ORU-OSU

eagle88

It was a lot of fun.  I had guests who don't regularly attend ORU games but are big college basketball fans, and they had a great time.  They were very impressed with everything, EXCEPT the obviously unprepared and/or under-staffed concession stands (didn't we warn about that very thing a couple of weeks ago?).

Watched the first half of the OSU game and, wow - Abmas received no love from the refs. You would think that an all-American player would get some consideration. The play near the end of the first half where Max is run over and the ball was stolen was worse than I thought from my vantage point in the arena. 

45 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Watched the first half of the OSU game and, wow - Abmas received no love from the refs. You would think that an all-American player would get some consideration. The play near the end of the first half where Max is run over and the ball was stolen was worse than I thought from my vantage point in the arena. 

You left at halftime?? How could you, as in , must’ve been dying inside listening to radio at whatever other function you were obligated to…

35 minutes ago, Ting said:

You left at halftime?? How could you, as in , must’ve been dying inside listening to radio at whatever other function you were obligated to…

Sorry for not being clear… I re-watched the game this afternoon on ORUSN

• Upvote 1

I forgot to ask this question Friday night:  I was late getting to my seats and missed introductions.  Was anything said/done to recognize Scott Sutton?

No mention was made of Scott as an assistant coach during team introductions. And no mention or acknowledgment from the announcer. 

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

No mention was made of Scott as an assistant coach during team introductions. And no mention or acknowledgment from the announcer. 

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

TheEagleman agrees that it's petty not to have welcomed back the winningest men's basketball coach in ORU history Scott Sutton during the ORU-OSU pre game introductions....but on the ORU SPORTS.com Board we are not petty.....and we appreciate Coach Sutton for all he did for ORU.....thank you, sir!  See the source image

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Classy. 

Scott Sutton always had competitive teams and won a lot of games against good teams: Kansas, OSU, Georgetown, USC, and Missouri to name a few.  Also, three straight trips to the NCAA's which has never been done at ORU.  Maybe had the best recruiting class since the 70s when he signed Ken Tuit and Caleb Green together as freshman.

Scott did not have competitive teams for the last 5+ years of his head coaching career at ORU.  He recruited poorly once Tom Hankins left and Sean Sutton arrrived.  Once he left, the cupboard was pretty bare and Paul Mills has spent the last 3-4 years trying to stock the cupboard.

Scott personally did not say anything negative toward ORU when he left but Sutton family associates (Doug Gottlieb, Dave Sittler, Pat Jones, and others) used information deceptively that could only have come from Scott to try and criticize ORU and make it look like it was ORUs fault (not Scott’s fault) that his teams over the last 5 years weren’t very good.

I don’t blame ORU for not recognizing the assistant coach of a team that is trying to and did beat you in your house.  I think it was most appropriate not to recognize him at the OSU game to simply focus on the future and not the past.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Scott personally did not say anything negative toward ORU when he left but Sutton family associates (Doug Gottlieb, Dave Sittler, Pat Jones, and others) used information deceptively that could only have come from Scott to try and criticize ORU and make it look like it was ORUs fault (not Scott’s fault) that his teams over the last 5 years weren’t very good.

I seem to recall from the time that most of the "information" leaked to the likes of Gottlieb & Co. came from ousted assistant and older brother Sean, not Scott.

IMHO, some of the original details had to come from Scott.  Whether he authorized Sean to spread the exaggerated details all over or someone else did that on their own without Scott’s permission, we will probably never know.