The old enemy Covid

Keenan Henderson

I wonder if at some point there will be discussions of ANOTHER COVID hardship year for players.

Geez....players will soon have eligibility until they are 40 years old.....🙄

If I’m reading this correctly, ORU is the only school in the league who has not yet seen a disruption to their conference schedule, just two seeks into the league slate  

That doesn’t mean they’re the only school with no COVID issues:  the XDSU’s, Western, and St. Thomas have lost games only because their opponents were in protocol, not them. 

Doing everything to keep your own house in order, while hoping your opponent can do the same?  It’s like traversing a minefield…while juggling hand grenades.

My first thought was that this is great news. This solves the problem of a team "opting out" of a game and blaming it on COVID. A cancellation will be much more inconvenient this way and I think lead to a decrease in cancelled games. Which is great. 

While it solves a problem, it also could create problems and could end up being unfair for teams as the season progresses. What if you have a stack up of cancelled games due to OTHER teams and end up playing huge chunks of the season in a condensed period while other teams are getting rest between games? And this doesn't solve the problem of late season (last week or two) cancellations as tournament seeding considerations begin to affect teams desire/willingness to play games. The conference won't have the time necessary to make up the games, so teams won't be punished for skipping those games. 

There is no perfectly fair way to do it.  This is likely the best approach they can implement at this point.  There definitely could be some inequities down the road.

• Upvote 1

Here’s the kind of stuff that drives me nuts:  TU is playing poorly and mired in a losing streak, capped off by a loss Tuesday night at Memphis with their full roster available.  

Today (Wednesday) they announce they will be unable to play in Orlando vs. UCF Saturday night “because of COVID issues within their team”, but at the same time say they still expect to be OK to play at home on Wednesday, Jan. 12th vs. Temple. 

Does that add up??

The Twitter thread goes on to say that the problem is within the St. Thomas program, which presumably puts the Tommies' Saturday game with UND in jeopardy as well.

Meanwhile, any news on Carlos Jurgens?  The last team he played against was St. Thomas... 😬

FYI Carlos was diagnosed with covid after the St Thomas game and has been in quarantine since. Hope fully he will be back soon

With the new rules he only has to quarantine for 5 days instead of 10, so that should mean he would be able for Saturday night versus KC.

17 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

With the new rules he only has to quarantine for 5 days instead of 10, so that should mean he would be able for Saturday night versus KC.

Unless he is genuinely symptomatic.  In that event, he just needs to get well first and foremost. 🙏

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, eagle88 said:

FYI Carlos was diagnosed with covid after the St Thomas game and has been in quarantine since. Hope fully he will be back soon

This raises a whole lot of interesting questions.  If Carlos tested positive soon after the St Thomas game, how in the world was he “quarantined” away from the rest of the team on the “planes, trains, and automobiles” travel itinerary from St. Paul to Macomb (flight to Chicago, bus to Peoria, overnight, bus to Macomb).  Did he complete this version of the trip, or did he return directly to Tulsa (and if so, how - in a quarantined state)?  One would think that other members of the team were exposed to Carlos sometime while he was contagious, so I assume that the frequency and quantity of testing for the team has increased in recent days.  I certainly wouldn’t want to be the assistant coach for basketball operations during the COVID era.  What a logistical nightmare!

Speaking of logistical nightmares, I'm planning a trip to the Mabee Center with ORob2 in late February for the SDSU & USD games, but I'm really nervous about making a 620+ mile trip only to have a game, or perhaps both, cancelled due to the China Virus...These are crazy times. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

This raises a whole lot of interesting questions.  If Carlos tested positive soon after the St Thomas game, how in the world was he “quarantined” away from the rest of the team on the “planes, trains, and automobiles” travel itinerary from St. Paul to Macomb (flight to Chicago, bus to Peoria, overnight, bus to Macomb).  Did he complete this version of the trip, or did he return directly to Tulsa (and if so, how - in a quarantined state)?  One would think that other members of the team were exposed to Carlos sometime while he was contagious, so I assume that the frequency and quantity of testing for the team has increased in recent days.  I certainly wouldn’t want to be the assistant coach for basketball operations during the COVID era.  What a logistical nightmare!

I think they are using bubble wrap and an oxygen tank.