Kevin Obanor

Old Titan

One of the things that Kevin brought to the ORU team that we desperately need now (especially on the road) is toughness. We need that player who has a chip on their shoulder that looks to take the fight to the other team before they even have a chance to bring the fight to you. 

• Upvote 3

He also may have brought some other things that weren't good for the team, but we all have our faults right? 🙂

4 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

One of the things that Kevin brought to the ORU team that we desperately need now (especially on the road) is toughness. We need that player who has a chip on their shoulder that looks to take the fight to the other team before they even have a chance to bring the fight to you. 

I agree.

This year's team seems to gets pushed back on their heels in the first half and has to find a way to respond... & sometimes that doesn't come until the second half.

19 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

I agree completely, not having that mentality on this years team has definitely contributed to our slow starts. Part of it also is our style of offense, we have 5 guys out around the ark looking to space the court and shoot 3's which is not a physical style of play like pounding the ball down into the post or attacking the basket off the dribble! Coaches style has obviously worked, but I think posting someone up on a targeted match up or attacking the basket off the dribble- particularly early in the game- would help get our guys get into the game with a little more aggressiveness. It cant hurt to come out physically rather then waiting to get get punched in the mouth and reacting- and almost always playing catch up!

Go Eagles!!      

I wonder if playing Isaiah earlier in the game would help. He was a difference maker for sure when he was in the game against TCU. 

5 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

I wonder if playing Isaiah earlier in the game would help. He was a difference maker for sure when he was in the game against TCU. 

I don't think you necessarily have to change your starting line up, you could post up Carlos or Kareem if they have a match up with a smaller defender or isolate them for a drive to the basket. Both are strong and good around the basket for their size, and could exploit a mismatch.

This would be a good way to start the game attacking, possibly draw an early foul on the defense and it's also a good way to get them going offensively early in games since they both have struggled shooting 3's and are not playing the roles in the offense they should be. 

K.O. is in Madsion Square Garden tonight, a once in a lifetime opportunity.  They are playing Tennessee in the Jimmy V Classic.  The announcer Jay Bilas said that K.O. was preparing with another Texas Tech player, forgot which one he said it was, for a possible chance at going pro this past summer.  When that did not work out, the Red Raider player recruited K.O. to come to Texas Tech.  This is according to Bilas and what he said on ESPN tonight.  Did anyone see that?

Seems odd rooting for K.O. and him playing for the Red Raiders.

7 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

K.O. is in Madsion Square Garden tonight, a once in a lifetime opportunity.  They are playing Tennessee in the Jimmy V Classic.  The announcer Jay Bilas said that K.O. was preparing with another Texas Tech player, forgot which one he said it was, for a possible chance at going pro this past summer.  When that did not work out, the Red Raider player recruited K.O. to come to Texas Tech.  This is according to Bilas and what he said on ESPN tonight.  Did anyone see that?

Seems odd rooting for K.O. and him playing for the Red Raiders.

Check this out. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks ttowncount, spot on.  So it was Terrance Shannon who got K.O. to come to Texas Tech.

I think Corey Williams and Talvin Hester - both former ORU assistant coaches - also had a hand in Obanor transferring to Texas Tech. 

Shooting woes aside, Kevin played 42 minutes, had 7 rebounds, and outshot the rest of both teams from 3 (2-11 for him vs 2-13 for the rest of his team, and 6-40 for Tennessee) in a win against the #13 team in the country. I miss him.

• Upvote 2

TT should not allow anyone but Obanor to shoot a jump shot. And how about passing him the ball off the top of the key screen? How many times did I see him make a pick and not receive the ball when he was open? Pathetic lack of teamwork 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ORUTex said:

Going to OT at 44-44. Kevin is 4-16 from the floor, 2-11 on threes. Ouch.

That was one of the worst BB games i have ever seen! What i watched of it.:)   Goodness. You would think with all the missed 3s there would be opportunities to get out and get some easy shots. 

13 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

I think Corey Williams and Talvin Hester - both former ORU assistant coaches - also had a hand in Obanor transferring to Texas Tech. 

Corey" The Closer" Williams! Glad he is doing well. He always had a smile on his face and also upbeat. Super nice guy.