ORU at So. Dakota State

theeagleman5

An ORU victory in Brookings might make this the merriest Christmas ever.....Eagles coming off a big win last night at USD and the Jacks smoked Kansas City last night at home....Can the Good Guys do it????....:circle-logoi:

If we play and shoot like we did last night i think we have a shot. The biggest difference is SD State will be better shooters so if we can make some stops and /or cause turnovers that will be big. Once again not to put pressure on Midcourt Max but he will have to have another huge game. Let's hope they are off and we are on! Go Eagles!

Expect it to be a fast-paced game in the 80s or even higher.  When SDSU struggles it is because they play poorly on defense.  Look for ORU to continue to drive the ball and shoot layups because the Jackrabbits do not have any rim protectors, much like South Dakota.  

SDSU has three different big guys that they can pound the ball into or play bully ball.  Lufile, Herron, and Plet will be needed again to give some defense and rebounding.  That will be the key: defense.  Can ORU keep SDSU around 75-80 to have any chance to win tomorrow night.

Few Summit teams will split the South Dakota road swing this season, let alone sweep it.  Yet ORU has a chance to do just that; hopefully that's motivation enough for an epic performance, which it will take to win in Brookings.

And, even if the good guys get blown out, it's early enough in the season that there shouldn't be much residual by March in Sioux Falls. 

Any way you look at it, playing with house money Wednesday night!

• Upvote 1

ORU +9...0/U 162.5....gonna be a track meet...😎

The line is still in the -9 to -8.5 range as of Wednesday morning.

I'm guessing the Bunnies cover, but I'm not sure about that total of 162.5 points - that's a LOT!

It's by far the largest total on the board for all games across the country Wednesday (only two other games are barely in the 150's).

KenPom has it 86-77 SDSU, which sounds about right, so that total would be spot on.

Here's just hoping for a good game on the road against a quality opponent!

The O/U is high, but both teams want to push the pace and have shown the propensity to shoot early in the possession, so it may turn out to be a full fledged track meet.  

I personally don’t think the Rabbits cover the nine point spread.  With ORU’s ability to shoot the three, the Eagles are able to usually able to recover quickly and keep the game close.  And, I also expect to see ORU drive to the basket more often (similar to the USD game) in the Summit season than what we saw in the non-conference games, which lends more balance in scoring, especially when the threes aren’t falling.  

13 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I also expect to see ORU drive to the basket more often (similar to the USD game) in the Summit season than what we saw in the non-conference games, which lends more balance in scoring, especially when the threes aren’t falling.  

I was a fly on the wall in a chat discussion Tuesday night amongst Jacks fans, where one guy was convinced they needed a starting line-up change just for this game, featuring one of their quicker subs "because he's the only one on the roster who is remotely quick enough to guard Max Abmas".

If that's true, then wait'll they get a load of Issac McBride's bursts to the basket; dude is next-level quick.

looney tunes running GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

The Jacks are a top level offensive squad with multiple players who can score. ORU will need to ratchet up their defensive effort. If memory serves me right, Jurgens shut down Frediel last year at the Mabee Center, holding him to 0-7 shooting in the first half. He didn’t play in the second half or the next game. SDSU doesn’t just rely on the three point shot, but can attack the basket off the dribble or make interior passes to open players. Wilson is a very good player that creates match up problems.

Play defense and make shots…

Tough call tonight.....9 is a lot of points....ORU played really well on Monday at USD but so did SDSU vs. KC.....and this is a huge early season Summit League match up that can have an effect on the final Summit seedings.....we won't see the Jacks again until late February.....and O/U of 162.5 is crazy....but honestly TheEagleman does expect both teams to be in the 80s.....we can win this....but a sweep vs. the South Dakota teams is no easy task.....not sure ORU is THAT good just yet.....I am hopeful but will make a small teaser play on SDSU and the Over......final score is  Jacks 86  ORU 80.....Max will need to go off for close to 40 for the Good Guys to take this one.....and it would be nice to put some coal in those Christmas stockings in Brookings tonight.....Go Blue!!!:tb-white:

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

and O/U of 162.5 is crazy....but honestly TheEagleman does expect both teams to be in the 80s

I think the O/U is probably about right. SDSU and ORU are two of the most potent offenses in college hoops.

I'm optimistic about tonight. I don't have a reason to be, I just am.  ORU wins 74-70 and takes a commanding lead in the Summit League. 

P.S. take the under. 

SDSU never loses at home, 59-2 in the last 61 games.  Who has a better record than that at home?  Not Duke, Not Kentucky, not even Kansas!  ORU will have trouble defending all the Jackrabbit options (inside and outside).  SDSU wins 90-77.

As Keenan says, SDSU is tough at home. Their only 4 losses this season are on the road or at a neutral site:

• @ Alabama:  88 to 104
  • N  Washington:  76 to 87
  • @ Idaho:  84 to 98
  • @ Missouri State:  63 to 75

SDSU season stats:

• FG%:   50.5%  (5th nationally)
  • 3pt%:  44.3%  (1st nationally);  23.4 attempts per game (38% of their shots)
  • Free throw attempts:  20.3 per game
  • Rebound margin:   +4.4
  • Assists:   16.1 per game
  • Turnovers:   12.9 per game

Top players (they all shoot the ball well and have lots of assists):

Freidel  (6'4")

• PPG:   18.0
  • FG%:   44.6%
  • 3pt%:  40.0%   (7.7 attempts per game)
  • Rebs:  2.9
  • Assists:  1.4
  • Turnovers:  2.0

Wilson  (6'7")

• PPG:   14.3
  • FG%:   54.1%
  • Rebs:  5.5
  • Assists:  1.3
  • Turnovers:  2.2

Scheierman  (6'6")

• PPG:   13.1
  • FG%:   47.0%
  • 3pt%:  43.3%   (4.8 attempts per game)
  • Rebs:  8.9
  • Assists:  4.0
  • Turnovers:  2.3

Arians  (6'4")

• PPG:   7.4
  • FG%:   52.9%
  • 3pt%:  52.0%   (1.8 attempts per game)
  • Rebs:  3.1
  • Assists:  2.8
  • Turnovers:  1.4

Appel   (6'8")

• PPG:   7.6
  • FG%:   53.8%
  • Rebs:  3.1
  • Assists:  1.4
  • Turnovers:  1.2

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

SDSU never loses at home, 59-2 in the last 61 games.

Oh, baby, that is some AWESOME bulletin board material!

how i met your mother challenge GIF by hoppip

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

SDSU never loses at home, 59-2 in the last 61 games. 

So you’re saying there’s a chance. 

I have to think that this year, a lot of teams focus on playing us after the success we had in the NCAA tournament last season. In some ways we have become the 'hunted'. This is especially true for Max, given the publicity and accolades he received. Every team's defensive stopper wants a crack at him.