Kevin Obanor

Old Titan

KO gets 26 points and 7 rebounds on KU, but was not enough.  Missed the last shot that would have tied the game, but the fix was on for KU to not lose - even on TTU's court.  Kevin's going to make a very good living playing basketball overseas.

TheEagleman also thought KO played a wonderful game but TTU didnt get many 2nd half calls from the refs....Billy Self worked the officials early and i guess it worked...tough loss for Obanor and his Red Raiders....😬

• 3 weeks later...

KO playing well vs. WVa tonight but TTU stinks....0-7 in the Big 12.... Obanor should have gone pro.....😬

3 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

KO playing well vs. WVa tonight but TTU stinks....0-7 in the Big 12.... Obanor should have gone pro.....😬

I would wager that Obanor will be a Second Team All-Big 12 this season, which should increase his stature on the professional level.  He will need to decide whether he wants to stay in the comforts of the United States and play in the G League or play overseas where the money may be better. 

KO could have probably moved on to the foreign leagues after ORU, but he (his handlers) thought he was able to get better at a P5 school and make the leap to the NBA.  It took him two seasons, but I believe he is better.  Would he have had the same growth in his skills at ORU?  Probably, but sometimes you have to find your own path in life.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

I would wager that Obanor will be a Second Team All-Big 12 this season

I would take that bet in a heartbeat. Averaging 12 pts and 6 rebounds shooting 20% from 3ptr on an 0-8 team? No way he is all conference. 
KO has done himself a huge disservice by transferring to a power 5 team. Why would you tip your hand to pro scouts about your deficiencies?  He goes from avg 19 pts / 10 rebs shooting 46% from 3ptr at ORU two years ago to having those numbers basically cut in half. It kills any kind of draft stock he had. Bad move by his people. 
His claim to fame is still his run with ORU. It’s what everyone remembers him by. All he has done at Tech is shown that you can’t build a team around him and expect to win. He needed Max more than Max needed him, and that is as obvious now as it’s ever been.

• Like 1

While I'm sure he appreciates the run he had with ORU, I doubt Kevin regrets his decision to transfer.

12 hours ago, vcboy2000 said:

While I'm sure he appreciates the run he had with ORU, I doubt Kevin regrets his decision to transfer.

Yeah, but WE do!! Actually, I've wondered - what would this team be like if Kevin still played for ORU. It's really hard to say what influence he would have on this team. It probably would have been positive, but on the other hand the chemistry with this team is just magical. I've never seen anything like it since I've been following ORU basketball.  Some piece of that by necessity would have been missing with Kevin's presence - would his piece have fit in synergistically with the rest? And what piece would be missing?  Vanover? Weaver? Jurgens? It's an interesting, but moot, consideration.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It just goes to show you that we are all expendable.  Yes, we will miss Max (and others) next year, but others will fill the gap and the coaches will help the team adjust to fit the needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmh8286 said:

Oh, we're gonna miss Max . . .

Someone will step in to help us miss Max less, but he will never be forgotten.  In fact, we look forward to watching him play for many years to come.

• Upvote 2

If Obanor stayed here, maybe Mwamba wouldn’t have decided to transfer here.  Who knows?  This team with Obanor would be amazing.  Max and Kevin running the pick and pop with Connor Vanover contributing all over the floor; yes sign me up for that.

Max will be missed.  But I am looking forward to McBride running the show next year with a little Amboree mixed in.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, ttowncount said:

https://fb.watch/ipl7Z8SBKJ/?mibextid=kdkkhi

Obanor led TTech back from a 20 point deficit to an overtime victory in Lubbock last evening. 

A sign of how tough the Big 12 is top to bottom this year: Tech was 0-8 in conference and still favored at home against #13 (6-2 in conference) Iowa State. And covered in OT.

• 2 weeks later...

KO with 15 and 7 last night at Stillwater but Pokes win on a tip in at the buzzer.....tough season for the Red Raiders....😮

• 2 months later...