ORU-OSU

eagle88

5 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

OT I have a perfectly logical explanation....just like phantom voters vote in our elections there had to have been phantom fans in those empty seats! 

Yep. I was just about to suggest that perhaps some Democrats counted tickets sold tonight... 

Great atmosphere! If just one of those 50/50 balls or FTs goes ORU’s way it’s a different story.

I don’t think you can really ask for a better end of game situation than a wide open Phipps for the win. He just needs to knock that down.

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I thought the turning point was when ORU lead 57-48 and the Eagles got the rebound off of a close miss.  Then OSU's coach runs on the floor and the referee blows the whistle for a timeout (on accident).  That was strange and then they only gave OSU's coach a warning. 

I also don’t really understand what happened there. Strange sequence .  

ORU athletic webpage has the attendance listed at around 6100.  Adam the announcer said the revised Mabee Center can hold 8700 at max.  So that is a lot of empty seats.  Still a good turnout overall.  

Max looked like the nation's leading scorer tonight and carried the Eagles in the first half.  OSU's defense was very tough against him too.  What about that shot he hit from his knees in the second half on the drive?  Should have been a SportsCenter Top 10 highlight!

The refs were letting OSU play physically on Max without calling fouls.  Max could have tried to drive but risked a turnover or no call.  They wanted to make sure and get a shot off so they found the open man who was Trey Phipps.  OSU defended well because they are deep with a bunch of athletes.  Proud of ORUs effort, the ORU crowd involvement, and hoping they play this well for the rest of the year.

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I thought the turning point was when ORU lead 57-48 and the Eagles got the rebound off of a close miss.  Then OSU's coach runs on the floor and the referee blows the whistle for a timeout (on accident).  That was strange and then they only gave OSU's coach a warning.  After that the Cowboys go on a run and seemed to take back the momentum. 

Imagine if that had been a tech like it probably could have been. Would've continued the momentum for us and two free throws could have won us the game. That whole thing was weird. Boynton thought he got T'd up too. 

5 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

The refs were letting OSU play physically on Max without calling fouls. 

They were pretty handsy with him the whole evening. Could have been many many more hand-check fouls called on the cowboys if they wanted to. Probably could say the same thing for our bigs though I guess. 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

I’ve now seen in several spots that ORU is deeming this game a “sellout”.

Someone needs to explain the math to me, because there were literally thousands of empty seats in the upper bowl.

I would put the actual butts-in-seats count at around 7,000, which is still the best crowd for an ORU game in over a decade.  

Can anyone explain the discrepancy on the attendance?

Announced attendance of 6,100. I would have guessed there were many more than that though.  

My interpretation of it is that those seats in those sections were never available for sale and that all tickets were sold. I checked throughout the week and certain sections were never made available on the website. I think those sections were also the sections that were still bare at the beginning of the season and were unlit today. It looks like there are seats there now but I figure there must be some reason that the Mabee could not sell those sections - missing armrests, fastening bolts, who knows. If that's the case and those seats were not able to be sold, all available tickets were sold and you have a..... sellout. 

Kind of silly that they're calling it a sellout with whole sections of the arena completely empty.

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I thought the turning point was when ORU lead 57-48 and the Eagles got the rebound off of a close miss.  Then OSU's coach runs on the floor and the referee blows the whistle for a timeout (on accident).  That was strange and then they only gave OSU's coach a warning.  After that the Cowboys go on a run and seemed to take back the momentum.  But give the Cowboys credit they fought back when it looked like ORU had taken over the game.  Hope ORU has something left in the tank for Tulsa!

The coach on defense can’t call a timeout while the offense is advancing the ball. 

Boynton was TRYING to get a tech to stop ORU’s fast break and momentum with a 9-point lead. Instead he gets a FREE timeout, no T, and stops ORU right in their tracks. It was the turning point in the game; OSU began their comeback to take the lead right there, and it was all ORU could do to fight back and tie it in regulation. 

Big Xll referees - you can always count on them to remember who butters their bread. 😡

4 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Announced attendance of 6,100. I would have guessed there were many more than that though.  

My interpretation of it is that those seats in those sections were never available for sale and that all tickets were sold. I checked throughout the week and certain sections were never made available on the website. I think those sections were also the sections that were still bare at the beginning of the season and were unlit today. It looks like there are seats there now but I figure there must be some reason that the Mabee could not sell those sections - missing armrests, fastening bolts, who knows. If that's the case and those seats were not able to be sold, all available tickets were sold and you have a..... sellout. 

Kind of silly that they're calling it a sellout with whole sections of the arena completely empty.

That makes perfect sense if that’s the case. 

I agree OT. Not to be a sore loser but we battled OSU's 5 players on the court and 3 refs. OSU had many more calls go their way. That is all I will say but what a shame the calls were not more fair. Knowing they were Big 12 refs clears it all up 

This had to be Weaver's most aggressive game of his career in the paint.  He had a K.O. type performance: scoring inside and outside, grabbing rebounds and playing some tough inside defense.  First time he has showed that all year long.  

Francis also had a great game.  He was driving and finding open teammates along with hitting some threes.  When Lacis got his fifth foul then it was similar to the Sweet 16 game when Jurgens got into foul trouble: it just felt like the Eagles were holding on for dear life.  

It seems like Lufile is very close to being a solid player off of the bench for ORU.  He really needs to work on the free throws because teams are going to foul him a lot.  You cannot outmuscle 285 pounds, so opponents will do a hack a shack on him.

• Upvote 1

Observations from the Mabee Center:

• OSU is athletic and long - and we did a decent job of hanging with them
  • The Cowboys were very physical on defense… especially on Max. Curious that he only shot 2 free throws. 
  • Missed free throws were a major difference in the game - along with rebounds. 
  • We had small lineups on the floor for a good part of the game. I would have liked to see Jurgens and Gerton/Lufile on the court more. 
  • Phipps had a wide open shot at the end - and from my vantage point, the shot was right on line. It was just short. 
  • Very nice crowd with lots of ORU fans. It’s been quite a while since I had to wait that long to leave the Mabee Center parking lot 
  • Upvote 1

My thoughts on the game:

- DJ played like a big strong powerful 5! GREAT performance. Wish he could've hit another three or two, but I digress. I have to eat what I've been saying the last 6 games (and the offseason) about DJ. He really impressed me tonight. Still not completely sold on playing him exclusively at the 5, but it worked tonight. 

- MAX IS BACK. He was unstoppable. Even while being double teamed most of the night, he puts up 29. Unreal. He creates so many opportunities for the other guys, just by being out there. 

- I like Phipps. He's a good player. I can't quite figure out why he's getting so many minutes, though. Hasn't really been a great scoring option. Has been a liability on defense for the most part. Not sure what Mills sees in him in practice but hopefully we see it soon. 

- Kareem seems to have lost a bit of his confidence/mojo. Probably due to the battle for minutes with Phipps. He's not as sure of himself with the basketball and doesn't attack the rim in the same way he did last year. Hoping that's not long term. 

- The officiating was rough. Inconsistent and lots of missed calls/poor calls both ways. They definitely did not do us any favors. Significant bias.

- For Thanksgiving weekend, very nice student crowd.

- Walked by Caleb Green, Larry Owens, and Luke Spencer-Gardner all chatting together. Thought that was pretty cool.

Bring on TU - feeling optimistic. Reading their board this evening to get my juices flowing and... yikes. Thankful for the POSITIVITY and PLEASANT conversation on this board.  

4 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:
  • Phipps had a wide open shot at the end - and from my vantage point, the shot was right on line. It was just short. 

I started to celebrate until I saw Phipps react. Heartbreaking. 

Very impressed with Weavers play, he shot the ball well and was a factor inside. He now looks like the clear 2nd scoring option to Max, we just need him to be consistent with that level of play. 

I like that we were able to match OSU's aggressive, physical style of play and intensity. The good news for us was that OSU cannot shoot the ball at all, they will be in the bottom half of the Big XII, but we were absolutely able to play "power 5" conference basketball.

Lacis and Carlos also played well, Kareem needs to have a big game and get himself back on track. We are going to need all 5 of our starters to be factors moving forward as we saw in this game a lot of what we will see moving forward- which is Max being doubled early. OSU started in a true man to man but once Max got going, as soon as he got into the offense or that high pick was set, Max was doubled!! Get ready to see the kitchen sink thrown at Max, particularly now that he is shooting well.  

McBride is a good back up guard as he can handle the ball, score and is not a defensive liability. I'm still not sold on Phipps, he can shoot, but to me his ball handling and defense are not yet where they need to be for him to be a key factor for us. I would much prefer to see Herron getting some of those minutes that Phipps is getting as I think he has much more upside and could really help us later in the conference schedule and post season! As we move into conference games the rotation will get smaller, Max will not come out in close games like OSU so we can go to a three guard rotation, but we need Herron to get minutes to develop and stay engaged.  

We played much better then we have all year. We cant change it now, but I think if we would have played a little better schedule up to this game we may have been able to close it out better. As a team, you get much more out of a 1 point loss to to a good team, then a 60 or 71 point win against a horrible team!

Hopefully we continue to improve, play well against TU and the rest of the OOC games and are ready to hit the conference schedule executing well on offense, rebounding strong and playing tough, physical, aggressive D and teams need to try and match our effort and intensity!!       

Go Eagles!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Further random observations:

• Weaver had a good game, with several big shots & plays. He forced some 3-pointers late in the game where he got passes that were low or to his side - throwing off his rhythm. He should have just passed the ball. 
  • Lacis had a very good game. His absence (fouled out) in OT was huge. He made some nice shots and his block of the attempted dunk was epic. 
  • Abmas was so determined to shoot in the last couple of possessions, but OSU was equally determined not to let him. The result was a wide open look for Phipps. Could not have asked for a better situation. It was good to see the ‘old’ Max; he is fun to watch. I think even some of the OSU fans cheered when he made some of those shots. He played every minute of that game and was manhandled for most it.
  • We were seriously outrebounded (-17) but still had a chance to win. Glad Lufile saw some action. His size is helpful.

One thing that nobody has commented on was Max's defense yesterday. He is quite a bit sturdier in keeping guys out of the paint. That extra 12 pounds of muscle is coming in handy. He still gives up several inches on most assignments, but his man is going to have to shoot a contested jumper over him this year, not a contested layup like last year. 

• Upvote 1

I was at the game and had similar observations as others. However, I wanted to share a few more. 

First off, this was my first time in the renovated Mabee Center and it looks fantastic! The lighting upgrades add to the atmosphere and the new seats make it look like a new arena. 

Secondly, the in game atmosphere and overall production was great. ORU somehow found the elusive balance between the NBA and college game environments. It’s hard to describe, but it was really great. Additionally, while OSU fans probably outnumbered ORU fans 2-1, the student turnout was great and the ORU fans were a lot louder. 

Thirdly, everyone’s observations about the game are spot on. The refs were terrible, not giving the best player on the court any calls at all. Free throws and rebounds decided the game. 

Lastly, even though the end result was disappointing, I can’t help but sit back and appreciate how fun that game was! Big kudos to OSU for coming to Tulsa and playing this game. It was good for their Tulsa fans and it was good for ORU ticket sales.  It was a great game in (in my opinion) the best arena to watch a basketball game in the state. 

• Upvote 1