ORU at UMKC

ORUTerry

ORU travels to Kansas City this Saturday to play UMKC. The Roos are 7-6 this season and 2-1 in conference play. They lost to SDSU on the road, won at South Dakota and beat Omaha at home. They did not play any games between December 22 (South Dakota) and January 10 (Omaha). Here are their season (conference) stats:

PPG:    68.5    (63.0)

FG%:   45.9%     (38.5%)

3pt%:  35.7%    (22.3%)

3pt attempts:  20.8   (22.3)

Reb Margin:   -1.0     (-9.3)

Assists:    12.9      (9.7)

Turnovers:   12.1    (10.3)

Major players/contributors - conference stats:

Gilvard (5'10" - Sr) 

PPG:    16.3

FG%:   47.1%

3pt%:  38.9%   (6.0 attempts pg)

Reb:    1.0

Assists:   3.3

Turnovers:   2.3

----------------------------------------------------

Nesbitt  (6'4" Sr.)

PPG:    10.7

FG%:   43.8%

3pt%:  11.1%   (3.0 attempts pg)

Reb:    6.0

Assists:   0.3

Turnovers:   1.7

-------------------------------------------------

Lamar   (6'5"   Sr)

PPG:    14.0

FG%:   38.9%

3pt%:  35.7%   (4.7 attempts pg)

Reb:    4.7

Assists:   0.3

Turnovers:   1.3

------------------------------------------------------

Allick  (6'8"   Jr)  was out for the first 2 conference games  (injury?)

PPG:    0  (1 attempt)  - 11.7 non conference at 54.3%

Reb:    3.0

Assists:  3.0

Turnovers:  2.0

TheEagleman will need to watch some tape but this game should be a walk in the park for ORU......a double digit victory.......😎

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman will need to watch some tape but this game should be a walk in the park for ORU......a double digit victory.......😎

college gameday sport GIF

I watched UMKC Monday night against Omaha.  They are surprisingly athletic, just not great shooters.  Kind of a poor man's Tulsa.  They really play hard and want to turn you over and get down the floor in transition. 

Their little waterbug guard Gilvard, who I'm sure they will put on Max, is so wild he may foul out in the first half.  He's just as quick as Issac McBride, and he's a senior.

Lamar, a transfer from that famed UMBC team that upset Virginia in the tournament as a #16 seed, is a strong inside/out wing (similar to Horne at Tulsa) who loves shooting mid-range jumpers or going strong to the hole.  He scored 20 on Omaha in place of their best returning player Allick, who I think has been out with a back injury.

By no means a cakewalk; in fact their broadcast crew was talking about how, if everything falls in place for them this week and next, they could be standing alone in second place.

KC leads the conference in scoring defense, so they want a game in the 60s.  They are usually a very tough team to beat and make every possession very difficult on offense.  I would expect it to be a very hard-fought game that comes down to the final minutes.  ORU is playing better every game and it would be great to get a win and finish 4-1 on this early conference season five game road trip. Go Eagles 68-65!

ESPN predicts the Roos will win by two. Great opportunity to get another gutsy win.

1 minute ago, vcboy2000 said:

ESPN predicts the Roos will win by two. Great opportunity to get another gutsy win.

Ken Pomeroy has the Golden Eagles in a squeaker, 73-71.

Squeaker?....nah....if this is an Even game then TheEagleman will jump all over ORU....😎

My prediction is the way we are playing we will win handily. ORU 76-UMKC 65. Max and Eli will have big games!

My concern is that Mills said on his radio show that they were dealing with COVID issues. If we're down a few key guys, we could be in a real tight spot. 

ESPN's Power Index has updated giving ORU the advantage:

Screenshot_20220113-091026_Chrome.jpg

Covid issues?....well that changes things.....TheEagleman will need more info.......😬:shield-logo:😮

Good point Eagle Maniac about covid. That is definitely the X factor. Hopefully our key guys are healthy. 

I noticed that Jurgens did not play in the last game at the Mabee Center, and we were speculating if he possibly had COVID.  Quite frankly, I don't want him to be sick at all, but I was kind of glad he did not play.  At the very least, he should be removed from the starting 5 in my opinion.  We barely beat Western Illinois on the road, and we will be fortunate if we beat KC.

17 minutes ago, Dr. BB said:

I noticed that Jurgens did not play in the last game at the Mabee Center, and we were speculating if he possibly had COVID.  Quite frankly, I don't want him to be sick at all, but I was kind of glad he did not play.  At the very least, he should be removed from the starting 5 in my opinion.  We barely beat Western Illinois on the road, and we will be fortunate if we beat KC.

What a sad post!  LOL

But of course, I can't resist taking the troll bait:  Carlos starts because of his defense; he's one of the main reasons ORU is so much better at guarding the perimeter since he became a starter midway through last season.  Any offense from him is gravy. 

If your REALLY want to see guys who were all "D" and no "O" but still were justified in starting, I would suggest former ORU stalwarts Yemi Ogunoye, Kelvin Sango, and Shawn King, just to name a handful.  None of them scored much; all were vital cogs for their respective teams.  Every successful team needs a defensive stopper in the starting line-up!

And, ANY win is a good win on the road against upper-division teams!  Western will likely win their fair share of home games this season, as will UMKC.  A 1-point escape in Kansas City should be celebrated just as much as a 20-point laugher.  CELEBRATE ALL VICTORIES (especially on the road).

• Like 1

I agree!  If we win by just 1 point against KC Saturday, this should definitely be celebrated.  I am sure that Carlos is a good defender.  I just don't remember him missing so many shots and making so many turnovers as he is currently doing.  I just find myself getting more frustrated watching him each week.  I just need to chill out more.  LOL

3 minutes ago, Dr. BB said:

I agree!  If we win by just 1 point against KC Saturday, this should definitely be celebrated.  I am sure that Carlos is a good defender.  I just don't remember him missing so many shots and making so many turnovers as he is currently doing.  I just find myself getting more frustrated watching him each week.  I just need to chill out more.  LOL

This is a new perspective that I don't think we've discussed here. For all the complaints about different players, I don't think we've gotten to Carlos yet. Statistically, it looks like you are right. His FG% is down from .408 last season to .362 this year. And worse, his 3p% is down from .333 last year to a .151. Yikes. He's also averaging about .28 more turnovers per game this year while creating .29 fewer takeaways. 

Personally, I like Carlos a lot and would disagree with you. I would much rather see him on the court than Phipps or McBride. His defensive prowess earns him minutes, though I wasn't aware just how bad his 3 point shooting has gotten. Hopefully that turns around. 

No doubt that additional scoring is needed from Lacis, Thompson and Jurgens.  Saturday in McComb, the trio combined for two more points than a dead man.

The upside is that ORU has won four straight during the same span; think of the possibilities when they get back to the comfy confines of the Mabee Center! 

Just have to find a way to get past the Roos on Sturday.