ORU vs Missouri State

vcboy2000

Mo St wins this one going away, 88-74. The guys are coming off of finals week and per Mills' Monday show, did not practice for the first part of the week until finals were over (maybe they're well rested?). The Bears seem pretty stout this year. A quad 2 loss is not the end of the world. Hopefully we keep it closer than my prediction but I'm not too optimistic. ESPN gives us a 37% chance of winning, which I think is probably generous. 

On 12/7/2021 at 2:57 PM, Old Titan said:

In other words:  if you're one of those cord-cuttin' millennials and all you have is an ESPN+ subscription, you MAY be out of luck.

Here's a link to ESPN's explanation of "How to Watch an ESPN3 Event":  https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003814592-How-can-I-watch-an-ESPN3-event-

I’m cord-cuttin’ baby boomer and I was able to log into the espn app using my YouTubeTV account so 🤞🏻 for the game tomorrow. 

• Upvote 2

ORU is a 9.5 point dog at Springfield tomorrow....O/U is 150.5.....always hate to wager against the Good Guys...but...😬

Last minute I'm able to be at the game today. Looking forward to see my fellow Golden Eagles in Springfield!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Good for you Eagle88! Enjoy the game.

Watching the OU-Arkansas game reminds me that ORU needs to get out to a good start.  Arkansas was down 10-0 before the first timeout and just spent the rest of the game battling back, which did not work.  The Eagles need to come out hot today on the road if they have any chance of winning.  Go ORU!

Both teams struggling to score as ORU trails by 2 at half.  The Bears are 1-13 from three and still lead at halftime.  Hopefully they do not heat up in the second half.

Listening to the ORUSN radio feed (I don't have access to ESPN3) and it sounds like the officiating has been horrendous. Any thoughts re: this?

10 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

Listening to the ORUSN radio feed (I don't have access to ESPN3) and it sounds like the officiating has been horrendous. Any thoughts re: this?

I haven't noticed too many homer calls, more the inconsistency that's bothering me.  I commented earlier in the game that NCAA refs are not nearly as competent as NBA refs. 

Bad shooting....too many turnovers...We stink on the road....🤢

Missouri State goes on a 11-2 run to start the second half and as they say: the rest was history.  

I don’t think the coaches are currently maximizing the talent that is on this squad.  It is definitely a process.  

Should have got the defensive rebound off the 2 missed free throws with about 7 minutes left.  Only down by 1 and with a chance to take the lead.  If ORU had taken the lead there, it might have changed the momentum/feel of the game.

I guess Abmas will have to get used to being pushed around without the benefit of foul calls when he is on the road.

Overall, while disappointed with another lost opportunity for a nice road win, I thought that the defensive and rebounding effort was very solid.  We are a much better defensive team than last season, IMHO, and I think that this will pay dividends later in the season. Tonight, however, we didn’t shoot well and were uncharacteristically sloppy with the basketball.  Our defense kept us in the game, but the other facets of the game didn’t push us over the top. 

Weaver is starting to develop a nice turn around/mid-range game.  When the threes were not falling in the second half, then he pretty much carried the offense.  That was pretty much ORU's inside game, if you want to call it that.   Question for the group: does Lufile have a post-up game?  It seems like his offense is based off of rebounding and stick backs or maybe a layup off of a drive.

On the radio show Coach Mills talked about the importance of limiting turnovers.  Then of course, ORU has 16 turnovers.  It is not just one guy but quite a few of the players had a problem with it.  Needs to be improved by conference time, which by the way is about a week away.

This was a bad loss. Missouri State is not that talented and is poorly coached. South Dakota State will beat them by double digits. 

Particularly frustrating to watch Missouri State turn the tide with multiple baskets right through Lacis and Weaver in the paint with Lufile and Herron wasted yet again on the bench.

• Like 1