ORU at Houston Baptist

theeagleman5

As the Tulsa World would say...ORU "hangs on" to beat Houston Baptist 85-67....a much needed win with a week off before Missouri State ....:shield-logo:

• Haha 1

Nice win for the good guys and they cover two road games in a row 😂

I listened to a lot of the game. The ORU contingent in Houston might have been louder than at TCU. That’s not helping my Texas road game wishes. 

Let’s build on this!

• Upvote 1

In the post-game interview, Coach Mills said as the #1 3pt shooting team in the country, our guys have to anticipate teams running us off the line. Taking the ball inside needs to be our response when our shots aren't falling.

• Upvote 1

This was a good team win, everyone contributing.  Nice to see Max get some help, instead of usually having to carry the team.  Lufile was really good tonight, maybe his best game at ORU.  Hopefully Coach will continue to give him 20 minutes a game, as he did tonight.

5 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

Elijah Lufile has 13 points and 11 rebounds…finally some muscle on the interior!

Double-double for Elijah in about 20 minutes off the bench.

I don’t think former ORU postman Albert Owens logged a single double-double in something like 80 starts. 😮

4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU +9.5 did cover vs. TCU.

That’s interesting - I talked to someone after the game who was crowing about his wager barely paying off on TCU at (-7.5). 😎

TheEagleman got the TCU line at +9.5 ORU early in the day...it dropped before tip off....but unfortunately I teased it with the Over....so that's a loss...😬

Nice to see us use a big lineup and for Lufile/Herron to perform. Having options in the post will keep teams honest. It will also result in more rebounds - and more possessions. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like somebody on the bench finally woke up....we don't have to live and die by the 3 point shot....ORU needs an inside game to compete in the Summit League.....😀

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Sounds like somebody on the bench finally woke up....we don't have to live and die by the 3 point shot....ORU needs an inside game to compete in the Summit League.....😀

Agreed. I love the value of the 3 pt shot, and don't mind that it is part of our identity as a team, but we've got to use our bigs a little bit better. Glad they performed well tonight. Hopefully we'll see some more of them going forward. 

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

That’s interesting - I talked to someone after the game who was crowing about his wager barely paying off on TCU at (-7.5). 😎

I guess it all depended on when the bet was placed….I had it at ORU +8….which ended up being a push.

easily cashed in last night at ORU -12.5!!!

It was great to see the team up close and live last night at HBU, instead of on t.v.  A few interesting things I noticed.

• The team was wearing the Navy Blue with Gold trim. Looked GREAT!
  • Cameron Amboree our recruit from Shadow Creek was in attendance. Looked taller in person. It was nice to see all the guys after the game go up to him and greet him. Looks like he fits in well.
  • Coach Mills didn't come out for pregame, not until the game started. Their stretching routine was interesting to watch.
  • Sir Issac, J.D Weaver, Max, and Lawrence all had a big contingent of family at the game. All of Sir Isaac's family had cool shirts on. 
  • The team seems to be very tight. It was nice to see them rooting for each other. As players came out of the game, they would go down the whole bench and give high fives, even to the student assistants.
  • Everyone played except for Luka.

A couple thoughts on the team and what stood out as I watched. (I don't claim to be an expert, just a fan.) 

• Coach Mills is very INTENSE all game! I was sitting right behind the bench. When we were down by eight and he took the time out, he chewed into them. I almost felt bad for them.
  • Our BIGS are impressive looking. Clover looked lost in the offensive set, but Lufile, Herron, and Plet are fun to watch. Very athletic and imposing. Herron will supply many highlights in the future. At one time Coach had Plet, Herron, and Clover in the game. I was surprised to see how athletic all three are. Plet was impressive, haven't seen much of him.
  • McBride is very impressive with the ball and makes things happen. Lufile was the recipient of four or five easy lay-ups/dunks because of drives into the lane by McBride. Defensively he was stellar also. (I would like to hear the story of how Coach Mills found and recruited him to ORU.)
  • I was really impressed with Phipps also. Very aggressive to the rim and drew many fouls. Also came off the bench and hit two threes.
  • I can't say enough about Herron. He is going to be special. I hope he stays around and trusts the process.

After I found the gym, (only holds 1000) it was a very fun and exciting night. I enjoyed talking to the alumni and seeing the families of the players. Looking forward to this upcoming week of games.

ELROY '92

• Upvote 6

23 hours ago, elroy92 said:

It was great to see the team up close and live last night at HBU, instead of on t.v.  A few interesting things I noticed.

• The team was wearing the Navy Blue with Gold trim. Looked GREAT!
  • Cameron Amboree our recruit from Shadow Creek was in attendance. Looked taller in person. It was nice to see all the guys after the game go up to him and greet him. Looks like he fits in well.
  • Coach Mills didn't come out for pregame, not until the game started. Their stretching routine was interesting to watch.
  • Sir Issac, J.D Weaver, Max, and Lawrence all had a big contingent of family at the game. All of Sir Isaac's family had cool shirts on. 
  • The team seems to be very tight. It was nice to see them rooting for each other. As players came out of the game, they would go down the whole bench and give high fives, even to the student assistants.
  • Everyone played except for Luka.

A couple thoughts on the team and what stood out as I watched. (I don't claim to be an expert, just a fan.) 

• Coach Mills is very INTENSE all game! I was sitting right behind the bench. When we were down by eight and he took the time out, he chewed into them. I almost felt bad for them.
  • Our BIGS are impressive looking. Clover looked lost in the offensive set, but Lufile, Herron, and Plet are fun to watch. Very athletic and imposing. Herron will supply many highlights in the future. At one time Coach had Plet, Herron, and Clover in the game. I was surprised to see how athletic all three are. Plet was impressive, haven't seen much of him.
  • McBride is very impressive with the ball and makes things happen. Lufile was the recipient of four or five easy lay-ups/dunks because of drives into the lane by McBride. Defensively he was stellar also. (I would like to hear the story of how Coach Mills found and recruited him to ORU.)
  • I was really impressed with Phipps also. Very aggressive to the rim and drew many fouls. Also came off the bench and hit two threes.
  • I can't say enough about Herron. He is going to be special. I hope he stays around and trusts the process.

After I found the gym, (only holds 1000) it was a very fun and exciting night. I enjoyed talking to the alumni and seeing the families of the players. Looking forward to this upcoming week of games.

ELROY '92

Thanks for the game report @elroy92!

Glad to hear Cam Amboree was in attendance.