Kevin Obanor

Old Titan

That shows why KO went to Texas Tech, he gets to play in front of thousands on ESPN and beat Kansas at home.  Sorry but that chance does not happen at ORU.

Well...i think that KO enjoyed beating Ohio State and Florida on National TV while playing for ORU....:shield-logo:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

That shows why KO went to Texas Tech, he gets to play in front of thousands on ESPN and beat Kansas at home.  Sorry but that chance does not happen at ORU.

I  agree with Keenan, KO is clearly not scoring like I'm sure he would like to be. But he is on a ranked team playing a great schedule with several games on national TV.  Frankly, I would say he has improved his stock, while in my opinion it appears Max maybe hasn't. 

Max is having a great scoring year, and will most likely be the Summit POY. But, has he really shown improvement in the areas that kept him out of last year's draft? Everyone knows he can shoot the 3. Is he blowing by Summit level guards?  His TO's are higher then I'm sure he would like. The NBA is a grown mans league, Max isn't happy with the summit league officiating,  can he handle next level physicality? NBA guards are brutal!  Has he shown he can defend at an NBA level?

KO is playing a great schedule against the best teams in the country with several nationally televised games. He looks like an NBA back up forward! He is strong and has the big body which is a mandatory. He's shown he can guard bigs, he shut Timme down in the 1st half vs Gonzaga, we know he can shoot and rebound and he's accepting his role player status on a winning team. 

I'm just sayin I'm not so sure KO isn't as unhappy with his decision as the ORU fan base is!

I wish him the very best.  

• Upvote 2

LOL - Max just finished the week 2-0 on the road against upper-division teams, averaging 35 points and 7.5 assists per contest in the process. 

Can’t speak for the man, but I’m guessing he’s feeling pretty good about himself right now. 

• Upvote 2

Tonight’s game in Waco featuring the visiting Red Raiders could be interesting to watch. 

48 minutes ago, ttowncount said:

I love it when Fran Franschilla is the court side analyst and talks about ORU.  He knows this program well, and always speaks highly of it. 

KO had a great game tonight, and played a significant role in TTU’s upset of #1 Baylor.  

On 1/8/2022 at 11:06 PM, Old Titan said:

LOL - Max just finished the week 2-0 on the road against upper-division teams, averaging 35 points and 7.5 assists per contest in the process. 

Can’t speak for the man, but I’m guessing he’s feeling pretty good about himself right now. 

I understand this an ORU fan board, but Max can score  a lot of points against a Div 3 team from a year ago and Western whoever but who else besides us 50 die hard ORU fans watched on an AOL dial up,  and honestly who see's his stats and says great, but he's not playing anybody.

KO just played on ESPN 2-National TV game... again and beat the #1 team in the nation that happens to be the defending national champions on the road!! Talk about tough conference road wins!!! 

He's  a starter on the current #19 team in the nation, and will probably be a top 10-15 when the next rankings come out and he's playing very well. He's not scoring like he can(which he's shown previously), but he's playing great all round winning basketball!! Defense against bigger players, rebounding, great picks and passing... he looks really good.

So before we all say he's made a huge mistake, lets just take our ORU googles off and be happy for him.

• Like 4

I tend to agree with ORU40 above. I'm sure he is not missing living in EMR and playing conference games in high school gyms. 

I would have to say both guys had a great week. But I still think Kevin is in a system at Texas Tech that does not take advantage of his talents. 

I suppose it all boils down to what he was hoping to achieve by transferring. If he wanted to play in big arenas in front of more people in marquee games of more national interest, then mission accomplished. 

But, if he was hoping to showcase his skills on a bigger stage in order to increase his NBA draft stock, then so far it’s been a mistake. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I understand this an ORU fan board, but Max can score  a lot of points against a Div 3 team from a year ago and Western whoever but who else besides us 50 die hard ORU fans watched on an AOL dial up,  and honestly who see's his stats and says great, but he's not playing anybody.

KO just played on ESPN 2-National TV game... again and beat the #1 team in the nation that happens to be the defending national champions on the road!! Talk about tough conference road wins!!! 

He's  a starter on the current #19 team in the nation, and will probably be a top 10-15 when the next rankings come out and he's playing very well. He's not scoring like he can(which he's shown previously), but he's playing great all round winning basketball!! Defense against bigger players, rebounding, great picks and passing... he looks really good.

So before we all say he's made a huge mistake, lets just take our ORU googles off and be happy for him.

I think you are right about if KO was looking for a bigger stage well he is certainly on it right now. Very big win last night for Tech. He is playing center on defense and is not getting a lot of touches on offense but is playing well when he is out there. Very happy for him. As far as the NBA he probably is not getting drafted but he can make a great living overseas and just keep improving and who knows in the future. 

Max is what he is a small undersized guard who can flat out score against pretty much anyone. ORU system is perfect for him and cant think of one that would fit him as well anywhere else. Again, probably not getting drafted and will have to earn his way onto an NBA roster or go overseas and make some $$. You just never know what happens. The Pacers just called up Sykes a 5'11" 165 guard from their GLeague for the rest of the year. He is 28 and been grinding for years. Just takes one team. 

Wishing the best for both guys. They both a blast to watch last year in the tourney for sure.

On 1/8/2022 at 5:22 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

Hmm.. Seems like the 3 games they played in the tourney last year were probably played in front of a few people and i know for sure the Ark game was shown and beating Ohio St and Fla. was no small feat as well. So, i think that can happen at ORU as well. 🙂 

I have no problem with KO going to Tech. Great win for them last night and they are having a very surprising year so far. In a good way. 

If he is happy playing center for them and getting limited touches but playing in the best basketball conference in the nation that is a great thing. 

Will be rooting him on for sure! He was a blast to watch last year in the tourney. 

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I would have to say both guys had a great week. But I still think Kevin is in a system at Texas Tech that does not take advantage of his talents. 

I suppose it all boils down to what he was hoping to achieve by transferring. If he wanted to play in big arenas in front of more people in marquee games of more national interest, then mission accomplished. 

But, if he was hoping to showcase his skills on a bigger stage in order to increase his NBA draft stock, then so far it’s been a mistake. 

Totally off subject on this but did anyone else notice how many assistant coaches Baylor has? Watching time outs at the end they had like 4 different coaches talking.:) 

12 hours ago, ORU40 said:

100%. Not sure how anyone can harbor ill feelings toward KO? Or, say that he made a mistake?

He and Max will both have fine careers playing overseas, no matter where they finished their college days. Dude wanted to play on a big stage and he's getting that chance. If I were in his shoes, I'd much rather play in front of packed arenas, on ESPN, against top flight competition, as opposed to playing in front of 859 fans at Mabee Center agaisnt St. Thomas or on the road in front of 382 fans at Western Illinois. 

6 hours ago, oruvoice said:

100%. Not sure how anyone can harbor ill feelings toward KO? Or, say that he made a mistake?

I wish KO well and hope he makes the league... but even driving through Lubbock is a mistake 😄.

• Haha 1