Kevin Obanor

Old Titan

Kareem Thompson could use a big game tonight....😎

KO on his one-man quest to prove me wrong (and, more importantly, anyone else who questions his decision to go to Texas Tech).

41 minutes ago, Old Titan said:
KO on his one-man quest to prove me wrong (and, more importantly, anyone else who questions his decision to go to Texas Tech).

He had 15 pts and 8 boards in 21 minutes so very good game for him last night.  Last Sat he played the same amount. 

The minutes thing is weird to me as seems he is subject to a quick hook pretty often and doesn't get to play through his mistakes much. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darrenj said:

He had 15 pts and 8 boards in 21 minutes so very good game for him last night.  Last Sat he played the same amount. 

The minutes thing is weird to me as seems he is subject to a quick hook pretty often and doesn't get to play through his mistakes much. 

It's crazy:  I switched over to the game with 17:00 to go in the first half, and Kevin was already on the bench.  Adams subbed through his entire list of guys that get minutes (8 or 9 players) before the first media timeout!

Abc Musical Chairs GIF by The Bachelorette

• Like 1

Does Texas Tech run an offense?  I watched part of that game and it was painful. Poor spacing and weak passes. Lots of guys standing around with the ball handler dribbling. Ugly and hard to watch. They do play hard, physical defense. 

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Does Texas Tech run an offense?  I watched part of that game and it was painful. Poor spacing and weak passes. Lots of guys standing around with the ball handler dribbling. Ugly and hard to watch. They do play hard, physical defense. 

I did notice more than one occasion where two guys would go to the same spot, then look at each other like Chip & Dale.  #NoYouGoFirst

Happy Christmas GIF

It's like Kevin just decided, "Ah, forget this nobody-throwin'-me-the-ball mess; I'm just gonna go down here under the basket and go to work."

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

I did notice more than one occasion where two guys would go to the same spot, then look at each other like Chip & Dale.  #NoYouGoFirst

Happy Christmas GIF

It's like Kevin just decided, "Ah, forget this nobody-throwin'-me-the-ball mess; I'm just gonna go down here under the basket and go to work."

Yeah, we noticed that too. I commented to my son that Coach Mills would blow his stack at two guys standing next to each other. He is very big on proper spacing. 

13 hours ago, ttowncount said:

IMG_7235.MOV 48.96 MB · 7 downloads  

From a Lubbock TV station today. 

No question; Kevin has been reborn the past few games by getting under the basket and doing grown man's work. 

No more standing in the corner with his hand up, like Oliver Twist saying "please, sir - I want the ball some more".

TheEagleman saw some of TTU at Kansas last night.....a 2OT classic.....great game that Texas Tech probably should have won....always tough to win at Phog Allen...the mecca of basketball......Obanor played real well....I was proud of him.....even my wife sitting there at one point said.....hey, doesn't that #0 in black look familiar.....yeah, dear....he played for ORU last year and was one of our best players.....I then had to explain why he left ORU.....good stuff.....great game.....TTU is definitely a Top 15 team......:k_obanor:

• Like 2

Still not over him transfering...🙄

I know-I'm immature, shallow and petty.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2021 at 6:32 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

I know Rob. Hard pill to swallow.  One has to expect with the transfer portal this will happen often, sometimes to our liking and other times not.

22 hours ago, eagle88 said:

I know Rob. Hard pill to swallow.  One has to expect with the transfer portal this will happen often, sometimes to our liking and other times not.

I miss Kevin and I wish he had kept his residence on S Lewis however I take comfort that every time I watch a Tech game there’s a mention of Kevin’s contribution to our sweet 16 run. Every time. 

In addition it is mentioned in almost every article I read about Tech in the Dallas Morning News. 

That is a lot of good publicity for our program. It’s a small balm to help heal the wound. 

• Upvote 2

KO is Tech’s leading scorer with 11 during their first half domination of Texas. 

On 1/31/2022 at 1:44 PM, Otis 83 said:

I miss Kevin and I wish he had kept his residence on S Lewis however I take comfort that every time I watch a Tech game there’s a mention of Kevin’s contribution to our sweet 16 run. Every time. 

In addition it is mentioned in almost every article I read about Tech in the Dallas Morning News. 

That is a lot of good publicity for our program. It’s a small balm to help heal the wound. 

Otis my man! I felt the same thing through about the first 10 games of the season while Kevin was getting settled in with his new team and playing Ok. Now as KO is playing fantastic, on a top 15 team, continually on ESPN and in front of sold out 15,000 crazies in Lubbock(becoming one of of the best home court environments in college basketball)  I'm not so sure it's a plus for us in one area in particular. 

Retention! We aren't recruiting in the same pool as TT or the Big 12 in general, but once we bring in that 2 or 3 star recruit and coach them up, does the KO example make it that much easier for the kid to jump into the transfer portal? I haven't even brought up the NIL money, which just watching there home crowds is significant; Red Raider & Big 12 & college basketball is a big deal right now!! 

I would be very interested in seeing Max v KO's NIL deals this year! Because, the on the court difference team wise is now night and day with TT top 15 and ORU with wins against 3 Div. 1 teams with 500 records! The on the court individual difference still favors Max, based on his scoring, but KO is getting a lot of positive national attention. Which of the 2 has really improved their stock more this season?

My point is how does this affect our young talent; now and in the future, that may be thinking the grass is greener, I'm very concerned about a particular 6'-9" freshman athlete from Houston TX that is not getting the kind of minutes any of of think he should be getting! I just don't want to see us become a stepping stone program where we coach players up only to watch them move on. 

Our program has done a great job with the facilities, we've kept coach under contract. I hope we can improve our OOC schedule and that the program is being pro-active in facilitating NIL deals within the allowable rules. College basketball doesn't stand still, lets learn what we can from the KO transfer( good & bad and use it to our advantage moving forward) to keep our current talented players and continue building on our success!  

Go Eagles!!

• Upvote 1

Considering the opponent and the circus-like atmosphere, this is easily Kevin’s best performance of the year, and the most minutes he has played in stretches for the year. 

So, chicken or the egg:  is he getting more minutes tonight because he’s playing so well, or is he playing so well because he’s getting more minutes? 🤨