ORU vs. St. Thomas

ORUTerry

38 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

It seemed like our defensive game plan was to defend every three point attempt at the expense of opening up some easier (although still contested) shots in the paint.  It worked, as the Tommies never really caught fire from beyond the arc until the very end.  UST shifted their approach in the second half to having the shooter attempt the three from right behind the screen, very similar to what Denver did (successfully) in the second half last week.  The coaching staff will need to work on defending this before we meet up with DU and UST for the second time.  Actually, sooner than that, as I’m sure other Summit teams will play copy-cat until the Eagles figure out a way to stop it. 

Yep; prevent the threes and hope our post players do at least a decent job defending the paint one-on-one. Thought Lufile did a lot better job in that role than Weaver.  D.J. made their skinny post Bjorkland look like an all-conference player; he just really struggles playing post defense.

Seemed like a sloppy performance to me on offense. The defense and rebounding made the difference - think we would ever say THAT about a Paul Mills team, even as recently as a year ago?  LOL

• Haha 1

No offense to St. Thomas but they look like a team from the 60s.  When their threes are not falling then the Tommies are beatable.  They hit 14-30 against Western and won by 23.  ORU really pounded the glass and had a 19-rebound advantage over the Tommies.  ORU matched up well with St. Thomas but other Summit League teams may struggle because of their slower big guys.  Good win ORU, always nice to pick up some road wins.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:10 AM, ORU40 said:

Tonight's game will be interesting from a coaching stand point, do we just get into a 3 point shooting contest? that's a 50-50 preposition at best on the road. Do we play our best perimeter defenders- Carlos and Kareem or our "better shooters" who may not be our best defenders? Do we go big and try to pound the ball inside against a smaller team? the bigs may have trouble defending the smaller team.

When you play a team that runs its stuff well you have to be disciplined on defense, cant overplay passing lanes or you'll get back doored, going for the steal will often times result in a lay up or open shot against you. You have to keep your man and the ball in front of you and play a lot of team D with good communication on the picks and consistent weak side help!    

We'll have to play smart tonight, I think it's a game where we'll need to rely on our veterans like Kareem, Carlos, Lacis and Weaver along with Max for the most part!

Go Eagles!!

Or they just let Max score half the points and play every minute of the game. 🙂  They are going to have to find Max a couple of minutes of rest each half. Just don't think he needs be playing 40 minutes a game. Especially in a blow out type of game. 

What i find strange is Weaver, Jurgens and Thompson didn't even play half the game. That is 3 of your best players. Seems Mills has a very quick hook with them. Not sure what is going on there. 

• Like 1

I’m assuming that Max didn’t want to come out. I think he played less than 30 minutes against Omaha. 

33 minutes ago, darrenj said:

They are going to have to find Max a couple of minutes of rest each half. Just don't think he needs be playing 40 minutes a game. Especially in a blow out type of game. 

What i find strange is Weaver, Jurgens and Thompson didn't even play half the game. That is 3 of your best players. Seems Mills has a very quick hook with them. Not sure what is going on there. 

100% agree with both of these statements. Obviously Max is in great shape. He CAN run all day without showing a decrease in game performance. Doesn't mean he SHOULD. We never quite got out of striking distance from St. Thomas, but it would not have hurt us to rest him a few minutes each half. 

It seems like every single game I am trying to figure out why Kareem, Jurgens, or DJ got benched. Kareem only played 11 minutes last night? Weird substitution patterns for sure. 

Well then all those guys should be rested for tomorrow afternoon at WIU.....we will need it because 2 road games in under 45 hours not easy and the Leathernecks seem decent this year....they also haven't played for at least a week and will be ready to take on ORU.....Good Guys will need more than Max to win in Macomb......:wiu:

2 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

100% agree with both of these statements. Obviously Max is in great shape. He CAN run all day without showing a decrease in game performance. Doesn't mean he SHOULD. We never quite got out of striking distance from St. Thomas, but it would not have hurt us to rest him a few minutes each half. 

It seems like every single game I am trying to figure out why Kareem, Jurgens, or DJ got benched. Kareem only played 11 minutes last night? Weird substitution patterns for sure. 

Kareem played something like one or two minutes of the second half, picked up a foul, then did not return until garbage time with a minute or so to go.

I can understand sitting Weaver, who was getting schooled on defense in the post, for Lufile and Herron, who were much more active with their feet.

Worth noting that, once again, Phipps gets to stay in the game despite several questionable decisions & plays on both ends of the floor.  Does seem to have a hall pass, regardless of mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Max got plenty of rest at the free throw line in the last 2 1/2 minutes of clock time. In his chase to repeat as the country's leading scorer, there's no reason for him to give up those free points.

20 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Worth noting that, once again, Phipps gets to stay in the game despite several questionable decisions & plays on both ends of the floor.  Does seem to have a hall pass, regardless of mistakes.

I was thinking the same thing, though I didn't want to say it. I cringe every time I see him penetrate - low chance of productive decision making and high chance of TO. 

28 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Indeed. He had back-to-back bad turnovers with a little over 8 minutes left in the first half, and I was really expecting a hook there. Although I'm not sure whether he came back in after the under-8 timeout.

Edit: I stand corrected. The St. Thomas site has a play-by-play with substitutions (ESPN's just has plays), and he did indeed get pulled right after the second back-to-back turnover at 8:06. Good for Mills! https://tommiesports.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=6164

• Upvote 1

Phipps must have photos on Mills....or his dad does......he's the only one besides Max not getting the quick hook.....🙄

8 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

I cringe every time I see him penetrate - low chance of productive decision making and high chance of TO. 

I too often cringe when Phipps penetrates, but it's usually because his drive ends to draw Max's man off him, leaving Max alone at the 3pt line, and Phipps never seems to notice and dish it.

The move that always puts me on edge is the head down, one-hand, patty-cake dribble through traffic at the free throw line.  

I keep waiting for someone like Douglas Wilson at SDSU to come roaring up from the paint to snag the ball and go coast-to-coast with it for a dunk.

But, to his credit, it hasn't happened yet!

31 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

I too often cringe when Phipps penetrates, but it's usually because his drive ends to draw Max's man off him, leaving Max alone at the 3pt line, and Phipps never seems to notice and dish it.

This is key. I think once he realizes that he is not a penetrate to the rim kind of guy, he can be really really good. Penetrate to draw defenders and then dish. He's just trying to do too much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

This is key. I think once he realizes that he is not a penetrate to the rim kind of guy, he can be really really good. Penetrate to draw defenders and then dish. He's just trying to do too much. 

I wil say this as well:  he surprisingly draws a lot of fouls with that drive down the right side, and he does a great job of selling any contact.

He threw a pretty hefty left elbow into the ribs of a defender from Omaha last week on his way to the basket, and somehow earned a trip to the line for himself. 

He's the kind of player other teams are going to simply love to hate. 🤣

I actually like Trey's game a lot more than I did at the beginning of the season.

It does seem like he needs that paint pick (sometimes a double) to run that curl to the basket.

I don't have a problem with him driving (I am in favor of McBride, Jurgens, and Kareem ALL driving more often) and with his court vision the outlet passes should improve.