ORU at Western Illinois

ORUTerry

Huge 87-86 road victory for ORU and TheEagleman who had WIU +2 and Over....a win is a win....BIG 32 pt day for Max and 70 total in 45 hrs....Eli amazing....I think we will be seeing a lot more Lufile from now on with this 8-8 18 pt effort. 👍... OH Canada.....😎

Gutsy win for ORU!  It has been a while since they came back from 15 down to win on the road.  Hopefully this really brings their confidence to a new level.  Max with a career high 11 assists and it will never get old seeing him throw those lobs to Lufile.  Lufile is a big strong guy, but he can really jump out of the gym, too!

3 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Max with a career high 11 assists and it will never get old seeing him throw those lobs to Lufile.  Lufile is a big strong guy, but he can really jump out of the gym, too!

Who is brave enough to get between Lufile and the basket?

Both teams shot 9/26 from three. They shot 25/30 from the free throw line while we made 14/18. They outrebounded us 43 to 35. The difference was 2-pt field goals - we shot 23 of 40 and they shot  17 of 38.  Lufile’s 8 of 8 shooting made the difference 

WIU has a ton of size and can score the ball at an effective rate, but their defense is still struggling.  They continue to give up a lot of points, but if their defense improves then they will be a tough team to beat in March at the Summit League tourney. Somewhat like ORU was last year (minus the beef inside).

28 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Both teams shot 9/26 from three. They shot 25/30 from the free throw line while we made 14/18. They outrebounded us 43 to 35. The difference was 2-pt field goals - we shot 23 of 40 and they shot  17 of 38.  Lufile’s 8 of 8 shooting made the difference 

Not take anything away from the big fella but Max’s great passes to Eli also contributed. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

OT it is possible to be right and gracious at the same time 🙂

Lol - being so rarely either, I really wouldn’t know! 🤣

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Lol - being so rarely either, I really wouldn’t know! 🤣

I feel your pain brother. 😂

Really good win for the Eagles today! Great to see Eli really stepping up. He is a big difference maker inside for us. It seems like Sir Isaac is continuing to develop and is getting more minutes.  The future is looking bright for ORU basketball!

Still can’t figure out how ORU won this game:  on the road; terrible travel turnaround from Thursday night; dangerous opponent who is a difficult match-up physically; and Lacis, Thompson and Jurgens combine for just two points.

Not to mention that, after having three officials Thursday night ranked in KenPom’s top 150, suffering today through three regional no-names , including one guy who was already calling his fourth game at Western Illinois this young season, having never seen ORU before.  Probably the one who called the phantom fifth foul on Elijah. 

Thsts one of those wins where you jump on the bus as quick as possible and just get the heck out of town before they change something. 

• Like 1

Saturday refs in the Summit are always an adventure.  IMHO, they weren't biased, they were just BAD, which isn't the worst thing to happen when you are on the road.

The mark of a good team is winning games you probably shouldn't. Dare we say these Golden Eagles are a good team?

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Not take anything away from the big fella but Max’s great passes to Eli also contributed. 

It doesn't get any better then a one point conference road win!!!

Great adjustment by the coaches to run that pick and dive with Lufilie on the wing as a different look along with the pick and pop they run up top usually with Weaver. It is basically a 2 man game on the wing with Max so they double him off the pick and Eli dives to the basket, which limits the amount of help the defense can give- plus what help side player is going to step in front of Eli when he attacking the rim with a full head of steam... you will get dunked on and probably hospitalized!!!

Love the expansion of offense sets and weapons!

Go Eagles!!!

• Upvote 1

Does Lufile remind anyone of a Zion Williamson Jr.? Not saying he is an NBA all-star, but both are built like a rock and have surprisingly athletic ability (leaping ability).  Just a thought.

One thing I love about Eli is his motor. 

The guy sprints down the floor, he crouches and moves his feet when guarding a switch on the perimeter, he dives on the floor for loose balls.

He stands in stark contrast to a current frontcourt starter who I can NEVER recall diving on the floor for a loose ball.

It's all about how some organisms react to (the proverbial) bright lights:  some recoil; some even wither; but some bloom.

22 hours ago, Old Titan said:

One thing I love about Eli is his motor. 

He stands in stark contrast to a current frontcourt starter who I can NEVER recall diving on the floor for a loose ball.

Is this starter a golden eagle or starting somewhere else?

1 hour ago, Ting said:

Is this starter a golden eagle or starting somewhere else?

I'm talking about DJ, bless his heart. 

Crazy athletic, but I don't recall the word "hustle" ever being used to describe his game. 

He's what I call a "glider", plays at a lot of different speeds, but none of them are what you might call "overdrive".

• Haha 1