Denver at ORU

theeagleman5

Impressive that ORU held leading scorer KJ Hunt to 8 points...less than half his average....we need more D like that in 2022 to win the Summit League....🏀👍🏀

3 hours ago, vcboy2000 said:

Yes! I love it when the entire arena let's the refs have it. I make sure they hear me!

Both of those "charge" calls were pretty bad. Especially the flop warning that was overruled by the out of position ref 🙄.

Those were good seats @vcboy2000! I'm sure the opposing team could hear you pretty well 😆!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Both of those "charge" calls were pretty bad. Especially the flop warning that was overruled by the out of position ref 🙄.

That was such a weird sequence. Obviously a terrible call by the out of position ref, but I don't think that you can stop play to call a flop warning. I think the guy who made the "flop" motion realized that after he made the motion and couldn't go overrule the guy that was standing at half-court. 

Did anyone see Max get a tech? Was I not paying attention? 

ORU had 2 techs in the box score.....what happened??? 😮

38 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU had 2 techs in the box score.....what happened??? 😮

Max got into it with his "shadow" for the night.

Here's the book so far this season on guarding Max:

1. Assign the most physical guard that you have (regardless of size) that you think can stay up with Max.
  2. Shadow him relentlessly from one end of the floor to the other, on every possession.
  3. Get as physical as possible in every way:  reaching, grabbing, fighting through screens, hip-checking, knocking him down on every drive, etc.
  4. Double-team him off every high screen, taking your chances with the screener being left wide open.

In short, Max is getting beat to death every game, and he's getting sick of it.

I totally understand the tactics that teams are using against Max. The issue I have is that the refs seem to think that anything goes. I am surprised that he doesn’t get better treatment from the officials - given that he is an all American player and we are playing at home. 

58 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I totally understand the tactics that teams are using against Max. The issue I have is that the refs seem to think that anything goes. I am surprised that he doesn’t get better treatment from the officials - given that he is an all American player and we are playing at home. 

He needs to do two things a LOT more:

• Initiate contact and then sell the foul, ala James Hardin.  I'm not talking about flopping, but at least be a little more demonstrative.  He could take some lessons from Phipps in that regard; that dude is a straight-up salesman.
  • More back-door cuts and sideline-to-sideline runs along the baseline, ala Steph Curry.  Sometimes, you just have to run away from all the attention, and get that shadow tangled up in the traffic.

Speaking of backdoor cuts:  Denver burned ORU with those the entire second half.  No backside help at all.  St. Thomas will backdoor us to death with their Princeton-style offense; need to get that shored up before heading to Minneapolis next week.

46 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Max got into it with his "shadow" for the night.

Here's the book so far this season on guarding Max:

1. Assign the most physical guard that you have (regardless of size) that you think can stay up with Max.
  2. Shadow him relentlessly from one end of the floor to the other, on every possession.
  3. Get as physical as possible in every way:  reaching, grabbing, fighting through screens, hip-checking, knocking him down on every drive, etc.
  4. Double-team him off every high screen, taking your chances with the screener being left wide open.

In short, Max is getting beat to death every game, and he's getting sick of it.

This is no surprise, I actually though Max would be getting more of this then he has been. I think Max isn't getting the calls he thinks he should is because is he not forcing the contact, he's more trying to avoid it. Yes, he is getting banged a little bit, but instead of attacking off the high pick or in iso with ball off the dribble, he is just taking a step or two back and shooting the 3, he has great range but not going to draw any fouls like that or shoot as high a percentage.

Coming into the season I thought Max had to improve 2 particular areas of his game to help the team this year and improve his NBA stock. The first was handling the ball and running the offense, which I still think needs to improve as he has had way too many turnovers this year.

The second thing; and we're seeing it a lot this year and we also saw it in the NCAA's last year,  when Max does come off that high pick or attack the basket off the dribble and is going all the way to the basket he simply tries to out quick his defender or the big that switches on the pick. What I would like to him him add is what you see NBA small guards do when then get a defender on their hip or a big behind them is slow down and almost jump back into the defender and force that contact and get to the line more. 

I'm sure its frustrating for him, but it isn't going to change and will more then likely increase as the season progresses. He needs to play his game, not worry about what the refs are calling or not calling and keep attacking, get to the line. Attacking off the dribble and shooting FT's will get him better looks at the 3's as well since those defenders are so overplaying the 3 right now.

Keep attacking Max, don't settle for the 3 quite as often!!

Go Eagles!! 

6 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

This is no surprise, I actually though Max would be getting more of this then he has been. I think Max isn't getting the calls he thinks he should is because is he not forcing the contact, he's more trying to avoid it. Yes, he is getting banged a little bit, but instead of attacking off the high pick or in iso with ball off the dribble, he is just taking a step or two back and shooting the 3, he has great range but not going to draw any fouls like that or shoot as high a percentage.

Coming into the season I thought Max had to improve 2 particular areas of his game to help the team this year and improve his NBA stock. The first was handling the ball and running the offense, which I still think needs to improve as he has had way too many turnovers this year.

The second thing; and we're seeing it a lot this year and we also saw it in the NCAA's last year,  when Max does come off that high pick or attack the basket off the dribble and is going all the way to the basket he simply tries to out quick his defender or the big that switches on the pick. What I would like to him him add is what you see NBA small guards do when then get a defender on their hip or a big behind them is slow down and almost jump back into the defender and force that contact and get to the line more. 

I'm sure its frustrating for him, but it isn't going to change and will more then likely increase as the season progresses. He needs to play his game, not worry about what the refs are calling or not calling and keep attacking, get to the line. Attacking off the dribble and shooting FT's will get him better looks at the 3's as well since those defenders are so overplaying the 3 right now.

Keep attacking Max, don't settle for the 3 quite as often!!

Go Eagles!! 

Agreed.

One thing I think we can all agree on:  Max has GOT to draw more fouls if he's going to have the ball in his hands so much.  He may not get to the line every time, but simply getting the whistle helps those fouls accumulate to where EVERYONE benefits by getting to the bonus sooner.

Souh Dakota State has mastered this:  drawing fouls on offense and rebounding, while not fouling on defense.  ORU is unfortunately the OPPOSITE right now.

The Denver coach kept politicking with the refs throughout the game and many more fouls were called on ORU than Denver.  It was 9 fouls vs 3 fouls at the end of the first half.  Coach Mills could help out Max more in that regard by keeping it in the refs mind throughout the game.

The Denver guys were on my (connecting) flight to Denver today. I had a short chat with the tall white dude (Henn, I think) that was draining 3s to start the second half. Complemented them on their comeback attempt and told them we were pretty nervous for a bit there! He had nice things to say about Max as well. 

On another “chiding the refs” note: none other than Lawrence “Night Train” Lane was sitting behind us giving the bald ref all he wanted. The best one was, “Hey ref! You left your cell phone up here…you’ve got like six missed calls!” 😆

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2