ORU-OSU

eagle88

Let's get the ball rolling. I'm more excited about all of your comments and expectations than mine. If we come in focused , hit our shots, play some good D I think we have a chance. We can't afford to give up easy buckets inside like NC State did. Hopefully Big Eli gets some good minutes and clogs up the middle. I like our chances if we get in an outside shooting contest with them and hopefully hit our shots. We seem to be getting more confident and comfortable  playing together. The Assistant AD told me the lower bowl is sold out and quite a few seats sold up top. There will be a lot of Poke fans so let's send them home disappointed!

Big shout out to OSU for coming to play ORU at the Mabee Center!  Maybe the biggest home game in ten years (believe OU was at the Mabee in 2011).

The Cowboys are a very underrated defensive team: only give up 59 points, block 7 shots a game, and average almost 13 steals.  That is good defense.  It will be interesting to see how Coach Mills attacks that defense.  Going to be hard for Max and McBride to just drive inside against a very long and athletic OSU team.

• Upvote 1

Many props to OSU for coming to Mabee Center when all other Power 5 schools avoid us like the plague.....heck, they won't even play ORU at their own buildings.....yeah, this is our biggest home game in a long time....hopefully this is an entertaining show for the fans.....GO BLUE!!...:shield-logo:

Oakland beat OSU in Stillwater, employing a zone defense for most of the game, exposing the Pokes outside shooting woes (3-17 from three).  It will be interesting to see if ORU shifts from its normal man-to-man approach.  If so, I would’ve thought that ORU would have tested out the zone in one of the non-D1 games, but perhaps they didn’t want to show anything to the OSU scout team. 

In their six games so far, the Cowboys appear to be a decent, but not a great rebounding team, as they are giving up a lot of offensive rebounds to the opposition.  If this continues, we should have a good chance to pull off a win at home. 

There will be a lot of orange in the Mabee Center on Friday.  I think I saw ORU playing a little zone when their starters were in vs Rogers State.  That might be a good strategy.

If Scott is at the game then he should be honored.  He may just have an office in Stillwater, not sure if he is on their bench anymore.

OSU is an interesting team.  They do not seem to have any real stars who average big numbers.  Instead, it is someone different each night who stands out.  The Cowboys have 11 guys who average between 5-10 points.  Talk about diversity.  Who are the main guys in the scouting report? Who do you try and slow down?

Here is the link to Oklahoma State’s stats thru 6 games:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/oklahoma-state/2022.html

The Cowboys are 5-1 on the season with their only loss against Oakland at home. A summary of their team stats:

Points per game: 77.5 (Opponents: 58.7)

FG%: 48.6% (Opponents: 34.5%)

3pt FG%: 32.0% (5.2/16.2)

FT%:  67.6%

Reb Margin:  +4.3

Assists:  16.3

Steals:  12.5

Blocks:  7.3

Turnovers:  16.5

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone as we celebrate the abundant blessings that we have been given and handed down to us by our forefathers and our Creator! Looking forward to a great game tomorrow and a big win for us! 

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!....TheEagleman would be very Thankful for an ORU victory at Mabee Center tomorrow....it won't be easy and the Good Guys will have to play their best basketball of the season to compete.....Max has to be at his best and we need some serious contributions from McBride and others....maybe a little Lufile/Herron action inside....I will go out on a limb and say ORU 77  OSU 75....down to the wire......GO BLUE!!!....:tb-blue:

The Pokes have 8 players who have been starters this season and several other with significant minutes. 

Thompson:  (6’5” Fr): 10.3 ppg; 46.0% FG & 41.2% 3pt (2.8 attempts per game); 2.5 rebs with 1.2 assists and 1.3 turnovers 

Anderson:  (6’3” Jr): 8.5 ppg; 36.2% FG & 30.8% 3pt; 2.2 rebs with 2.0 assists and 3.0 turnovers 

Cisse:  (6’10” So):  8.5 ppg; 62.5% FG; 5.8 reb with 1.8 turnovers 

Likekele:  (6’5” Sr):  6.8 ppg;  44.4% FG & no 3ptrs; 5.3 rebs with 3.8 assists and 2.2 assists 

Walker:  (6’4” So):  37.1% FG & 27.8% 3pt; 2.5 rebs with 1.5 assists and 1.5 turnovers 

Moncrieffe: (6’7” So):  6.5 ppg; 60.0% FG & no 3ptr; 5.7 rebs with 1.0 assists and 2.3 turnovers 

Williams: (6’5” So):  4.5 ppg; 36.4% FG & 20.0% 3pts; 2.0 rebs with 4.8 assists and 1.8 turnovers 

Kalib Boone: (6’9” Jr):  10.3 ppg; 69.6% FG with no 3 pt; 1.8 rebs with 1.0 assists, 1.5 turnovers and 3.3 blocks

Keylan Boone: (6’8” Jr)  7.2 ppg; 53.8% FG and 47.1% 3pt (2.8 attempts); 4.0 rebs with 1.2 assists and 0.7 turnovers 

I’ve just got a bad feeling about this game:  OSU is a very talented team that’s on a mission due to the postseason ban; ORU has a lot of intriguing parts but is struggling to find its identity.

Cowboys by 15 (seriously).

I agree, OSU is very talented - and deep. They are long and have lots of blocked shots as well as create turnovers. Conversely, they don’t shoot the ball well and commit a fair amount of turnovers themselves. ORU will need complete games from numerous players - especially our post players… and shoot well. 

TheEagleman can't argue with the above...Pokes are a 10 point favorite for a reason...O/U is 149.5....the play might be OSU and under....hard to have much confidence in the Good Guys based on what we have seen this season vs. D-1 competition...but Expect A Miracle... 😉 

To add to OSU's arsenal, they will be playing with a huge chip on their shoulder due to the unfair NCAA penalties. I would think that chip will be there all year and should motivate them a great deal in this game and the rest. I haven't seen them play, so I won't try to predict, but ORU will need to come out with "guns blazing" to have a chance. I believe they can and this is the game to prove that they weren't one year wonder last year. Let's go Eagles!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Surprised this game is not on any ESPN outlet but glad us out of towners can watch it on the ORU Sports Network.  Any one going to the game today?