Kevin Obanor

Old Titan

KO and his team have a chance to make history this week by knocking out Duke and thus ending Coach K's career. 

Never a big fan of Duke but Coach K is the best coach in college basketball since John Wooden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Never a big fan of Duke but Coach K is the best coach in college basketball since John Wooden.

Just to put Coach K's success into perspective:

If coach Mills were to win 25 games a year (he has yet to have a 20 win season) for the next 40 years he would still be over 100 wins behind coach K's carrier wins total!!

• Upvote 1

Coach K over 41 years:  1,196 wins (29.2 per year) and 365 losses (8.9 per year)

Kevin continues to get positive press coverage. 

Dallas Morning News - MEN’S NCAA TOURNAMENT | West Region: 3. Texas Tech (27-9) vs. 2. Duke (30-6) 8:39 p.m. Thursday (Ch. 11)Senior doubles as Mr. March
https://edition.pagesuite.com/popovers/dynamic_article_popover.aspx?artguid=5a825c6e-2aba-44a3-8076-c4898c14dc88

That is so cool! I wish Obanor the best in tonight's game. Go, TT! Win it!

Send Coach K home crying, Kevin!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

Send Coach K home crying, Kevin!

I would love to see it!

KO off to a nice start for Texas Tech vs. Duke tonight:  couple of long threes and several strong rebounds.

ORU getting lots of run tonight from broadcast crew of Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, and Grant Hill, with Arkansas toppling No. 1 Seed Gonzaga, sparking mentions of the Hogs' hard-fought win over ORU in the same spot last year, and with Obanor appearance in another Sweet Sixteen match-up, riding his 5-game NCAA double-double streak.

Hill, you might recall, was a last-second replacement for one of ORU's tournament games last year when color man Jim Sparnarkal was out due to COVID protocol.  He is noticably impressed with Obanor, even if it is at the expense of his beloved Blue Devils.  Just called him "Mr. March".

• Like 1

So...After transferrring and making it back to the Sweet 16 again but doing so with rougly 60% the playing time and stats, did KO improve his stock for potentially playing at the next level?  I'd suggest an argument could be made either way.  He certainly got more exposure and big time game experience with Tech, but would he have averaged 25+ and 12+ in the Summit League?  And how many assists would he have in 35 min/game kicking it out to a more open Max, McBride and Company?  How much pressure would have been taken off of our great shooters with him inside?  By the end of the season, how would ORU have done in the conference tournament with teams trying to guard Max, McBride, KO AND Elijah?  We'll never know but it might be fun (and a little gut-wrenching) to think about and possibly debate...Of course, I think he should have stayed but I'm a "homer".  I suppose most of you agree with Kevin that he did the right thing by transferring.  After all, the grass is always greener...

image.png.d843166036a5d6ee1862aae39f3399c8.png

Go Big Blue!

Rob

• Like 1

KO played a decent game last night in a tough loss to Duke....TheEagleman for one is tired of seeing Coach K....here's hoping that the Hogs (can't believe I am saying that) send the Blue Devils and their whining coach back to Durham, NC.....last thing I need to see is another week of pushing Coach K for Pope in his retirement.....🤢

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, ORob1 said:

So...After transferrring and making it back to the Sweet 16 again but doing so with rougly 60% the playing time and stats, did KO improve his stock for potentially playing at the next level?  I'd suggest an argument could be made either way.  He certainly got more exposure and big time game experience with Tech, but would he have averaged 25+ and 12+ in the Summit League?  And how many assists would he have in 35 min/game kicking it out to a more open Max, McBride and Company?  How much pressure would have been taken off of our great shooters with him inside?  By the end of the season, how would ORU have done in the conference tournament with teams trying to guard Max, McBride, KO AND Elijah?  We'll never know but it might be fun (and a little gut-wrenching) to think about and possibly debate...Of course, I think he should have stayed but  I suppose most of you agree with Kevin that he did the right thing by transferring.  After all, the grass is always greener...

image.png.d843166036a5d6ee1862aae39f3399c8.png

Go Big Blue!

Rob

For his NBA dreams, the transfer didn't/won't make a hill of beans difference.

For the short term, he did play on some big stages, much bigger crowds, more TV exposure, and more media attention. And, made in to another Sweet 16. 

Honestly, I can't blame him. I mean yeah, if he'd have stayed, he'd have bigger personal stats, but playing home games in front of 10,000 as opposed to 2,000 (actual ORU home attendance average) and playing road games at Big 12 arenas as opposed to Western Illinois and Omaha had to have been pretty enjoyable. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

For his NBA dreams, the transfer didn't/won't make a hill of beans difference.

For the short term, he did play on some big stages, much bigger crowds, more TV exposure, and more media attention. And, made in to another Sweet 16. 

Honestly, I can't blame him. I mean yeah, if he'd have stayed, he'd have bigger personal stats, but playing home games in front of 10,000 as opposed to 2,000 (actual ORU home attendance average) and playing road games at Big 12 arenas as opposed to Western Illinois and Omaha had to have been pretty enjoyable. 

I know better than to argue with Voice 😉 but as for attendance this year,  I'm pretty sure the two games I attended late in the year (SD & SDSU) were at least 4000+.  But you're right, TT probably had twice the attendance, if not more.

Rob  

7 minutes ago, ORob1 said:

I know better than to argue with Voice 😉 but as for attendance this year,  I'm pretty sure the two games I attended late in the year (SD & SDSU) were at least 4000+ but you're right, TT probably had twice the attendance, if not more.

Rob  

For a crowd of 4,000+ in the Mabee Center, that means every single seat in the lower bowl is full, along with every courtside seat, and every seat in the luxury boxes. 

Not trying to be argumentative. Just being honest.

Original Mabee Center capacity was 10,500, with the lower bowl seating about 5,000. But, there have been hundreds of seats removed from the lower bowl over the years due to where the band is, where press row is, and where the luxury suites are. The lower bowl at Mabee Center holds about 4,000. Actual attendance for the final weekend was around 2,500-ish. 

KO had six double doubles in his past two NCAA tournaments. Must put him in pretty rare company. Now he can go play in Europe for a few years and see the world. Good for him!

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

For a crowd of 4,000+ in the Mabee Center, that means every single seat in the lower bowl is full, along with every courtside seat, and every seat in the luxury boxes. 

Not trying to be argumentative. Just being honest.

Original Mabee Center capacity was 10,500, with the lower bowl seating about 5,000. But, there have been hundreds of seats removed from the lower bowl over the years due to where the band is, where press row is, and where the luxury suites are. The lower bowl at Mabee Center holds about 4,000. Actual attendance for the final weekend was around 2,500-ish. 

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

• Upvote 1