The old enemy Covid

Keenan Henderson

Whether we like it not, Covid seems to be back and causing trouble in college basketball

Eleven games including: Kentucky/ Ohio State and Tulsa/Colorado State were cancelled today.  Are we heading back to last season with limited fans and constant testing?

Check out the CDC website.  They acknowledged months ago that the Covid PCR test does not work and they were doing away with the test  this December.  Seems like the government is trying to condition the populace that they control our lives and dictate what we can and cannot do. There are a lot of people fed up with this totalitarian government overreach and I am one of them. When enough of us say enough they will lose their power. About 6 months ago I found out that ORU was going to require the vaccine for students and staff or else they would have to wear masks this year. I got my friend Dr. Jim Meehan to talk with the higher ups at ORU and he educated them on the truth behind covid and within one week they reversed their policy thus making ORU a much better environment to be in. In my opinion this is not a political party battle it is a battle for our freedom. Stand up and be counted!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Amen, Brother!!!👍

Alright, let's set the politics aside for now and deal with the reality of a situation that, like it or not, isn't going away any time soon, and will no doubt affect the rest of this season.

The Summit League, like many conferences across the country, instituted a "forfeit due to COVID rule" months ago that reads like this:

"In the event a COVID complication or outbreak renders it impossible or inappropriate for a team to participate in a scheduled league contest, the contest is a forfeit for the team unable to participate."

The intent was two-fold:  to encourage teams to get vaccinated, and to avoid any semblance of competitive advantage by using COVID to effectively duck an opponent.

But now, with fully-vaccinated programs all over the country testing positive with the new Omicron variant, rules such as this suddenly seem unusually penal, and there's a groundswell among college basketball observers and media to immediately revoke these penalties in favor of rescheduling and/or cancellations instead.

With the Summit League playing an 18-game, double round-robin schedule, it will be a miracle if this does not become a "thing" in the next few weeks, if not sooner.

Here's hoping the new commissioner is proactive one way or the other on this issue, instead of waiting until a program with positive-tests among its ranks is forced to consider decisions that may not be in the best interest of the players' health.

• Upvote 3

On 12/18/2021 at 11:23 AM, Keenan Henderson said:

Whether we like it not, Covid seems to be back and causing trouble in college basketball

Eleven games including: Kentucky/ Ohio State and Tulsa/Colorado State were cancelled today.  Are we heading back to last season with limited fans and constant testing?

I am sure Tulsa was really upset that game was cancelled tonight!:) Saved them an L. 

17 minutes ago, darrenj said:

I am sure Tulsa was really upset that game was cancelled tonight!:) Saved them an L. 

Their RPI/NET is low enough that even an L would've been beneficial for them, lol.

I guess they're not too concerned with that though - not much chance the selection committee will need to be looking at those numbers.

19 minutes ago, darrenj said:

I thought the same thing, with that cancellation coming almost exactly one year after TU backed out of road games with ORU and Arkansas for the same reason, but as it turns out, Colorado State was the program with the COVID issues this time around, not Tulsa.

As I mentioned on the subject to ORUTerry:  "I hate it when the facts get in the way of my conspiracy theories!!"  🤣

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Alright, let's set the politics aside for now and deal with the reality of a situation...

Good luck. 😂

• Haha 1

Jeff Goodman did part of a show about the whole Covid 19 and how it affects college basketball.  He said that basically each conference will cause a forfeit to be a loss but he did not see how that would work if say a team had to forfeit 3 or 4 games.  How can you give them four losses for four cancelations?  Does not seem fair and of course it could really effect who gets in the NCAA tournament and their seedings. Hope I am wrong but it seems like this could be a real mess coming in 2022.

Matt Norlander reporting that Big XII, Big Ten, ACC and Pac-12 have all rescinded their COVID forfeit rules, UNLESS teams appear to be using it for competitive advantage.

Th ACC is stipulating that teams with at least 7 healthy players and 1 healthy coach must still play their game (so much for contact tracing).

And, the Missouri Valley is "doubling down":  they announced today that their rule re: COVID forfeits is staying in place.

Stay tuned; much like March of 2020, this is a very fluid situation.

Evidence that disease takes no holidays:  college basketball postponements coming in fast & furious Monday morning, on the heels of several college football bowl cancellations:  Duke among a number of ACC schools postponing games for this week, along with other P5 schools including OSU's women's game at Tulsa, all for COVID outbreaks in their programs. 

Health experts within college athletics predicted this holiday outbreak, as athletes traveled back home for the break and were exposed to high-risk friends, family members, and social gatherings.

Long way to go for the Summit League until Thursday night...wonder when (if?) the league has mandatory testing?

Tuesday 12/28 update:

• South Dakota had only 4 players at practice on Monday due to COVID protocols.  Their games with NDSU and UND for Thursday & Saturday have not been cancelled...yet.
  • The Summit League is reportedly holding some sort of vote (coaches? AD's? presidents?) this week re: a revocation of the "can't play, must forfeit" COVID rule. 

Amazing that an illness with a 99.6 % recovery rate among 50 and younger and a 95.6 recovery rate for people over 50 has such power over our society.  During  previous years the flu has had the exact same mortality rate and we didn't stop or shutdown anything! For people who think this Pandemic is real I have a quote from Mark Twain " it is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled"! I believed this "pandemic" was real for the first 2 weeks and then I quickly realized there was something rotten in Denmark! For any doubters consider this- if this "pandemic" was really a pandemic the mortality rates would be FAR greater than it is and many homeless people would be dropping like flies as most of them don't wear masks and statistics show there is not a pandemic type death rate amongst the homeless! As for me and my house we do not acknowledge what the mainstream media is telling us. We choose to eat clean and take lots of vitamin C, D , zinc, Ivermectin and hydroxychloriquin when needed. I have studied health and nutrition for many years and am happy to help any of you that have questions. 

• Like 4

OK, second try:  this thread is likely best served by limiting discussion to how COVID protocols - like them or not - are affecting scheduling for the ORU Men's Basketball team and the rest of the Summit League, which is why the thread is relevant in the "ORU Men's Basketball" forum.

But it would seem the "Free For All" forum might be a more appropriate venue for broader opinions on the validity of said protocols and related issues.

Sound like a plan??

• Upvote 1

Watch this end up helping SDSU like it did last year. I believe SDSU played fewer league games than any of the top 4 in 2020-21.

I hate that they're not going to try to reschedule postponed games, but I guess it would just get too difficult with the distances involved between so many schools, and the already tightly-packed schedule.

Certainly does present the risk of manipulation by any team that wishes to avoid playing a certain opponent or opponents.  But, we've seen coaches trying to manipulate the tournament seeding process before in the Mid-Con/Summit:  Oakland's Greg Kampe more than once tanked in the last weekend to drop from the 4-or-5-seed to the 6-seed, to theoretically avoid a potential 1-seed match-up in the semi's.

The real travesty would be any teams not being cleared to play in Sioux Falls, which last year at least proved a fairly-level playing field, regardless of winning-percentage-based seeding.

March sure feels like a long time from right now...

winter is coming GIF