Kevin Obanor

Old Titan

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Considering the opponent and the circus-like atmosphere, this is easily Kevin’s best performance of the year, and the most minutes he has played in stretches for the year. 

So, chicken or the egg:  is he getting more minutes tonight because he’s playing so well, or is he playing so well because he’s getting more minutes? 🤨

This is the 1rst game i had really paid attention to Tech this year as wanted to see the atmosphere there last night. Not sure i have ever seen anything like that!  That was crazy. 

The Tech coach really has a quick hook for some of those guys including Obanor as he missed his first shot of the 2nd half and was yanked 1 minute into the 2nd half. Made some 3s with a couple that weren't sure how they went in but they did and really plays smart for them and battles underneath. He is having a good season and that team will be a really tough out in the tourney as they can play some freaking defense. Will always root for him and was a blast to watch last year in the tourney. 

My question is do you think transferring to Tech has helped his draft status? Or how he is thought of? I have my opinion on that but was wondering about others? 

KO probably needs to learn to speak German or Turkish..........👍

54 minutes ago, darrenj said:

My question is do you think transferring to Tech has helped his draft status? Or how he is thought of? I have my opinion on that but was wondering about others? 

Hasn't helped; hasn't hurt. 

He's an older prospect who is what he is, in Lubbock or Tulsa.  He's getting the most out of his physical make-up, but I doubt the NBA decision-makers see a whole lot of upside with him.

But, I bet he's having a ball right now with TTU's success and all the raucus games he's getting to play in each time out.  Great way to end your college career!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Old Titan said:

So, chicken or the egg:  is he getting more minutes tonight because he’s playing so well, or is he playing so well because he’s getting more minutes? 🤨

OT I ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon. I’ll let you know what happens. 

I actually think Kevin could be a successful role player in the NBA.  When you are 6’6”, can shoot a high % from 3 point range, can set screens, and play at least average defense, I believe he will get a chance to show that he belongs.

I also believe he would have had that same opportunity whether he was at ORU or Tx Tech because the scouts already saw his strengths during ORU’s run last March.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:29 PM, ORU40 said:

Otis my man! I felt the same thing through about the first 10 games of the season while Kevin was getting settled in with his new team and playing Ok. Now as KO is playing fantastic, on a top 15 team, continually on ESPN and in front of sold out 15,000 crazies in Lubbock(becoming one of of the best home court environments in college basketball)  I'm not so sure it's a plus for us in one area in particular. 

Retention! We aren't recruiting in the same pool as TT or the Big 12 in general, but once we bring in that 2 or 3 star recruit and coach them up, does the KO example make it that much easier for the kid to jump into the transfer portal? I haven't even brought up the NIL money, which just watching there home crowds is significant; Red Raider & Big 12 & college basketball is a big deal right now!! 

I would be very interested in seeing Max v KO's NIL deals this year! Because, the on the court difference team wise is now night and day with TT top 15 and ORU with wins against 3 Div. 1 teams with 500 records! The on the court individual difference still favors Max, based on his scoring, but KO is getting a lot of positive national attention. Which of the 2 has really improved their stock more this season?

My point is how does this affect our young talent; now and in the future, that may be thinking the grass is greener, I'm very concerned about a particular 6'-9" freshman athlete from Houston TX that is not getting the kind of minutes any of of think he should be getting! I just don't want to see us become a stepping stone program where we coach players up only to watch them move on. 

Our program has done a great job with the facilities, we've kept coach under contract. I hope we can improve our OOC schedule and that the program is being pro-active in facilitating NIL deals within the allowable rules. College basketball doesn't stand still, lets learn what we can from the KO transfer( good & bad and use it to our advantage moving forward) to keep our current talented players and continue building on our success!  

Go Eagles!!

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I was looking for the half full glass I set down somewhere.

Valid points ORU40 but I would remind you that the transfer portal giveth and the the transfer portal taketh away.  No doubt Kevin may not be the last player to shine at ORU and use the portal to go to what he perceived to be greener pastures.  On the other side of that coin Trey Phipps and Isaac McBride are two players who may not have been satisfied with their choice to play at a Power 5 school and came to South Lewis.  I would suggest that our success in the tournament, and perhaps all the free press Kevin is providing, may put the Golden Eagles on a young man's radar.  For someone like that we could become a destination for some. 

• Upvote 1

K.O. is now playing for a top ten Texas Tech team, ranked #9.  Guess he is enjoying that!

• 2 weeks later...

Now he’s 5-for-5 in the second half with three 3’s as Patrick Mahomes cheers him on from courtside. 

KO living his best life right now!

7 hours ago, ttowncount said:

Great article - way to go KO!

More love for Kevin from Chuck Carlton at the Dallas Morning News. 

Oral Roberts transfer Kevin Obanor scored 21 of his 23 points in the second half to lead the Tech surge. That included four 3-pointers during a key stretch that ignited another raucous crowd at United Supermarkets Arena, one that included Tech alum and Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

A breakout star for ORU in last season’s NCAA Tournament, Obanor added 13 rebounds for his third double-double of the season. Obanor acknowledged that he was one of several players singled out at halftime by coach Mark Adams, when Baylor led by seven.

”I can’t say too much on camera but he wasn’t having it,” Obanor said. “We were down and we just playing with no energy. … He called a couple of people including myself.”

Adams spoke highly of Obanor after his strong performance.

“Kevin Obanor, that second half, he put us on his shoulders,” Adams told reporters afterward “And he said, ‘Hey, I’m not going to let us lose.’”

Congrats to KO....TTU could be an NCAA darling in March and Obanor would get a ton of face time....heck....he already is......😎

If we are fortunate enough to earn another NCAA bid, we would likely be a 15-seed like last year.  I wouldn’t be surprised at all in that scenario if they matched us with a 2-seed Texas Tech due to the Kevin vs Max story.

Mixed blessing ORU getting mentioned in every Kevin Obanor story; P5 coaches across the land currently wondering how best to slide into Max, Elijah and "Mackey" DM's...

• Like 1