Kevin Obanor

Old Titan

KO update:  3 points in 34 minutes as a starter in Texas Tech's ugly 51-47 loss at Iowa State Wednesday night.  Kevin was 1-5 from the field, 0-3 from three, with 10 rebounds but 3 bad turnovers and 3 fouls. 

And this was all with the Red Raiders only having 7 players at ther disposal, for a variety of reasons.  The five starters averaged 34 minutes each, same as Kevin.

He was in and out of the line-up down the stretch in crunch time, and on several key occassions his teammates simply refused to pass him the ball when he was standing wide open in the corner or at the top of the key, even when he was the next logical target while the ball was being reversed.

Can't imagine this is what he had in mind when he transferred.  The ESPN color commentator mentioned midway through the second half that Kevin must be having a hard time adjusting to "not even being the third or fourth option, after teaming up with Max Abmas to do so much at Oral Roberts".

• Like 1

KO has been up and down with Texas Tech.  The competition has gone way up with Texas Tech now starting its B12 schedule.  Iowa State is a top 15 team.   So of course it is tough matchup but he does look out of place and just has not find his niche with the Red Raiders so far.  They are a defensive minded team that wins by grinding out games.  KO is a scorer who needs a more fast paced style, where he can get in the flow of the offense.

Kevin went with people he was familiar with (Williams/Hester), but the move was wrong and will not help him get to where he wants to be. He should have picked Arkansas - but I'm glad he didn't.

KO made a young person's mistake and has come to realize it. I have it on very good authority that last summer KO was told he needed to distance himself from Max because Max was getting most of the attention. KO took the advice hook line and sinker, thinking he would get more of the spotlight at Tech. It would not only have helped KO to stay at ORU but it would have been better for this year's team. It's a bit like a Shakespeare tragedy except KO has dug a huge hole while ORU could feasibly end up in the Tourney again. I will always wish KO the best!

I figured that was the case. Can’t blame him… the allure of seeing how he could do at another school was strong. I just think that Arkansas would have been better if he wanted to leave. They play more uptempo and need someone with his skill set. 

Here is my observation when I see KO play this year. He is surrounded by a group of " superstars" who want their points and recognition.  At ORU he had Max, a very unselfish player who passes to the open guy. KO was told to get away from someone that he should have stayed close to.

• Upvote 1

47 points?

Why even play if your objective is to make the game so ugly and unwatchable?

If you're a D1 team and you can't score more than 20 in a half something is seriously wrong.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

47 points?

Why even play if your objective is to make the game so ugly and unwatchable?

If you're a D1 team and you can't score more than 20 in a half something is seriously wrong.

Reminds me of the old joke about North Carolina coach Dean Smith being the only person in the world who could hold Michael Jordan to 20 points a game. 

The “oldest-rookie-coach-in-America” at Texas Tech has done the same thing with Kevin.

Such a waste…

I’ve watched parts of several TT games… and it’s not just the coach. In numerous situations his teammates looked like they would rather throw the ball into the stands than pass it to him. 

• Upvote 1

Big mistake by Kevin.  No guarantee things would have been better at Arkansas either.  He definitely should have stayed at ORU.

I hate this for Kevin. From a distance, he seems like a good dude and he represented us well. I wanted him to stay but wished him the best after he made his decision. I’m sad for him that this hasn’t worked out so far. 

Here's to hoping he can turn things around. 

I seriously doubt KO is getting the love on the Tech message board that he's been getting from all us on the ORU message board. Can we petition for a  mid season transfer portal to bring KO back??!!!

16 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

I figured that was the case. Can’t blame him… the allure of seeing how he could do at another school was strong. I just think that Arkansas would have been better if he wanted to leave. They play more uptempo and need someone with his skill set. 

Not sure he could have picked a worse style of play to go to with his skill set. That coach is known as a defensive coach. He is a grind it out and beat people up type of coach. Pretty much the exact opposite of ORU style of play. KO got some terrible advice on this one. He really only had to watch a couple of Tech's games last year under Beard to see what style they play. Not sure why he thought it was going to change. It has only gotten worse. 

Did he think playing with Shannon who is Tech's best player was going to be better than playing with Max? I pretty much guarantee you if he had a do over he would have stayed. Oh Well. 

17 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Pretty much anyone but Tech would have been a better choice with his skill set. 🙂

Obanor vs. Kansas on ESPN2 right now. He has 7 so far...Red Raiders leading...😎

Huge board by KO in final minute. Red Raiders upset Jayhawks...😎