ORU vs. St. Thomas

ORUTerry

ORU travels up to frigid Minneapolis to  play St. Thomas on Thursday. The Tommies are a perennial D-3 powerhouse in the first year of division 1 competition. Their record so far is 8-7; 2-1 in conference play. They are not eligible for post season play until 2025. Their squad is full of seniors and they play a style (lots of 3 pointers) very similar to ORU. Evidently they use a 'Princeton' offense, so we should expect lots of motion and back cuts. Season stats show that they average 34.5 three pointers per game (2nd in the nation) and make 13.9 per game (1st) while shooting 40.4% (7th). Better guard that perimeter. They are experienced - but do not have a lot of height.

This could be a wild one. ORU has improved at guarding the perimeter, but this is going to be a true test. I’m expecting some serious experimentation in the first half, trying to decide between going big or going small. Sir Issac Herron may play a key role; he can pose a threat down low on offense and hold his own out in space on defense. 

Can see no reason why this won’t be a high-scoring affair, something in the 90-85 realm. 

• Like 1

Sorry but this is still basically a D-II /D-III squad that we are playing....agree that St. Thomas is better than most at that level and at home they will be competitive and motivated to beat a Sweet 16/ORU team....if we lose then shame on us for not being prepared....TheEagleman wouldn't be surprised if the Good Guys struggle in the first half playing a "Princeton offense" which is difficult to defend....but the Tommies also have to defend us and ORU can move the ball up and down the floor....a high scoring game should be expected....I have never seen these guys play but if they are small then we need to dominate inside and use our speed and athleticism......my prediction will come tomorrow once i see the line but expecting ORU to be at least a 10 point favorite and we should beat the Tommies by double digits......:tb-white:

Here it is the spiritual battle of the century: the Catholics vs the Charismatics 😇!  Watched St. Thomas on Saturday and three things stood out about them: they are very fundamentally sound, shoot the ball well, and are scrappy on defense.  Kind of remind me of a team of Mark Price's (remember him from Enid, OK and Cleveland Cavs days).  The Tommies average 15 assists to 7.6 turnovers per game!  That may lead the nation but must be in the top five of assist to turnover margin in the country.

One thing that St. Thomas does well is throw the big knockout punch in the first half.  In Summit League games they average leading by 18 points at half.  That may be because their style is so different that it takes a half to figure them out.  ORU will need to get off to a good start and not have to play catch up all second half.

KenPom has it 80-77, ORU.

Jeff Sagarin’s power index has ORU by 7.5 points

I seriously doubt the spread will be double-digits…

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Sorry but this is still basically a D-II /D-III squad that we are playing....

Shooting the three at a high rate is the great equalizer. St. Thomas can be a dangerous team if they are hitting.

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Here it is the spiritual battle of the century: the Catholics vs the Charismatics 😇

So, it's a battle of shoddy theology. 

• Haha 1

ORU #108 ESPN/BPI....St. Thomas/MN is #266....haven't really played anyone of note unless you count WIU which i agree is their most impressive win.....TheEagleman isn't saying that the Tommies might not give us fits initially....but Coach Mills and the guys have seen the Western Illinois score and will have had 5 days to prepare....no excuse losing to a Team like this who is a few months out of D-3 albeit one of the top programs at that level....yeah, they got kicked out of their league because they were too good.....I will take any road win and surely they will have a raucous crowd of crazed Catholics ready for ORU tomorrow night....I am thinking the home team will hang around for 25-30 minutes but ORU needs to flex its' muscles and put the Tommies away at the end......GO BLUE!! :tb-blue:

come to think of it....ORU did lose at Central Arkansas......😬

Looks like we can watch the game for free on the Tommies Sports Network.  St. Thomas has been very competitive all season except for the game against Seattle.  In that game they were outrebounded by 26 and lost by 17. ORU has been strong on the glass this year and needs to win the rebound battle by at least 10 tomorrow night to pull out the win.

SOS is a huge difference here...ORU used to playing better teams......Colorado State is 11-0 and ranked #20......and we should have beaten OSU who gave #6 Kansas a decent game last night......but agree St. Thomas will be scrappy....ORU will have to play and prepare well to win...in Mills We Trust!!!!.......:hc_mills:

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU will need to get off to a good start and not have to play catch up all second half.

Which hasn’t been our strength this year. 

Otis, my man!....ORU only -5.5 which really worries me.....honestly thought Good Guys would be closer to 10 point favorites.....O/U is 158.......TheEagleman isnt going to change what I have been saying...this should be a solid win and I like ORU and the Over......ORU 89   St. Thomas 78.  GO BLUE!!!!......:circle-logoi: