeseburger 🍔! He was a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

UMKC and ORU have always had some tough battles thru the years....TheEagleman is glad to see the Kangaroos back in the Summit League....who can forget the night they beat us at Mabee Center a few years back and the star player from UMKC who lit us up for about 40 that night stomped on our Logo.....

I believe that guy (Michael Watson) was the color guy on the UMKC broadcast (which was very well done by the way). They were great to listen to. They mentioned several old ORU players like Caleb and Ken. 

That team is a defensive monster. We were lucky to get away with a win tonight, but I don't want to see them in the tourney. That's the type of team that could win on any night against anyone. They might not end up with a great record, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a win or two (or three) from them in March.  

KC did a nice job of shutting down the pick and dive with Max and Lufile.  Now that teams have seen that, they will be looking to stop it.  One of the Roos even took a charge on Lufile.  Props to him, he may need a massage or hot bath tonight!

Trey is just fearless!  When he shoots it just feels like he is going to make it.  So much confidence and good attitude from the young man.  KC's announcers were even surprised about how good he played tonight.

33 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

I remember their big guy down low we used to call Cheeseburger 🍔! He was a force to be reckoned with.

If memory serves, I think his name was Carlton Aaron or something like that. The “Mabee Maniacs” would chant “BURGER KING!! BURGER KING!!” when he shot free throws or subbed out. 

Yes it was “Burger King” Carlton Aaron and he was a load.  Michael Watson did a nice job of color commentating and they recalled his 54 point game at the Mabee Center.

Michael said he believes the Mabee Center has the best rims in all of college basketball.  He also mentioned that the basketball floor felt “springy” or something about springs under the basketball floor at the Mabee Center.

I believe the ORU fan support made a big difference in the game.

I'm glad some of you mentioned the announcers. Ther were really good. They appreciated the play of both teams and were really into the game. 

In the past, this is a game we would have typically lost. Against a very physical, quick, determined team like KC we would have wilted in the second half. But not this bunch. Coach has the guys playing really tough and they play with intensity, stay with the game plan and they have tons of confidence. This team of Eagles is different than those teams and seem to be getting better every week.

• Upvote 1

It is really nice to see ORU basketball going to the next level. Like Dave said past teams would have wilted under the 2nd half pressure.  Kudos to Coach Mills, his staff and players for what they are doing and the success they are having. Let's keep it rolling!

8 hours ago, ORUJason said:

I believe the ORU fan support made a big difference in the game.

It's got to be encouraging to the guys (both players and coaches) that they have that level of fan support and interest. Not many low-majors would be able to get such a strong group of fans to a game 4 hours from home. 

Last night was a great win. Celebrate all wins. But we beat those guys without their star forward (Allick) and needed some really hot shooting to do it. I think someone mentioned in another thread the word "parity". SDSU might run the table, but after them it's going to be a dogfight between us, UMKC, Western, NDSU. Thankfully we've managed to squeak out road wins against two of those already. 

Our guys better be ready to play when UMKC visits the Mabee February 12. 

27 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

It's got to be encouraging to the guys (both players and coaches) that they have that level of fan support and interest. Not many low-majors would be able to get such a strong group of fans to a game 4 hours from home. 

What's great is that last night's game wasn't the first time we've had a strong group of fans at a road game.  We had good representation at TCU and Houston Baptist.  When I was a student, I believe we had students from all 50 states.  So especially when we are in the midwest and the southwest there should always be a vocal group of us at the games.  I hope to see this trend continue and to be a part of it as much as I can be.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dave said:

I'm glad some of you mentioned the announcers. Ther were really good. They appreciated the play of both teams and were really into the game.

Agreed. I’m curious who the play-by-play man was; he mentioned that he drove up from Tulsa for the broadcast, and he was very familiar with the history of the rivalry and ORU’s tradition. His recollection that Caleb Green made a living at the free throw line hints that he was not only in the building at the time; he may have been in the floor  

A treat also to hear former Roos star Michael Watson doing the color work; he’s come a long way from the braided firebrand who torched ORU for 54 points to set the individual scoring record for ORU opponents in the Mabee Center. He has very fond memories of the legendarily soft rims in the Mabee, and he is correct:  ORU does have a cutting-edge-for-its-time spring suspension system underneath the hardwood floor. 

54 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Agreed. I’m curious who the play-by-play man was; he mentioned that he drove up from Tulsa for the broadcast, and he was very familiar with the history of the rivalry and ORU’s tradition.

Neil Harwell

11 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Nice find, ORUalum!  Nothing jumps out from his bio, but I’m guessing his affiliation with Metro Sports, UMKC’s broadcast partner in the late ‘90’s and early 2000’s explains his familiarity with the rivalry during that time. 

31 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Nice find, ORUalum!  Nothing jumps out from his bio, but I’m guessing his affiliation with Metro Sports, UMKC’s broadcast partner in the late ‘90’s and early 2000’s explains his familiarity with the rivalry during that time. 

great last name for a sportscaster. i even googled to see if there was any connection to Ernie, but it does not look like it.

3 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

SDSU might run the table, but after them it's going to be a dogfight between us, UMKC, Western, NDSU. Thankfully we've managed to squeak out road wins against two of those already. 

This upcoming home stand against UND and NDSU are going to be pretty big.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

This upcoming home stand against UND and NDSU are going to be pretty big.

The UND game should be a nice warm up for the contest against NDSU. SDSU plays at St. Thomas and Western Illinois - which should be interesting. 

ORU will be in first place a week from today...😎