Kevin Obanor

Old Titan

Just now, Dr. Cornelius said:

I wish KO well and hope he makes the league... but even driving through Lubbock is a mistake 😄.

Well, you do have a point there. 

Kevin is the only one who knows the reasons why (and where) he transferred.

From the beginning of this thread, I've just wondered if he's happy with 8.9 points and 5.3 rebounds in 25 minutes per game.  Not exactly all-conference numbers, wherever you play.

I'm guessing he likes this, though...great pic!

• Upvote 1

If Kevin had stayed at ORU, is it unrealistic to say that we might only have 2-3 losses, would probably be getting votes in the Top 25 poll, and as a result he might be getting a lot of national exposure because of his contribution to ORU’s success?

4 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

If Kevin had stayed at ORU, is it unrealistic to say that we might only have 2-3 losses, would probably be getting votes in the Top 25 poll, and as a result he might be getting a lot of national exposure because of his contribution to ORU’s success?

My first reaction to this was "No way", but after thinking on it for a bit, you may be right. Realistically, he could've made a difference and won us games against Central Arkansas, Mo State, OSU, SDSU. Even if we won all of those games, not sure we'd be getting top 25 votes. That being said, we'd certainly be getting a lot more attention. It's a decent argument. 

Either way, I think it's hard to argue that leaving ORU to advance his career is a mistake. Whether or not Tech was the right choice to transfer to is another story.

2 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Who knows; ORU still managed to lose a lot of games last season with Kevin and Max scoring a lot of points together.

ORU is statistically a better defensive and rebounding team this year; would love to think those stats would have been even better with KO in the line-up, this leading to more wins so far this season, but once again:  who knows?

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

ORU is statistically a better defensive and rebounding team this year; would love to think those stats would have been even better with KO in the line-up, this leading to more wins so far this season, but once again:  who knows?

This is the weird thing about this team. KO was a better rebounder and defender than his replacement so how do we seem to improve so much from this time last year? Are the other guys on the floor just that much better than last year in these areas? 

Just now, EagleManiac said:

This is the weird thing about this team. KO was a better rebounder and defender than his replacement so how do we seem to improve so much from this time last year? Are the other guys on the floor just that much better than last year in these areas? 

I'll answer my own question. Yes. 

2 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

This is the weird thing about this team....are the other guys on the floor just that much better than last year in these areas? 

"Yes."

They're not all waiting for Kevin to get the rebound.  Everyone is much more aggressive about (literally) rising to the occasion.

2 hours ago, ttowncount said:

Still a topic of conversation. 

#smh at the “level of competition” as the announcer’s theory for why Kevin’s scoring is down. It’s because they don’t run any plays for him, that’s why!

Obanor leads all TTU scorers with 17 in their 20-point rout of Oklahoma State tonight. Good for him beating down those Cowboys!

• Upvote 1

Big XII competition is better than what he experienced in the 3 rounds of the NCAA tournament?  OT is spot on with the explanation…and Max may have had something to do with his success last year. 

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

#smh at the “level of competition” as the announcer’s theory for why Kevin’s scoring is down. It’s because they don’t run any plays for him, that’s why!

Obanor leads all TTU scorers with 17 in their 20-point rout of Oklahoma State tonight. Good for him beating down those Cowboys!

Yep.. 17 pts on 8 shots is not too bad. 

For OSU Bryce Thompson is really struggling this year as i think he was counting on playing 1 year and turning pro. Shooting 40% from 2 and 29% from 3 is not exactly what the NBA is looking for i don't think. 

54 minutes ago, darrenj said:

For OSU Bryce Thompson is really struggling this year as i think he was counting on playing 1 year and turning pro. Shooting 40% from 2 and 29% from 3 is not exactly what the NBA is looking for i don't think. 

I did not think Bryce Thompson was 5-star material in high school at Booker T, he did not look the part at Kansas his freshman year, and he was "just another guy" when OSU played at the Mabee Center in November.  He has terrible technique on his outside shot, and he makes poor decisions with the ball. He has a long way to go for ANY sort of professional basketball career.

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I did not think Bryce Thompson was 5-star material in high school at Booker T, he did not look the part at Kansas his freshman year, and he was "just another guy" when OSU played at the Mabee Center in November.  He has terrible technique on his outside shot, and he makes poor decisions with the ball. He has a long way to go for ANY sort of professional basketball career.

A lot of OSU fans were over the moon on his transfer and i just didn't see it all. Seems like a guy that may turn into a good solid college player but has a ways to go just to get to that. 

This another school that has a ton of assistant coaches and timeouts are a cluster. Maybe it is just me and hadn't noticed it before.:)

1 hour ago, darrenj said:

This another school that has a ton of assistant coaches and timeouts are a cluster. Maybe it is just me and hadn't noticed it before.:)

I just figured most of those "assistants" are in charge of getting the chairs on and off the court for the timeouts.

ORU's marketing students do a better job of that chore during the "musical chairs" promotion at halftime.

• Like 1

In the actual paper, the headline as the story continues on page 6C is “Tech scoops up talented transfers.”  

The Dallas Morning News - TEXAS TECH AT KANSAS STATE | 11 a.m. today (ESPN2)Red-hot Raiders
https://edition.pagesuite.com/popovers/dynamic_article_popover.aspx?artguid=0b78c5ce-cb00-47ad-9ce0-492a12acabd4

On 1/14/2022 at 10:27 AM, Old Titan said:

On 1/14/2022 at 2:59 PM, darrenj said:

A lot of OSU fans were over the moon on his transfer and i just didn't see it all. Seems like a guy that may turn into a good solid college player but has a ways to go just to get to that.

He just finished up a huge performance to close out a W against #1 ranked Baylor.  4 clutch free throws  down the stretch and a game sealing steal to put the Bears away.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:27 AM, Old Titan said:

Hot take not aging well:  Bryce Thompson has the game of his college career today as OSU upsets Baylor in Waco. He basically took over on both ends of the floor in crunch time. 

Who can I bless this week with the Midas touch?  Lol