Arkansas V ORU

ORU-sisko

okay, maybe this was already posted, but i've been out of town with no pc access, and now im at work. Anybody know where to get non-audio LIVE stats?

two outs away....what a great game....i started listening in the seventh and have been on the edge of my seat for every pitch...

wow...now let's get ready for OSU and what should be a pretty empty stadium tomorrow night in the winners bracket game...

Good guys win..... this is a big win for ORU. Now we play the Pokes. I think we can win this Regional.

Why did Arkansas plunk Duffy twice?

Nice gametracker...still hasn't posted Ark. last inning...

Camera showed Bogus, ttowncount, I think MrsSmith, and a bunch of other ORU fans. I felt a little bad for not trying to go myself.

A great win - ORU looked really strong in the final three innings. And how about Sean Jarrett? Arkansas had felt the sting of his pitching twice this year.

Terry, there were obviously words between Duffy and the Arkansas catcher, but it was hard to tell what the problem was. The second time he was hit the announcers on the TV said that it was obvious the pitcher wasn't trying to hit him, but I don't know how it could have looked MORE like he was trying to hit him - and they only played the replay once. Maybe it had something to do with the game in Tulsa.

Joel and I both commented on how the pitch was an obvious attempt to hit Duffy. The pitcher's body language gave him away. How the announcers could say it was anything else is beyond me. Was not very smart baseball. Not sure what was wrong with the catcher either. He seemed to have attitude throughout the game. Not a smart way to play.... unfocused.

The game tonight was a classic college baseball game by two very good area baseball teams. We are very fortunate to have quality college baseball programs like Wichita State, OU, OSU, ORU, Missouri State and Arkansas all within a three hour radius of Tulsa.

If you were able to watch the entire game, you were on the edge of your seat for most of the game. Neither team was able to get a comfortable lead, but ORU was never pushed around and did leave a lot of runners and opportunities on base. We are able to play with most teams on most days. If we need to go to a Monday night game, we should have Nick Jones and Chance Chapman available; however, I'm not sure how much we're going to have Sean Jarrett tomorrow for OSU with the number of pitches he had to do tonight.

TMH and Terry noted the pitches that hit Duffy tonight. We couldn't tell what they were saying after the first pitch that hit Brandan, but it was obvious that the catcher was making a point to get in Duffy's face over it and the umpire was protecting Duffy from that. The second pitch was pretty bad as it hit bone and you could hear it all the way into the stands. There should be some serious swelling somewhere tomorrow on that boy's body and hopefully it won't be serious. I don't know what the underlying "game" was that was happening there, but I bet it will carry over to another game if we hook it up in one of the games on Sunday.

So now the question begs to be asked....who is going to be here tomorrow and Sunday to cheer on the Eagles to the Super Regionals??? Mrs. Smith and I hope to see you here. :o

Huge game tonight for the Eagles - and a chance at history! In the nine years of consecutive NCAA invites, ORU has won the first game of a regional three times (including last night), but has never won the first two games of a regional. That could all change this evening in Fayetteville. The Pokes will be out for revenge, but the Eagles KNOW they can win. I truly believe only OSU or ORU can win this regional now. The Hogs don't have the pitching or the confidence to win four straight - even at home - and Princeton is overmatched with this competition.

So, it comes down to tonight - and although it's not a "must-win", I believe that the winner of tonight's game has a 75-80% chance of winning this regional. Too bad that we had to use so much of Jarrett last night - but it was worth it for the WIN!

The stories of the bench clearings in last night's game brought back memories of another ORU-UA match-up. In the early 80's, the teams played home and home doubleheaders, and they were always hotly contested battles. One game at JL Johnson, the benches cleared numerous times, and eventually erupted into a brawl. When it finally settled down and the game resumed, ORU's Mike Batesole rushed the mound after an inside pitch, and the brawl ensued again at an intensified level. Coach Cochell rushed the mound (almost as fast), and although half his size, attempted to restrain Batesole and wrestle him into the dugout. Although that sight was somewhat comical, as a fan, it was an ugly incident. When all was said and done, the coaches met at home plate with the umpires, and the game was officially cancelled. I've never seen that happen before at any baseball game at ANY level.

This series has a history of bad blood - and recent events are no different! I hope that cooler heads will prevail if the Hogs and Eagles meet again this weekend!

ORU 4, Arkansas 3, 11 innings: Eagles slip by Hogs

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

6/3/2006

Minissale hits a single in the 11th to give Oral Roberts a first-round regional victory.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Maybe Oral Roberts had run out of missed opportunities.

Maybe Arkansas had run out of second chances.

Whatever the case, the Golden Eagles escaped a filled-up and hostile Baum Stadium with a 4-3 victory over the Razorbacks in a first-round game at the Fayetteville Regional.

Kelly Minissale's single up the middle with two out in the top of the 11th inning scored Andy Bouchie from second base and gave ORU a one-run lead.

"Everybody had their opportunities with runners in scoring position," said ORU coach Rob Walton. "We certainly had a lot."

Third-seeded ORU (39-14) advances to Saturday's 7 p.m. semifinal game against No. 1 seed Oklahoma State. The second-seeded and 21st-ranked Razorbacks (38-20) fall to a 2 p.m. elimination game against 4-seed Princeton.

It's ORU's 18th regional appearance, but the Golden Eagles had just four first-round regional wins before Friday (including 2002 and 2004), and have advanced out of a regional only once (1978).

A Razorback-heavy crowd of 7,467 lived and died with every pitch, and died a lot with ORU closer Sean Jarrett on the mound for the final five innings. Jarrett (7-1) came in during a bases-loaded, no-out jam, allowed only a sacrifice fly, gave up just two hits with three strikeouts, and retired 12 of the 14 batters he faced.

"I just got some timely hitting and give all the credit to my defense," Jarrett said. "They made a lot of good plays behind me."

"It comes down to making the big play, the big hit," said Arkansas first baseman Danny Hamblin. "We just didn't get the big hit."

Minissale's big hit came off Tulsan Charley Boyce (3-3). After Bouchie reached on a fielding error by second baseman James Ewing, he took second on a groundout by Chad Rothford. Minissale then hit a bouncer up the middle and Bouchie leaped across home plate as his teammates swarmed him.

ORU beat Arkansas a month earlier, as well, a 5-4 victory that ended the Razorbacks' nine-game winning streak at J.L. Johnson Stadium. Arkansas had beaten ORU in four of their last five meetings and nine of their last 12 in Fayetteville. The Golden Eagles were 2-0 in midweek games against Oklahoma State this season.

ORU improved to 4-0 in extra-inning games, while Arkansas dropped to 3-1.

Every Golden Eagle batter had at least one hit. Arkansas starter Nick Schmidt allowed a season-high 10 hits, including a career-high five doubles and a triple.

"I battled as much as I could and the offense stepped up and saved me from recording a loss," Schmidt said.

ORU tied a season-high with 15 stranded baserunners and batted just 3-for-16 (.188) with runners in scoring position before Minissale's hit.

The most damaging missed opportunity for ORU came in the ninth, when Brendan Duffy greeted closer Devin Collis with an infield single, moved up on a sacrifice bunt by Tim Torres and went to third on a passed ball. Jake Kahaulelio walked and took second on a wild pitch (which Brian Walker kept close enough to home plate that Duffy couldn't score). After an intentional walk to Bouchie -- Collis bounced three pitches off Walker's chest -- Rothford struck out and Minissale grounded out.

ORU starter Nick Jones was largely in control before the Razorbacks hit three straight singles in the third inning, the last an RBI line drive to left field to tie it at 1-1.

Jones was cruising again with two out in the fifth inning when Hamblin hit his 17th home run of the season -- and his fifth in his last three games against ORU. Hamblin was hitless in his last 12 at-bats before the homer, but he quickly mastered a 1-1 offering from Jones to tie it at 2-2.

The stories of the bench clearings in last night's game brought back memories of another ORU-UA match-up. In the early 80's, the teams played home and home doubleheaders, and they were always hotly contested battles. One game at JL Johnson, the benches cleared numerous times, and eventually erupted into a brawl. When it finally settled down and the game resumed, ORU's Mike Batesole rushed the mound after an inside pitch, and the brawl ensued again at an intensified level. Coach Cochell rushed the mound (almost as fast), and although half his size, attempted to restrain Batesole and wrestle him into the dugout. Although that sight was somewhat comical, as a fan, it was an ugly incident. When all was said and done, the coaches met at home plate with the umpires, and the game was officially cancelled. I've never seen that happen before at any baseball game at ANY level.

This series has a history of bad blood - and recent events are no different! I hope that cooler heads will prevail if the Hogs and Eagles meet again this weekend!

While we're walking down memory lane, Blue82, I sitting here having strong memories of us -- you and me -- in Stillwater playing in a regional back in the day. In my mind, I'm also remembering a down pour and seeking shelter on someone's front porch who didn't appreciate us being there. Has my memory gone bad, or was it you?

Huge game tonight for the Eagles - and a chance at history! In the nine years of consecutive NCAA invites, ORU has won the first game of a regional three times (including last night), but has never won the first two games of a regional. That could all change this evening in Fayetteville. The Pokes will be out for revenge, but the Eagles KNOW they can win. I truly believe only OSU or ORU can win this regional now. The Hogs don't have the pitching or the confidence to win four straight - even at home - and Princeton is overmatched with this competition.

So, it comes down to tonight - and although it's not a "must-win", I believe that the winner of tonight's game has a 75-80% chance of winning this regional. Too bad that we had to use so much of Jarrett last night - but it was worth it for the WIN!

Awesome post, Blue82. As BogusSmith pointed out, it was truly a classic game last evening. Certainly one for good memories in the future. I, too, hope lots of Eagle fans are making plans at this moment to increase our numbers tonight. As Blue82 says, you may be in for a history-making event. How can you miss that?!?!?

I'll be there. Will you? :roll: